Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really confused about chicken page

QcGal is offline Junior Member

Really confused about chicken

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

First, I must say this is my first post but I have been reading here for weeks. I've been on PBP for almost 2 full months now and I do feel great. Weight loss is slow but steady (blame it on the cashews I like to snack on). I started with a BMI of 32, now down do 28.4 and my goal is 25. No particular health problem, I even quit smoking 4 weeks ago.

However, I'm confused about the chicken... I read at some places that I should eat chicken with the skin, and I read at other places that I should not eat chicken and if I do, I should avoid the skin.

My chicken are special though, my father has them in his backyard all summer long and then when fall comes, they move to my freezer. He does feed them with grains sometimes but not all the times and they do have grass and garden veggies to feed on all summer long. Approximately the same goes for the rabbits in my freezer.

So, can I eat this chicken without worrying about the omega 6 omega 3 that may or may not be involved? I am really confused. I like to eat chicken at least 3 or 4 meals per week.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    You lucky duck. Yes, eat the skin of carefully raised chickens..when can I move in? Your carefully raised chickens outweigh CAFO beef.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Eat the chicken. Raised like that, the ratio of O6 to O3 is far superior to store bought.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Eating CAFO chicken wings daily is probably an unwise omega-6 hazard but anything cleaner, leaner, or less frequent is fine. If you want to play it safe increase fatty fish and decrease nuts/seeds to compensate.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Eat the skin on free range chicken. Remove it with CAFO chicken and cook with healthy fats. Free range chicken legs really aren't that much more expensive than CAFO chicken legs.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    Eat the skin on free range chicken. Remove it with CAFO chicken and cook with healthy fats. Free range chicken legs really aren't that much more expensive than CAFO chicken legs.
    Free range means nothing. It simply means that chickens are offered outdoor space. Most often, the chickens are lured to stay inside with grains. You read the OP right? His Grandpa's chickens are a different story.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I think chicken's fine, especially if it's high quality, raised on grass and bugs, but ruminant meat is a better choice to make up the bulk of your diet, measured in the long term. It has better nutrition on pretty much every front.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I wish I had a source for great quality chicken. OP, you're really fortunate, and if I were you, I'd worry more about your nut habit and less about your chickens.

I do have sources for great quality beef and lamb (not cheap!) so I guess that's something...
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

QcGal is offline Junior Member
    Thanks. Thats what I was worried about. I still dont get the whole O6 O3 subtlety but I'll get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Eat the chicken. Raised like that, the ratio of O6 to O3 is far superior to store bought.
    Also, LauraSB, you're right about the nuts. Havent had any today and I will keep it this way the whole week, see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Ruminant meat is better for you, but your chickens are top-quality so eat every part of them that you possibly can. Make some chicken feet soup, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast