Thread: HIIT Gives me Horrific Insomnia no Matter What I Eat/Supplements I Take

Threaded View

HIIT Gives me Horrific Insomnia no Matter What I Eat/Supplements I Take

I would love to do HIIT, but even a 15 minute workout, with 1 minute rest periods between sets gives me horrific insomnia--meaning I can't sleep AT ALL, all night long. I take melatonin, GABA and have tried taking Seriphos to reduce cortisol, but no matter what I do, I cannot do HIIT, even in the morning, and then sleep that night.

I've had lifelong insomnia anyways, even when I was a baby, and have never been able to fall asleep without lying in bed for at least two hours, wide awake, no matter what I take. I'm off sleep prescriptions, but even when I took hardcore pharmaceuticals, I'd still lie awake for hours before falling asleep. Low light for hours before bedtime helps but doesn't solve the problem. I also use soft music, subliminal sleep tapes, meditation, positive thinking, aromatherapy, hot baths, magnesium, lemon balm, ashwaganda, holy basil, valerian, passionflower, no computer or tv before bed, but I still lie awake 1-2 hours before falling asleep, if I'm lucky, and then wake up at 3am and have to take more sleep supplements. Sorry for the rant, but wanted to give some background.

I'm a 35 year old female, and I think I have normal hormone levels. Last time I tested them two years ago they were fine and my periods are very regular. I've suffered from adrenal fatigue many times in my life, but am pretty much recovered now. Also, my thyroid levels are normal.

Basically, I have to do very very light cardio and lifting, at the level of a 65 year old, even though I'm only 35. Otherwise, my body acts as if I'm over training. I have good muscle tone and am a healthy weight, but I have to work out as if I'm a grandma, or my body produces so much cortisol that I won't be able to sleep at all. Seriphos and regular phosphotidyl serine are supposed to reduce cortisol, and I think they do, but it's not enough. Does anyone else have this problem?

Eating more carbs seems to help a little. I eat yams, fruit and plantain flour bread that I bake. If I don't eat enough carb the cortisol response is even worse. I've tried going low carb and got so sick and depressed I was non-functional, so now I eat about 150 g of carb per day, and am still able to maintain a healthy weight and sleep a little better than I was on the low carb diet.

I eat protein and carb right after my workout and never workout in a fasted state. I don't care if that means I'll lose less weight or stop my HGH release. I need to stay alive and sleep and avoid adrenal fatigue, so anything I can do to reduce cortisol release is worth it to me.

I'm going to try lightening my weight lifting to grandma levels, and only doing cardio for 30 minutes or less, and never let my heart rate get above 150, even though 85% of my VO2 Max is 164, and all exercise gurus who tout HIIT encourage everyone to get up into that anaerobic range. Burning the extra calories after my workout just doesn't seem worth it to me if my cortisol levels will go through the roof and I won't be able to sleep.

It's depressing to think that if I lived in Grok's era, I would be the first to get eaten by saber toothed tigers. It doesn't seem natural to me, that I need to take all these supplements just to sleep, and can't stand short periods of vigorous exercise.

Sorry, I have to whine once more. I WANT SO MUCH TO BE AN ATHLETE AND DO TRIATHALONS. Motivation is not my problem. I tend to overdo exercise, which is why I've had adrenal fatigue so many times. I guess my mind's desires and my body's abilities are in conflict. Maybe some people were born to just walk and do yoga and others were born to do marathons? Gentle exercise is so boring. Sigh.

If anyone has advice, I'll be so grateful to receive it. And if anyone else has similar problems, I wanted you to know you aren't alone, and I really feel for you. I hope we solve our problem!
    Last edited by michaelsa1214; 10-06-2013 at 03:06 PM.