Thread: Critique My Percentages Please page

wattfood is offline Member

Critique My Percentages Please

So i am still very new to this (just going into my third week) and i have been using paleotrack as well as my regular food diary calorie tracker and i seem to be averaging out a lot around these type of percentages

Fat - approx 50 to 60%
    Protein - approx 30 to 40%
    Carbs - no higher than 15 to 20%
    calories approx 1200 to 1500 depending mainly on the meat i eat i think

i am only eating meat, eggs, nuts, watery veg (ie. zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, button squash, tomato, asparagus, avocado, broccoli), coconut (milk, cream, shredded dry meat) i am having coffee.

should i be tweaking this?
    my ultimate aim is weight loss..

Edit: Paleotrack is telling me im optimal paleo most of the time, sugar free, grain free, legume free

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good. Are you feeling well on it? Starting to lose? Good luck.
    Fruit is not forbidden. But it sure is easier to keep carbs low without it. Same with kumara etc. Something to think about adding in later maybe when your goals are reached.

wattfood is offline Member
    Thanks Annie, sorry I did forget to mention I am having 1 serve if fruit a day, normally 125g of fresh blueberries or strawberries or frozen mixed berries or a green apple.

I am feeling good. I haven't weighed in lately but I definitely feel lighter and better being off the wheat and grain products.

I will be living back in a major city soon, in a small country town at the moment, so I'll have access to a lot more healthier meat and vege choices from organic companies etc.

Should I be having more fat?
    I am still confused as to what role the fats should be playing in my diet.

x Claire x
    31 y/o
    4'10"
    88kg (on 23/9/13)
    Practicing full primal

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I think the most important thing about fat is that it should be of good quality mostly natural saturated fats such as pure butter or dripping for cooking or olive oil for dressings (and many people here use coconut oil too but I find it pretty tasteless myself). Also the fat that naturally occurs in eggs and meat and avocados and perhaps nuts. It's very important to avoid the processed seed oils such as canola and soy.

As for quantity, during weight loss phase it's not necessary to add much fat to the diet as the goal is to burn your own stored body fat. However, you don't want to be hungry either. So my approach would be to build each meal around adequate protein source and non starchy veges. Include some carbs such as fruit and other veges, then make up the difference with a little fat for making things taste good. It looks like that's more or less what you are doing.

I'm glad you are feeling better already, keep up the good work.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It looks good, but the only way to know whether it's right for you is to wait and see.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."