Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mmm soylent green page 4

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    It's getting to the point now where I'm posing to myself this ethical question: "Do we need to start killing these vegan whackjobs in order to survive?"
    Need to?

Why drag it down to the level of "ethics" ?

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Maybe we can see the lighter side of things now.

If fake meat becomes popular, then maybe the demand for real meat will fall. Companies that have industrial farms and slaughterhouses will convert themselves from manufacturing cows to manufacturing cow-flavored soy product. Farmers will keep growing organic and grass fed animals for those (like us) who still demand meat, but the prices will be lower due to the lower demand.

Then those who bought into soy product will start getting sick and kill themselves without realizing why, thereby reducing the global overpopulation. With less people (who righteously selected themselves out of the gene pool), we have less green house gas production, less pollution produced, making mother nature and the earth happy. Then we can all step outside after dinner (which consists of yummy bacon and steak) and breathe fresh soy free air.

Perhaps fake meat is the best thing that ever happened to us!
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post

If fake meat becomes popular, then maybe the demand for real meat will fall. Companies that have industrial farms and slaughterhouses will convert themselves from manufacturing cows to manufacturing cow-flavored soy product. Farmers will keep growing organic and grass fed animals for those (like us) who still demand meat, but the prices will be lower due to the lower demand.

Then those who bought into soy product will start getting sick and kill themselves without realizing why, thereby reducing the global overpopulation. With less people (who righteously selected themselves out of the gene pool), we have less green house gas production, less pollution produced, making mother nature and the earth happy. Then we can all step outside after dinner (which consists of yummy bacon and steak) and breathe fresh soy free air.

That's why I love the vegetarians. More for me!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I take some faith in the fact that the busiest isles in my supermarket are the meat ones and the dairy/deli one, followed closely by the veg. Also Farmers Markets have become more popular (they didn't exist just a few years back - here at least) and I don't think people are going to buy soy products. My local supermarket has recently started selling 'traditional' milk which is not homogenised and is full fat. I wonder if there are inklings of a sea change back to real food and not frankenfoods like soy sausages.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Farmers will keep growing organic and grass fed animals for those (like us) who still demand meat, but the prices will be lower due to the lower demand.
    Most of the Western world doesn't give a hoot about grass fed animals, and it's some of the most expensive meat there is. I'm no economist but it seems that in a world dominated by fake soy meat, the price of real meat will skyrocket as there's less incentive for farmers to devote their time and resources to pasturing animals.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Originally Posted by primalpanda
    The methane thing isn't bullshit, grain-fed cows in close proximity produce massive (and unnatural) amounts of methane, FAR more than cows raised on grass in traditional ways. And massive pig farms really do produce giant lagoons of excrement that seep into the ground water and make neighboring communities sick.

Response from Darth Friendly:

"yes, but in what porportion to other sources of greenhouse gasses are cow farts contributing? My understanding is that there are far, far more damaging, and more numerous emissions coming from other man made sources. Although it's been a while since I checked, so I could be wrong about that. The real danger from methane, as far as I am aware isn't from cow shit, but from the gasses that are trapped under the artic regions of the planet, at a certain point, the globe will warm to the point that the permafrost will thaw, and so much more methane will be released that it will dwarf all other green house gasses combined. Supposedly."

Yea. You don't have to stop kicking me because that isn't as bad as when you are hitting my with that hammer.
    Last edited by periquin; 06-09-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Not going to happen. Once fake meat takes hold real meat will be illegal. Look at how many states in the US have made raw dairy illegal now.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Not going to happen. Once fake meat takes hold real meat will be illegal. Look at how many states in the US have made raw dairy illegal now.
    Ahh my hope for cheaper cleaner meat was only shaded by soylent-green colored glasses.

I wonder if the writers of soylent green deliberately used the word 'soy' in their title; soylent chicken seems to be more appropriate though.

Its even hard to get real raw almonds here, as all the ones grown in the US are chemically pasteurized to avoid salmonella. Salmonella itself is a product of raising the food unnaturally. No one wonders why the animals raised in the industrial meat factories are always so sick whereas the animals raised properly by farmers are less likely to be so. Hey, we are also always sick and depressed. Cows that eat corn and soy are sick, people that eat corn and soy are sick. Cows that don't eat corn and soy are not sick, same with the people. Connection? Probably. Change? Probably not, there is too much money invested in corn, soy, wheat, and all that other GMO crap to even consider that those products are slowly killing society.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

But this will lower the supply of good organic grass fed meats. Lower supply = higher prices. What we really want is for more people to wake up and demand primal foods. Yes, the price will go up for a bit because of the increase in demand. But this sends a signal to others to start producing primal foods. There are profits (good things) to be had supplying these foods! Supply goes up in due time and the prices come down. Most everyone is happier and healthier as a result.

But has been pointed out, it doesn't work too well when the State barges in and makes real food (like raw milk) illegal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234