Page 26 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Care reports coming in - HORROR STORIES page 26

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh I see, that's alright then, a government to give African people vaccine that is disguised as a birth control just because they are African is perfectly good in your books!
    Perhaps it was not because they were African but because they were a population the Israeli Government knew they could not support.

We fling racism around, and I'd be curious to know where you live, and what the make up of your community is. I live in an area that is heavily African American and Hispanic. I see every day the problems that occur when people have children they can not support. I've found that most people who call this out as racism live in very white communities and have never actually experienced what its like to live among people who meet the stereotype. There are big issues with gangs and drug trade, which, IMO, when you see the nice car, that's how it was paid for. I can actually appreciate the drug trade, at least I don't have to support them. These people having these children that they can't support or care for are indeed creating social problems.

I have a friend who lives in my neighborhood. Uninsured petsitter. I split tip money with her one day on a job. It was $20 to her. She had just had an unplanned medical bill (uninsured). She mentioned to me how happy she was for the tip money as she could go get some groceries. So she got to go to the grocery and right in front of her- huge family buying groceries with their WIC card, NOT USING THE STORE DISCOUNT, and buying actual good food. Meanwhile, she has menial shit like rice and beans. It starts to feel very unfair when you work and struggle and live among people having subsidy.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    The persons in question were immigrants. Israel did not have to let them in (though I gather they let in Jews from pretty much everywhere). Requiring temporary birthcontrol seems reasonable. It was obviously better then the situation they were in or the women would have stayed in Ethiopia. Also, while the article says that Ethiopian immigrants have higher poverty rates than other groups it does not say whether they are better off than other Ethiopians. I find that rather telling. New immigrants may experience more poverty compared to others but if they have raised their standard of living it is a net win.

As for Obamacare (to try to keep things on topic) the rhetoric is getting infuriating. "1/2 of 1/3 of the government can't decide blah blah" Really? I am pretty sure if 5 Supreme Court Justices decide something it sticks. That is basically 1/2 of 1/3 of the government. Hell, if one man decides to veto a bill passed by a majority in both houses and that SCOTUS would have no issues with that is okay too because that is how our government works. F*ck these people.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Exactly what the govt wants: people hating their neighbors for a couple of hundred dollars a month in foodstamps, while never taking five minutes to email a representative or sign a petition against the huge subsidies given to corporations like Monsanto. Subsidies are corporate welfare if the word welfare is enough to get one's jockeys in a knot.

-----------------------------

Magnolia, food stamps are not an all or nothing proposition. If your friend makes less than about $1200/month (I'd have to google the exact amount), she could qualify for some assistance. Once you're on food stamps, there's a program or two you automatically qualify for. One is a discount on a main phone, even some cell phones. Another is a grant from the feds that helps with utility bills once a year - it's a couple hundred dollars.

---------------------------------------

As a note, I live in a city that's 60% black. So, I don't just see the stereotypes. I see black bankers and store owners, etc., making nice livings and not on the dole. Heck, I dones even hurd some rumors that there are black PhDs out there.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Exactly what the govt wants: people hating their neighbors for a couple of hundred dollars a month in foodstamps,
    Actually, I hate them because they insist on going to the express lane with their WIC items which all have to be rung up on seperate checks and the difference paid on each check before ringing up the next. Well, I hate the system that is so convoluted not the person themselves but seriously, WIC is never fast go to a regular register please.

today's first world problem is brought to you by the letters GTFO (of the express lane)

(and really, I have no issues with the people but seriously that system is jacked beyond belief. At least food stamps are fast with the EBT cards)
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Exactly what the govt wants: people hating their neighbors for a couple of hundred dollars a month in foodstamps, while never taking five minutes to email a representative or sign a petition against the huge subsidies given to corporations like Monsanto. Subsidies are corporate welfare if the word welfare is enough to get one's jockeys in a knot.
    I hate my neighbors for having kids they can't afford. I do see a lot of professional African Americans and Hispanics. For the most part they don't have 3+ children. We can't keep growing this pool of dependents, it's stupid. It ruins communities.

Corporate subsidies often create jobs or at least keep companies in the US to a degree.

My friend makes in the ballpark of $25,000 a year. Unfortunately, she had a $10,000 medical bill to pay off (payment plan). Plus rent, car etc.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    The persons in question were immigrants. Israel did not have to let them in (though I gather they let in Jews from pretty much everywhere). Requiring temporary birthcontrol seems reasonable. It was obviously better then the situation they were in or the women would have stayed in Ethiopia. Also, while the article says that Ethiopian immigrants have higher poverty rates than other groups it does not say whether they are better off than other Ethiopians. I find that rather telling. New immigrants may experience more poverty compared to others but if they have raised their standard of living it is a net win.

As for Obamacare (to try to keep things on topic) the rhetoric is getting infuriating. "1/2 of 1/3 of the government can't decide blah blah" Really? I am pretty sure if 5 Supreme Court Justices decide something it sticks. That is basically 1/2 of 1/3 of the government. Hell, if one man decides to veto a bill passed by a majority in both houses and that SCOTUS would have no issues with that is okay too because that is how our government works. F*ck these people.
    Thank you for this. If I were to read the word "Zionist" on here again, I was done.

What has happened is that the Republicans have decided to attack Obamacare via the appropriations portion. This is pretty much unheard of. If a side does not like a bill, they vote to either repeal it or replace it with another bill. You do not legislatively attack a bill that has already been passed by both houses and signed into law by blocking the money that it is legally entitled.

If the Republicans don't like it, try actually winning an election some day. Perhaps do not pick a trust fund baby with the charisma of a jellyfish and a spine like one too to run for President. When you lose 3 out of the last 4 elections pretty handily (2006, 2008, 2012), you don't get to make laws anymore. It's pathetic. They have been taken over by anti-intellectual charlatans, to run against fake-intellectual idealists. Crazies or morons. Those are the choices.

I root for the shutdown to continue, at this point. I hope we default and credit markets freeze up and our credit rating as a country gets buried under a pile of idiocy. This is all a game to them. We need to rid Washington of this cancer; belligerent, myopic corporate lemmings (R) vs. the sunshine and fascism party (D). The people are completely irrelevant.

"When fascism comes to America, it will not be in brown and black shirts. It will not be with jackboots. It will be Nike sneakers and smiley shirts. Smiley-smiley." -- George Carlin.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    What has happened is that the Republicans have decided to attack Obamacare via the appropriations portion. This is pretty much unheard of. If a side does not like a bill, they vote to either repeal it or replace it with another bill. You do not legislatively attack a bill that has already been passed by both houses and signed into law by blocking the money that it is legally entitled.

If the Republicans don't like it, try actually winning an election some day. Perhaps do not pick a trust fund baby with the charisma of a jellyfish and a spine like one too to run for President. When you lose 3 out of the last 4 elections pretty handily (2006, 2008, 2012), you don't get to make laws anymore. It's pathetic. They have been taken over by anti-intellectual charlatans, to run against fake-intellectual idealists. Crazies or morons. Those are the choices..
    While I do not disagree with your take on the Republicans, it would be nice if the head of the executive branch would not pick and choose what parts of laws he will enforce at what times. The law passed. The president just decided to give businesses another year (he chose selective enforcement). Then he wants to get mad that others are trying to hold up the law because 'it is the law' Um...pot...kettle...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I totally agree that the middle class gets royally screwed at every turn. I've been thinking lately about the old "Alice Doesn't Day." It would be great if somehow, every person with a job called in sick on the same day. Just one day. They want to shut down the govt while they fight? It would be great to shut down the country for a day. Necessary services for the ill could continue so no one dies from it. Just one day.

I can dream.
    That would be great! I would do it for sure.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    "Corporate subsidies often create jobs or at least keep companies in the US to a degree."

Sorry, but that is wildly incorrect.

Most of the "subsidies" are not direct payments, they are tax write-offs. The end result is that many of the large multi-nationals do not pay any taxes at all, and some get a REFUND (I.E. Our tax money directly transferred to a private business)

Like this list: http://www.alternet.org/corporate-ac...d-paying-taxes

This is all because most every level of government, especially at state and federal levels, no longer serves the purpose of what they were founded on: giving citizens redress of grievances.....instead they are battlegrounds for large corporations and interest groups to duke it out via lobbying or PAC-driven political coercion. One in four corporations no longer pay ANY taxes....and they are able to do this by directly writing law that allows them to do so.

Such as:
    - The Double Irish: A favorite technique of all large multi's, in which they transfer funds to offshore accounts with specific timing (laws are written such that the money must be held for a certain time period before being taxed), to allow them to pay nothing. The name is derived from the mafia, by the way. Now household name companies do it in open view. This is how lost we truly are.
    - The Stock-Options Loophole: Facebook, for example, chooses to pay many of its employees in stock options rather than direct salary. For the employee it is exactly the same. Management sells a portion of stock directly into cash, then puts it in the paycheck. The law is written such that this is tax deductible. (This is not an accident. The big banks invented this, wrote it into law)

One can list at least a dozen more....and most these loopholes are there because they were WRITTEN there by the influence their money bought. IBM, Apple, GE, all of them have terrible records of keeping jobs in the US. They want our money and our political power to avoid giving us anything back for that privilege. They have succeeded big time on both counts.

I am against all forms of tax money being totally squandered. Abused welfare is the same, whether it is corporate welfare or a struggling mom with 7 kids and no income....I don't know why these are mutually exclusive. So if I am against one, I have to be ok with the other? Sounds useful.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Lazarus,
    I guess I misunderstood your sentence "If I am unemployed and go on welfare." Usually, unemployed people go on unemployment (first or only) and some people perceive unemployment as welfare. There are also other unclear and confusing places in your original comment.
    Last edited by anna5; 10-09-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Page 26 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast