Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Peat and Crazieness? page

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

Ray Peat and Crazieness?

Shop Now
    I have been on this website and have been doing Primal since June and have been very health conscious and low carb for many, many years before that. I had never even heard of Ray Peat before coming here. I read some recent posts about Ray Peat and was quite shocked by some of the advice. I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone's belief systems, I really don't, but I have to ask some questions. Why exactly is white sugar and orange juice supposed to be good for you? And why are salmon and avocados bad? I have read thousands and thousands of reputable health books and websites over the years and have never heard of such things. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Most people have just stopped arguing with them.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    They are here to prevent people from enjoying Primal success. And they actually think sugar is good. They aren't pretending, they don't know they are trolling. It's sort of like an infection. "Believe what we do, or we will all occupy this thread and spew the same bad pseudoscience in unison like robots." It's disgusting, horrid, and if they were around when I was new I'd never have broken my candy and sugar addiction. It's up to us who haven't completely abandoned this forum yet to assure newbies that Primal works, and to help them tweak it to suit their needs. Without syringes of white sugar.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    They are here to prevent people from enjoying Primal success. And they actually think sugar is good. They aren't pretending, they don't know they are trolling. It's sort of like an infection. "Believe what we do, or we will all occupy this thread and spew the same bad pseudoscience in unison like robots." It's disgusting, horrid, and if they were around when I was new I'd never have broken my candy and sugar addiction. It's up to us who haven't completely abandoned this forum yet to assure newbies that Primal works, and to help them tweak it to suit their needs. Without syringes of white sugar.
    Are candy and sugar the only things you were in the habit of eating pre-primal or were there more things that you ate along with them?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I just cannot understand or comprehend how anyone can think white sugar is good for you. It just defies basic common sense and Nutrition 101, and this whole Ray Peat thing seems like it is taking over the whole forum. Even Yahoo news is saying that fruit juice is bad now. And how can avocados and salmon be bad, do they mean farmed salmon? I could understand that. A lot of it seems so anti-primal. I am sure Mark doesn't agree with these views. Why doesn't he do something about it?

peril is offline Senior Member
    The only viable approach to this for Mark would be to close down the forum. Tough choice
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Yeah, I just cannot understand or comprehend how anyone can think white sugar is good for you. It just defies basic common sense and Nutrition 101, and this whole Ray Peat thing seems like it is taking over the whole forum. Even Yahoo news is saying that fruit juice is bad now. And how can avocados and salmon be bad, do they mean farmed salmon? I could understand that. A lot of it seems so anti-primal. I am sure Mark doesn't agree with these views. Why doesn't he do something about it?
    Because the only thing that matters is how many eyes view a website. If the Arsenic and Old Lace Diet became a thing and brought in 5000 new eyes, that would be fine.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Are candy and sugar the only things you were in the habit of eating pre-primal or were there more things that you ate along with them?
    Largely, yes. Copious amounts of soda and candy. Sure, I also ate a lot of fast food, too! I ate only the cheapest, worst food. Are you suggesting I reintroduce large amounts of carbohydrate to my diet? After ditching all that stuff made me so much healthier? Yes, I understand that grains and trash oils are not the same thing as a sweet potato cooked in tallow. Not even close. But when I eat starchy, carby foods, my gut revolts! Even recently. So I get all my micronutrients the "wild" way, from organ meats, berries, seaweed, shellfish, cooked greens again (Lately. Ever try fried nettle? It's crispy!) etc. instead. And so I ask, if I can be so nutritionally complete and healthy on these starch-less and rather low-carb foods, and I'm in great health (aside from having to avoid foods that make me sick), why wouldn't I eat this way forever? And what of all the other people here, who had the guidance to try it correctly, and also have had great success? I'm sorry your thyroid gland is crap, but stop pushing that on me, and stop dissuading people who earnestly want to enjoy the dental, mental, thermal, and satiety benefits of a nutritionally complete very low carb menu.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 10-06-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    there's been a lot of weird diet hacks just in the time i've been here, potatoes, cold showers, etc. none of those were deleted because this is a largely unmodded forum and people like to experiment
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Largely, yes. Copious amounts of soda and candy. Sure, I also ate a lot of fast food, too! I ate only the cheapest, worst food. Are you suggesting I reintroduce large amounts of carbohydrate to my diet? After ditching all that stuff made me so much healthier? Yes, I understand that grains and trash oils are not the same thing as a sweet potato cooked in tallow. Not even close. But when I eat starchy, carby foods, my gut revolts! Even recently. So I get all my micronutrients the "wild" way, from organ meats, berries, seaweed, shellfish, cooked greens again (Lately. Ever try fried nettle? It's crispy!) etc. instead. And so I ask, if I can be so nutritionally complete and healthy on these starch-less and rather low-carb foods, and I'm in great health (aside from having to avoid foods that make me sick), why wouldn't I eat this way forever? And what of all the other people here, who had the guidance to try it correctly, and also have had great success? I'm sorry your thyroid gland is crap, but stop pushing that on me, and stop dissuading people who earnestly want to enjoy the dental, mental, thermal, and satiety benefits of a nutritionally complete very low carb menu.
    I don't think you should change a thing if what you are doing works for you and you are happy, but I do recall you saying you'd like to be able to eat a wider selection of food without having near death experiences, so that means you probably have room for improvement that your current diet is not addressing. Besides, I don't think sugar and fruit were your problem pre-primal. I think like most others with similar histories there were a lot of confounding factors. Even one day a week of trashy foods in rancid oils can make a difference. And soda with HFCS is also not the same as sugar. Also, what kind of candy? Was there soy and dyes in it? Nuts? Hydrogenated oils? These are all very different than adding sugar to coffee. Peat doesn't recommend just eating candy; he says having some gummy bears for the gelatin once in a while is ok, and chocolate is ok. He never prescribes eating Twix to your heart's content. That's some Matt Stone crazy talk.

I honestly think that most people can keep sugar and fruit and even starch in their diets if they eliminate all the other toxic crap and have just as good results as Primal yields. It's not what you eat as much as what you avoid. You avoided toxic foods in one fashion, Peat people do it in another. Nutrient-dense foods are priority; sugar and all other supplements at one's discretion. Peat would never recommend a one-size-fits-all approach. There's a misunderstanding somewhere if you believe that's what he intends to come of his writing.

My thyroid isn't crap that I know of, but I think Peat protocol is a healthy option that's largely misunderstood by the naysayers. It all depends on what you want to eat most. And then there's the theory of if mixing fructose with PUFAs has any impact on health and so on. Bottom line is, Peat is like radical Primal. It's just a variation that puts emphasis on hormonal and metabolic health. Mark has some really disgusting recipes that are like 800 calories of nuts that make a fauxtmeal porridge. Is that really healthier than eating milk, fruit, oysters, liver, potatoes, and adding sugar to coffee?

I challenge anyone to put reasonable amounts of Peat food recommendations into cronometer.com and tell me what the problem is. Let's see it.
    Last edited by j3nn; 10-06-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast