Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misguided "low fat" message runs very very deep page

zebonaut is offline Senior Member

Misguided "low fat" message runs very very deep

Primal Fuel
    Currently lunching on full fat greek yogurt. Still has 9 grams of sugar per serving; but thats better than 30. So 2 servings gives me 18 grams of sugar. Any brands out there with less sugar?

Funny thing is; I buy it a Trader Joes; the other day at Giant; their ENTIRE yogurt sectiion was comprised of "low fat" and "non fat" only! Seems full fat yogurt is an anathema to the misguided masses....

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Buy plain yogurt, not flavored yogurt.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I am so pleased to have gotten my parents back on good saturated fats and avoiding veg oils and 'low fat' foods. My dad used to guiltily cook food in lard as a 'treat' occasionally, so that the food tasted like it did when he was a kid. Now he can have as much of it as he likes. My mum now loves cooking with coconut oil. I can see how much better they will be as they get older, in terms of general health but especially keeping their brains in good order.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    There's always going to be some sugar in yogurt because there is "sugar" in milk. 18 grams won't kill you. Figure if you eat between 100-150 grams of carbs per day, that's less than a fifth of your total carbs.

Yes, most larger grocery stores only carry the 0% and 2% fat yogurt. In that situation, I choose Fage because per their website, they don't add anything to compensate for the fat. We have a market here called Breaux Mart and I actually can find full fat yogurt there on occasion. Better yet, I recently started buying yogurt from farmers. It's not greek, but it's yummy.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

zebonaut is offline Senior Member
    Mass brainwashing by the food companies. When a product screams "LOW FAT" ; the consumer makes the assumption; "low fat" must be a "good" thing. Food companies must know people will eat more carbohydrate than fat. More carbohydrate; means more in sales. People eat less; when there is fat.

Liam is offline Member
    My supermarket's the same - 100 varieties of yogurt but not a full-fat amongst them. And my local "healthy fruit smoothie" specialty cafe lists "low-fat milk" with every smoothie. I asked if they had full-fat milk. The answer was "no" with patronising smiles from the (overweight) co-owners. I left.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It's not greek, but it's yummy.
    Easily remedied by straining your own

M.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I have the same complaints about all the low fat and hard to fine full fat yogurts in my area. Our Safeway just started carrying Greek Gods and I buy the plain and sometimes the honey vanilla. I'll just mix a little honey or preserves with the plain to sweeten it or eat it with kimchi. I've also been able to find the Cabot.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    If you can't find full-fat, just stir in a spoonful of cream.

And, if you DO find full-fat, tell your grocery manager how pleased you are. They pay attention to feedback.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    And, if you DO find full-fat, tell your grocery manager how pleased you are. They pay attention to feedback.
    They do to an extent. The full fat fage is brought in by a vendor at our local store. I requested the full fat since they were only bringing in the 2% and below. They got it. I bought all of it. They did not restock for two weeks (vendor is there twice a week). I asked again. They restocked. I bought all but two, which were gone the by the next day (the 2 I left not the ones I bought). They have not restocked since. WTF? The stuff sells the day you put it out. Meanwhile the fat free sits there because everyone who buys that crap is off buying the sugary yoplait. Low fat message or not, listen to simple freaking economics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast