Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to giving my baby 'baby rice' and cereal page

BellaBoo is offline Junior Member

Alternative to giving my baby 'baby rice' and cereal

Shop Now
    Hi, I am new on the website. We have a baby who I am going to be introducing food to. I am not overly enamoured about giving her 'baby rice' or cereal. Can anyone give me a good alternative breakfast. There is so much conflicting information. I ate eggs every day whilst pregnant. I really want to give her egg yolk, but again, there is so much contradictory advice.

What do i give for breakfast?? Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks x

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    I feed my now 9 month old a mix of sweet potato, carrots, cooked spinach, applesauce, whole boiled eggs crushed with butter and meat chicken or fish. Sometimes it is a piece of steak or jerky to suck on and sometimes it is ground up and mixed with fat to make it easier to swallow. Basically it is the same foods we eat but processed so she does not have to chew it.

No sugar no grains no honey yet and otherwise she eats the foods we do. introduce them slowly and see what she can deal with then mush it up or chew it up and go for it.

good luck.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    With my first I did the conventional CW baby foods, but with my second, I mostly just fed stuff we were already eating. I bought a food mill and puréed meat/veggie mixes we had for dinner or gave her organic, no sugar added, baby food fruit. She didn't care if breakfast was leftover dinner. I did try to avoid all the standard allergens. I also felt that between 6 mos and 1 yr, her breast milk supplement was enough that I didn't need to stress over what other foods she was eating. She nursed during the night that whole time, so she was getting quite a bit.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    I was CW with my babies as well but rice cereal was just there if I didn't have fruit or veggies. Not sure when I introduced eggs

abraka8 is offline Member
    My daughter's first non-milk foods were banana and avocado. Both are good sources of calories, both are portable and mashable, and she loved them. After that we added a lot of baked fall squashes, which she loved as well.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    There is no need for most babies to get rice cereal. Have you ever read about "baby led weaning"? I have a few friends who have tried it with great results. It does freak me out a bit to see those little ones eating big food, but to be honest they seem to have less issues with choking than the people I know who did cereal/baby food.

Baby Led Weaning - The Mush Stops Here!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

ortomhuli is offline Junior Member
    After that we added a lot of baked fall squashes, which she loved as well.

We did the baby led weaning thing. Her first food was diced chicken. Then all kinds of fruits and veggies. She had one lick of "baby food" and spit it out. We'll be doing the same thing with our 6 month-old soon. There's just no redeeming value to that baby gruel. Luckily, our pediatrician agrees.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    My baby's first foods were banana, rice cooked in broth, egg yolk, carrots, pumpkin. She liked her food very bland or slightly sweet. She always spat out the baby foods from the store.

KKchick is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    With my third I did baby lead weaning. So his first food at 6 months was a piece of cooked carrot and a piece of cooked yam. Now he eats everything real - 13 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast