Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lift, stretch, run...and repeat page

heatherp is offline Senior Member

Lift, stretch, run...and repeat

Primal Fuel
    Tracking my progress (and search for an ass)...

Goal: Lift heavy, 2*/week
    Stretch: 1 hot yoga class */week
    Run: jog or touch or sprints 2-3*/week

This week

Monday 07Oct:
    - warm up
    - chin ups (assisted): warm up set 36kg*10, 3 sets 32kg*10
    - deadlift: warm up set 15kg*10, 3 sets 30kg*12
    - pushups (no weight): 3*10
    - squats: warm up set 10kg*10, 3 sets 25kg*12 (1) and then 27.5kg (2)
    - plank (1min)

Highlights: going at all given how tired I am....using the squat rack
    Lowlight: lame music playing the whole time.

Last week

Sunday 06Oct: hot yoga, 1.5hrs

Friday 04Oct
    First gym session!
    - warm up
    - chin ups (assisted): warm up set 36kg*05, 3 sets 32kg*10
    - deadlift: warm up set 15kg*10, 3 sets 25kg*12
    - pushups (no weight): 3*10
    - squats: warm up set 10kg*10, 3 sets 25kg*12
    - plank (1min)

Bought the 'Starting Strength' book on my Kindle this morning! Really interesting to read how a squat should be done... I changed my technique today and the squats felt MUCH harder, was struggling to get to 10 at 27.5kg.
    I'm sure I'm not quite there with the technique but will keep trying.

Thurs 10 Oct:
    - warm up
    - pushups (no weight): 3*10...a little easier than they have been before, woo!
    - deadlift: warm up set 15kg*10, 3 sets at 30kg*12 ....must look at SS to make sure I'm doing that right, too!
    - squats: warm up set 10kg*10, 3 sets at 27.5kg*10...might swap to SS defined sets of 5?
    - chin ups (assisted): warm up set 36kg*10, 3 sets 32kg*7....doing these last so much harder than doing it first!
    Forgot* to do plank, oops.

*didn't really forget. Decided I needed to get back to work for work.
    By 'work' I mean 'eat lunch'.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherp View Post
    Bought the 'Starting Strength' book on my Kindle this morning! Really interesting to read how a squat should be done... I changed my technique today and the squats felt MUCH harder, was struggling to get to 10 at 27.5kg.
    Nice!

quikky is offline Senior Member

Thurs 10 Oct:
    - warm up
    - deadlift: warm up set 15kg*10, 3 sets at 30kg*12 ....must look at SS to make sure I'm doing that right, too!
    - squats: warm up set 10kg*10, 3 sets at 27.5kg*10...might swap to SS defined sets of 5?
    - chin ups (assisted): warm up set 36kg*10, 3 sets 32kg*7....doing these last so much harder than doing it first!

Hey, just some suggestions for you regarding deadlifts:

1. Do squats first.
    2. Don't do 3 sets of deadlifts for 12 reps each. It's great that you got the SS book, so after you read the deadlift chapter, switch to doing single sets of 5. It might seem fine now, but as you get stronger, doing 3 sets of deadlifts will be suicide.

In terms of the workout, you can follow the Starting Strength template (modified to substitute power cleans for chin-ups) for a while:

Workout A
    Squat x 5 x 3
    Bench Press x 5 x 3
    Deadlift x 5 x 1

Workout B
    Squat x 5 x 3
    Press x 5 x 3
    Chin-ups x X x 3

You simply alternate between the two workouts, three times a week, typically Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member

Thurs 10 Oct:
    - warm up

Don't be overly concerned with your rep range, whether 5 reps or 12 reps makes no difference. It is the intensity of effort and time under load that determines your progress.Providing you are kicking ass and the sets are lasting between approximately 50-90 seconds then you will stimulate improvement !

Ps. And don't forget to keep all the reps strict,slow and smooth, you are wanting to increase tension on the muscle and make reps harder not blast through them removing tension and making them easier.
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 10-10-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    1. Do squats first.
    2. Don't do 3 sets of deadlifts for 12 reps each. It's great that you got the SS book, so after you read the deadlift chapter, switch to doing single sets of 5. It might seem fine now, but as you get stronger, doing 3 sets of deadlifts will be suicide.
    Workout A
    Squat x 5 x 3
    Bench Press x 5 x 3
    Deadlift x 5 x 1

Workout B
    Squat x 5 x 3
    Press x 5 x 3
    Chin-ups x X x 3

You simply alternate between the two workouts, three times a week, typically Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
    Hey thanks quikky & RM! I'll give that a whirl.

If I do change to single-set deadlift *5 reps, how much should I load the bar with?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Ps. And don't forget to keep all the reps strict,slow and smooth, you are wanting to increase tension on the muscle and make reps harder not blast through them removing tension and making them easier.
    I'm really focussing on that, super slow and for my squat, lowering for a slow count of 4-5 and then up at the same rate, even though its tempting just to blast up

Hey thanks quikky & RM! I'll give that a whirl.

If I do change to single-set deadlift *5 reps, how much should I load the bar with?
    Gradually increase the weight until it starts to feel heavy. Considering your last weight of 30kg x 12 x 3, I think you'll end up around 35-45kg. Once that happens, do that for 5 reps and that's your first deadlift workout. Increase 10lb each workout until it starts to feel like you might not finish the next +10lb. Then switch to 5lb increments. Eventually, you'll move to deadlifting once a week, however you don't need to worry about that yet.

I'm really focussing on that, super slow and for my squat, lowering for a slow count of 4-5 and then up at the same rate, even though its tempting just to blast up
    There is no reason to go super slow - you're wasting energy instead of completing the reps. You can go as fast as you want provided two things happen: proper form and proper depth.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    There is no reason to go super slow - you're wasting energy instead of completing the reps. You can go as fast as you want provided two things happen: proper form and proper depth.
    And providing it meets a time under tension time of 50-90 seconds........6-8 quick reps just ain't gonna cut it ! And just how is time under tension wasting energy ?
    Fast reps are akin to ticking off only the first and last numbers on a bingo card, without hitting the numbers in-between you aren't going to get the prize.

The Science behind Time under Tension and Muscle Failure for Muscular Hypertrophy | About Lifting
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 10-10-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast