Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overweight, middle-aged, sore ankles . . . how do I improve my walking?? page

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member

Overweight, middle-aged, sore ankles . . . how do I improve my walking??

Primal Fuel
    I'm 50, female, not fit, and about 50lbs overweight (I mention this in case it is relevant - I'm improving in the fitness and weight areas, but the age, not so much ).

I generally wear very low or no heels when I'm out and go barefoot at home - always have done, so this isn't new. I'm getting really sore ankles now, though, and I'm wondering if it's how I'm walking.

I think I'm coming down really heavily on my heel, and it's stressing the joint towards the back of my ankle. If I'm sitting down for a while (like for the 1/2 hr drive home) when I get out of the car I feel like my ankle can't bend and I limp in pain for the first few steps until it loosens up again.

It's bizarre to be my age and trying to figure out how to walk . Walking is an important part of my fitness plan, and this is really getting in my way!! Do any of you have any bright ideas about how I can work on this??
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Just keep walking. In my late 30s I decided to get in shape by walking and went through a phase where my hips hurt a lot. I just kept walking and it sorted out. Walking seems to fix everything if you just keep doing it. Little pains come and go.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i second keep walking, but try to be more gentle on your heels.

sometimes my feet get tight after driving for lengths of time and hobbling til i can walk again gets everything back to normal
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    try to be more gentle on your heels
    Should the heels be the first part of the foot on the ground?? (OMFG, have you ever tried to analyse something that's this automatic?? I started trying to concentrate on how I was walking and damn near fell over!)
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Can you get down into a squat position?

Sent via F-22 Raptor

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i wouldn't say focus on them, but keep the sensation of your heels hitting the ground at the front of your mind. if i feel my heels stomp on the ground i ease up a little til it's like a soft roll from heels to toes

yeah i walk heels-first and jog on my toes
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Fisherlassie is offline Junior Member
    I agree with the keep walking suggestions. Being strong will decrease the pain. Two years ago I was 90 lb heavier and even waddling was painful. Now I run and lift and skate board! I still have pain but it is nothing like what it used to be and it mostly has to do with something that makes sense like over doing it on something. I'm so impressed that you are starting out on this journey!!! Go you!!

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Can you get down into a squat position?
    Hahahahahaha. Ummm. No.

Seriously, though, it's something I'm working on. At the moment my knees go in, my ass goes out, everything creaks - and sometimes I fall over. I'm better if I hold onto something like the post on the porch. Every so often I feel my legs and ass take the weight and it feels fantastic. Then I lose it again.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Yes, you're all quite right about carrying on with the walking. I just don't know that I can carry on without shoes or with flat tennis shoes - I've been doing this for over 2 years, and lately it's getting worse. At first I assumed it was general inflammation, but now I'm wondering if it's mechanical instead.

As crazy as it seems, I'm actually about 10000% better than when I started this way of life!! I just want more awesomeness . Greedy much??
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

jammies is offline Senior Member
    How's your vitamin D3 level? I get heel pain whenever mine is low. Maybe ankle pain wouldn't be too far off from that.

Also, have you every tried a trial without nightshades? Some people have a major elimination of joint issues when they give them up.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast