Thread: Post Workout Carbs and Ketosis page

grace2985 is offline Junior Member

Post Workout Carbs and Ketosis

Shop Now
    So if I'm trying to get into ketosis, should i skip post workout carbs or will those not affect me getting into ketosis because my body is using the carbs? And then once im in ketosis should I do post workout carbs or just sick to protein? Thanks!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    If you insist on being in ketosis full time, carbing up post-workout will likely compromise your ketogenic state. High protein intake
    would likely have similar effect. Ketogenic diet is one high in fat, low to medium protein, very low carb. Your workouts are fueled by dietary fat and afaik there is no refeeding afterwards, but of course you can still have a very low carb meal or snack.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    If you want to make the most of your workouts then just replacing the calories burned with an extra meal will stall progress. Similarly you will get stuck with not eating carbs as your metabolism will slow down. My advice would be to refeed good carbs on one or two training days per week and use IF to make sure that your body can use fat for energy when required.
    What are your goals?
    What do you do and eat currently?
    Are you pleased with the progress you're making?
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It is easy to maintain in ketosis, without refeeds. As for really hard workouts, I've only recently ramped up on that (hour-long bike rides, sprinting 2x a week, actually running (trying to find exhaustion). But I've been very low carb, often keto for three years and, with moderate but not extreme workouts (15 minute stuff, sprints, bodyweight, lifting heavy things), have not regularly needed carb-ups. They do help soreness go away faster for me, though!

As for metabolism - without a sealed room and weeks to experiment in every season and controlling for every variable, you cannot know whether your metabolism is changing one bit.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

rockrunner Guest
    It just really depends on what kind of workouts your doing and where your starting from. Are you trying to lose weight?

grace2985 is offline Junior Member
    Im currently doing CrossFit 3xs per week, and im thinking about training for a half marathon, which would add 2 days of light running, a day of sprints, and a long run. So far, im only day 2 of just trying to get into ketosis, so im still not sure of i will perform during workouts. My goal is mainly to be fat adapted and reduce fat.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grace2985 View Post
    Im currently doing CrossFit 3xs per week, and im thinking about training for a half marathon, which would add 2 days of light running, a day of sprints, and a long run. So far, im only day 2 of just trying to get into ketosis, so im still not sure of i will perform during workouts. My goal is mainly to be fat adapted and reduce fat.
    That training schedule, plus trying for ketosis, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grace2985 View Post
    Why would you even be considering a ketogenic diet? Ketosis is designed for human beings to survive starvation. It isn't supposed to fuel any kind of activity. The biological point of ketones is to supplement the brain's energy when glucose is unavailable to your body doesn't consume its muscles and organs at such a rapid rate. Why would you want to build muscle through Crossfit while simultaneously attempting a diet that is designed to consume muscle? Muscle growth + metabolic starvation, as Mr. Anthony said, is a disaster waiting to happen.

Crossfit + marathon training...you'd probably want something like 400-500g of carbohydrate a day and considerably less fat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ortomhuli is offline Junior Member
    It still not sure of i will perform during workouts. My goal is mainly to be fat adapted and reduce fat.

mks8500 is offline Member
    I'm able to perform while in ketosis without refeeds also. I'm also training for a half-marathon though I'm still a few months out. Depending on how deep into ketosis you are, what your goals are and what your refeed looks like (oh, and how your body reacts to carbs in general) will all be factors that will play into answering your question. I did a long run on Saturday and when I got back my ketones were around 2.4. I'm guessing that I could've had a few planned carbs as a refeed that day but never felt like I needed them. This will be your N=1 experiment for your body. Figure out what works for you and your goals.