Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mmm soylent green page 2

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    When I read the title, 'Soylent Green' I thought the thread was going to be on this subject:

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-g...hout-the-guilt

After all, Soylent Green is..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    This is what gets me every time. If eating animals is unethical and immoral, then why are the vegetarians trying so hard to make processed soy products that look and [supposedly] taste like MEAT. Wouldn't one think that the person disgusted with the idea of consuming animal products would want to abscond from anything that is supposed to resemble animal products.

What's next, animal free bacon fat? tofu eggs?

I still can't believe that people don't put the two and two together: if soy is supposed to be good for you and aid in a healthy and lean lifestyle, why is it fed to animals to fatten them up prior to slaughter?
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    DO NOT WANT.

I am very happy with my real, comes-from-a-cow steak, thank you very much.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    There was someone on Etsy making pendants stamped with 'soylent green is people'. I so wanted one!

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCOHTom View Post
    When I read the title, 'Soylent Green' I thought the thread was going to be on this subject:

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-g...hout-the-guilt

After all, Soylent Green is..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE
    Well, I suppose if it keeps people from going out and barbecuing their neighbors...
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow...

The more I think about it, the more I believe that this whole "low fat vs. low carb" thing that's been going on for decades is just the most recent iteration of a more fundamental battle: animals as food vs. plants as food.

The evidence overwhelmingly points to humans being omnivorous for the entirety of our evolution, gorging on copious amounts of both meat and veggies, with some eggs, fruit, nuts and seeds thrown into the mix. Like all of the (strong, lean) wild animals today, this "natural" diet was one that we didn't consciously choose - simply one that efficiently matched our evolved instincts with our environments.

But one thing separates us from the other animals: our increased level of consciousness. We can observe our instincts somewhat objectively. Somewhere along the line, people started getting freaked out about eating animals as it gives a more vivid reminder of the necessity of life to feed off other life in order to survive.

It's from this that vegetarianism came from, an ideology focused more on subjective ethics than objective health. And it's not just the veg*ns who are terrified of meat, we all are. From Ancel Keys demonizing fat and cholesterol all the way up to the T. Colin Campbells and Dean Ornishes of today, we've all been conditioned to go against our instincts to eat meat and, when we do eat it, have sterilized it as much as possible. Meat must be skinless and boneless. Marrow and organs are disgusting... and now meat must be grown in a laboratory from vegetable-based ingredients.

Double-you tee eff.

As excited as I am for the whole burgeoning Primal movement, I fear that the world as a whole is moving further and further away from it, and stories like this reinforce that anxiety. Because it is only when we are able to confront the realities of our ancestral diet (both good and bad) that we will be able to undo all the havoc we have done on our bodies.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

primalpanda is offline Member
    The methane thing isn't bullshit, grain-fed cows in close proximity produce massive (and unnatural) amounts of methane, FAR more than cows raised on grass in traditional ways. And massive pig farms really do produce giant lagoons of excrement that seep into the ground water and make neighboring communities sick.

As proponents of grass-fed, naturally-raised meat, why the testy responses? You'd think that one thing vegetarians and PBers alike would agree on is that the industrial food system is unhealthy for humans, animals, and the environment.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    this made me sad. sad for our world, for our animals, for our people.

periquin is offline Senior Member

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    see - doomed. The human race really is determined to wipe itself out. FFS. These are the same people who don't trust science to safely vaccinate their children against rampant disease, who'd rather have someone wave their hands about in 'energy healing' rather than trust a drug that's been tested and actually works, who will rage against stem cell research and would rather keep burning coal than trust humans to run a nuclear plant - but they are willing to subsist on a pseudo-food entirely created in a laboratory.

I. Just. just. ARGH >implode<

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast