Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overweight, middle-aged, sore ankles . . . how do I improve my walking?? page 3

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Have you tried swimming first?
    Swimming is a good way to train muscles without any interference of weight. You can use it to make your muscles stronger and your joints more flexible before doing miles of walking.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    ++ don't overstride
    To go faster increase your cadence
    count steps 1 2 3 4
    get it down to 12341234

Your knee should give a little at footstrike
    Too much is asking for knee trouble
    A locked knee may be too harsh

If problems persist and you have $$$ to throw at the problem
    check out Hoka One One shoes
    they're not typcial raised heel padded running shoes, more like a flat shoe that's very cushioned.
    I've only had mine a week and a half but they're seeming near-miraculous so far.

Jac
    Jac is online now Senior Member
    Yes, the last couple of days I've concentrated on a shorter stride and it's working . It's also made me realise what a weird gait I have - I kind of lope along and my feet swing outwards. Taking smaller steps means I'm standing up straighter and my walking looks 'neater' somehow. I'm spending more time on the middle of my foot - I think that's the 'rolling through' thing, and definitely a lot less of a thump on my heel. Fantastic suggestions, thanks!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    how are you knees btw? when i was at the gym today there was a man there coaching a woman to do like one legged curtseys almost. i asked if they were for ankles but he reckoned knees. they were also doing swiss ball squats against the wall.

Jac
    My knees are, as you'd expect, dodgy. So are my hips. But they're all coming right, slowly. If I get my legs in the right position I can squat without hurting my knees - it's all about strengthening my quads and glutes, and lengthening my hamstrings (I think - from what I've been able to work out!)

Oh, and I'm definitely getting a swiss ball. Maybe a balance board as well.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

i love balance boards! i am not going all Peat on you as i was doing this WAY before i even knew who he was but supplement with Gelatin and Sodium ascorbate for your joints. i have to look up some olympic lifting you-tubes tonight so i will see if i can find a you-tube of a hammy partner stretch they taught us at tech. the tutor reckoned it was a very good injury prevention stretch.

Jac
    Funny, I was just reading about gelatin! I eat lots of cheap meat cuts that still have the ligaments etc - my stews always set when they cool off, lol. But I could easily add a bit of gelatin. I hadn't heard of sodium ascorbate, though. I'll keep that in mind, but for now have committed to only taking the supplements I'm prescribed. I'll check their ingredients, though - there's a shitload of stuff in the protein shake.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

skotcharu is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest a good pair of ankle high hiking boots for your walks. It would not only give your ankles great support but also will provide support for your feet especially your heels. Or even ankle braces from a sports store. You need to protect your ankles until they get strong enough to go without support.

Get ankle support, walk slower, walk more and let your body aclimate. Let your body guide you.

Get ankle support, walk slower, walk more and let your body aclimate. Let your body guide you.
    i think the issue tho is if you always support your ankles, they will never get strong enough to walk without support. jac didnt G used to say to do the one foot balance with your eyes closed? i'm trying to remember all the advice i got last time i did something nasty to my ankle. one foot balances would be good for strengthening not just the ankle but the whole leg including the glute as all those muscles have to stabilise.

Jac
    That's what I'm worried about - I want to strengthen, and if I wear the boots then my muscles either have no reason to strengthen, or the'll do it in the wrong way. I remember the advice about standing on one foot - and I think the balance board will help, too. Do you ever hear from her??

Edited to add that several hours of walking on concrete (not my choice) with shorter paces has resulted in aching thigh muscles (the good 'used' kind of ache) and no ankle pain. Weird how such a small change can effect everything.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast