Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Care reports coming in - HORROR STORIES page 5

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think a good dose of Snopes.com and also politifacts and similar will help clear a lot of this up. most of these various things have been demonstrated to be false. It's just the propoganda machine.

It might be pointed out that the ACA was designed by Republicans in 1993. It's basically the same bill. And, it's been what has worked in MA for the last 10+ years. So, yeah, there's not going to be any disaster over this.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Survey - 83 percent of US doctors responding have considered abandoning their practices over Obummercare

The implications of the so-called Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, are apparently so drastic that as many as 83 percent of private physicians have considered calling it quits. This is according to a new survey recently released by the Doctor Patient Medical Association (DPMA), a nationwide physicians group dedicated to maintaining and protecting individualized care for all patients.
    Learn more: Survey - 83 percent of US doctors have considered abandoning their practices over Obamacare

Grizz
    Again this was happening pre-obama care and can be placed squarely on the shoulders of the insurance companies. Third party payers are sticking their noses into everything. Every visit requires more and more paperwork, time verifying and getting treatment approved.... then even if you do it all right they can till deny payment or do a post payment audit that may require a huge chunk of change be payed back.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I also was told the fine for me would be $95 and would increase each year. Who ever said it would be 4K?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think a good dose of Snopes.com and also politifacts and similar will help clear a lot of this up. most of these various things have been demonstrated to be false. It's just the propoganda machine.

It might be pointed out that the ACA was designed by Republicans in 1993. It's basically the same bill. And, it's been what has worked in MA for the last 10+ years. So, yeah, there's not going to be any disaster over this.
    On your recommendation I did so, and found at least two things purported in this thread to be false.... 1.) lose your drivers license and 2.) lose your house. So for those interested:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...le-obamacare-/

• "Your drivers license will be suspended until paid."

CMS told PolitiFact that nobody’s driver's license will be suspended as a noncompliance penalty under the Affordable Care Act. Nothing in the law mentions that as a penalty, and driver’s licenses are administered by state governments.

• "If you go 24 consecutive months with ‘Non-Payment’ and you happen to be a home owner, you will have a federal tax lien placed on your home."

A Treasury Department spokesperson confirmed that the law specifically bars the IRS from using their normal means of collecting unpaid taxes, including the use of liens and levy.

According to the law, the government "shall not (i) file notice of lien with respect to any property of a taxpayer by reason of any failure to pay the penalty imposed by this section, or (ii) levy on any such property with respect to such failure.’’

Instead, the only thing the IRS can do to collect fines is to subtract it from any tax refund you qualify for. If you aren’t due a refund, all the IRS can do is send you a letter.

Another section of the health care law protects citizens from any other form of punishment. "In the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty (…) such taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty," it says.

So at least people don't have to worry about those couple of myths
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-06-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

Are you kidding? Those slanted far left sites? lol might as well watch MSNBC then.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Are you kidding? Those slanted far left sites? lol might as well watch MSNBC then.
    Damn, and here I thought I found some useful stuff

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I'm not sure how you were uninsurable in NC. I have friends with diabetes and reoccurring brain cancer that had coverage through a state program. They were unable to get insurance in the private marketplace so got it from a state program- here is an article on it. My friends were very happy with the coverage:
    Program provides health coverage for those deemed uninsurable :: WRAL.com
    I actually mentioned this in my post if you would read it. It covered so little and was so unpopular with physicians (almost no one took it, there were literally 3 doctors Wake county for me... if you found someone who was "happy" to have it they are about the only ones) that I was ahead with my "group" plan (my other special NC option that I mentioned in my post). It was also $300ish/month full freight, so it actually cost more than some full freight exchange plans while covering less.

But it does amuse me when NC people bring it up because the defense about why we shouldn't like Obamacare was we had this thing that was just like Obamacare, but not quite as good, but since it was good you shouldn't want anything better that is anything like it... Um, okay.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I also was told the fine for me would be $95 and would increase each year. Who ever said it would be 4K?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Ocean, one of the comments in the original post was about a $4,000+ fine. If a person makes $400,000+ and is dumb enough not to have health insurance the fine indeed would be somewhere around $4,000.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    According to the calculator on About.com, my penalty would be a little more than $1000. The health insurance my employer provides is about $60/month. The fine is more than what my huge employer is able to negotiate and the ACA insurance itself is WAY more than the cost of what my employer offers me. I sure hope that my employer doesn't cut me off. Because of who I work for, it's not a totally unlikely scenario that I could lose my insurance, or lose my status to qualify for the insurance.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sen. Harry Reid: Obamacare 'Absolutely' A Step Toward A Single-Payer System

(Harry explains how we got here)

Yesterday on PBS’ Nevada Week In Review, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) was asked whether his goal was to move Obamacare to a single-payer system. His answer? “Yes, yes. Absolutely, yes.”

In one sense, this isn’t shocking. Reid and many other Democrats, including President Obama, have often stated that their ideal health-care system is one in which the government abolishes the private insurance market. Video of the PBS discussion isn’t yet online, but here’s how Karoun Demirjian of the Las Vegas Sun described it:

Reid said he thinks the country has to “work our way past” insurance-based health care during a Friday night appearance on Vegas PBS’ program “Nevada Week in Review.”

“What we’ve done with Obamacare is have a step in the right direction, but we’re far from having something that’s going to work forever,” Reid said.

When then asked by panelist Steve Sebelius whether he meant ultimately the country would have to have a health care system that abandoned insurance as the means of accessing it, Reid said: “Yes, yes. Absolutely, yes.”

Reid noted that he and other progressives fought hard for a “public option” in the exchanges as a Trojan horse for single-payer, but Democrats didn’t have 60 votes in the Senate to achieve it:
    The idea of introducing a single-payer national health care system to the United States, or even just a public option, sent lawmakers into a tizzy back in 2009, when Reid was negotiating the health care bill.

“We had a real good run at the public option … don’t think we didn’t have a tremendous number of people who wanted a single-payer system,” Reid said on the PBS program, recalling how then-Sen. Joe Lieberman’s opposition to the idea of a public option made them abandon the notion and start from scratch.

Eventually, Reid decided the public option was unworkable.
    “We had to get a majority of votes,” Reid said. “In fact, we had to get a little extra in the Senate, we have to get 60.”

Reid sees the tax exclusion for employer-sponsored health insurance as the primary obstacle to single-payer health care:

Reid cited the post-WWII auto industry labor negotiations that made employer-backed health insurance the norm, remarking that “we’ve never been able to work our way out of that” before predicting that Congress would someday end the insurance-based health care system.

It’s one of the key things to remember when you look at polls saying that Obamacare is unpopular. A small percentage of the people who oppose Obamacare—around 7-10 percent—oppose it because it doesn’t go far enough.

Sen. Harry Reid: Obamacare 'Absolutely' A Step Toward A Single-Payer System - Forbes

Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast