Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison and other game meat page

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member

Venison and other game meat

Shop Now
    Anyone do any hunting? I looked up nutrition facts for venison and other game meat, and all the results show them to be extremely lean. Is this due to how they are processed? If grok really survived off game meat, where was the fat! I'm interested in hunting this season, and in the future to decrease my expenses on meat, but would it really be worth it if there is no significant fat content? Hmmm..

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCypher0 View Post
    Anyone do any hunting? I looked up nutrition facts for venison and other game meat, and all the results show them to be extremely lean. Is this due to how they are processed? If grok really survived off game meat, where was the fat! I'm interested in hunting this season, and in the future to decrease my expenses on meat, but would it really be worth it if there is no significant fat content? Hmmm..
    You look up the fat content of brains, marrow, and other organs? Not saying you should eat those things, but our ancestors did.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If you are interested in hunting to reduce your expenses on meat then it is worth it. That is what a lot of people do. Venison is delicious meat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Venison rocks. I lived on that stuff for a whole year in college. We had a deep freeze and venison is the only thing we never ran out of (well that and Milwaukee's Best ). Buddy of mine would just go home and kill another deer any time be got low.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The price of good fat is less than the price of good meat. If you can get lean meat for free, the price you pay for the good fat to compensate for its leanness will be negligible. Get the game for free. If it's lean, cook it in lard, coconut oil, etc. Enjoy the fin'l benefits and more, the health benefits.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    All good input, thank you. If anyone has any experience with butchering deer, could you let me know if there is worthy fat content? Im wondering if people usually discard the extra fat when they process the deer, due to CW.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    A buddy of mine had an entire deer processed into meat venison sticks. It was freaking awesome regardless of the meat being lean. Besides, there are other ways to get fats.

Jimm is offline Member
    It is very lean meat, even more so in the South than, say, Ohio or Colorado. I'm a hunter and when we have a grocery store process venison, fat has to be added (usually 10-20% pork) for ground preparations.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I have found that a lot of them are much fatter towards the end of the season, right before the first big snows up here. They are trying to eat everything they can before winter hits....I keep all of the fat on them in foil wraps to add in when its cooked. I usually add duck fat for other preps.

Plus the heart and liver are amazing.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCypher0 View Post
    Anyone do any hunting? I looked up nutrition facts for venison and other game meat, and all the results show them to be extremely lean. Is this due to how they are processed?
    No, it's going to be down to (a) which animals are counted as game and (b) how mature those animals get to be under current conditions. (There's also the point made by RichMahogany in post #2 to be born in mind.)

So you can call deer -- and probably immature ones at that -- "game". And in a society where there's a fat-phobia (for misplaced historical reasons) then that will seem to be a significant fact. As they say, when all you've got's a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

But wouldn't a bear, for example, be "game" to pre-modern hunter? You can render several gallons of oil off a bear. A look at contemporary sources of the opening up of the U.S. would be enough to remind one of this. Some North American Indians seem to have made enough bear oil seasonally to have kept containers -- calabashes or whatever -- all year round, till the season when killing bears would be most worthwhile came round again.

Try googling something like:

"native americans" "bear oil"

I haven't tried, but that would probably turn up some interesting information.

And, then, as I say, how mature does the game get to be in the modern world? Not very: there's not much of it; there are too many people; and it's killed too quick. There's one account, again of the opening up the U.S., where an explorer moving into a new area writes of fat four inches thick on the deer. Maybe he was exaggerating, but it's clear there was some difference between areas that had been long-settled by Europeans with rifles, and areas that had not, and not a small one.

Nearer to our own time, the explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson writes of shooting a caribou within the Arctic Circle that had massive slabs of back-fat on it. I forget the precise figure, but he weighed them and they were anything but negligible.

If grok really survived off game meat, where was the fat!
    By:

1. judicious choice of which species of animals to kill;

2. by choice of which animals within the herd to kill (larger and more mature ones carry more fat; and skeletal remains from the Stone Age show that human hunters actually caused some animals to get smaller over time -- by always preferring to kill the larger);

3. by selecting which cuts to eat.

For what some particular hunting societies of the recent past have done, see:

Guts and Grease: The Diet of Native Americans - Weston A Price Foundation

Australian Aborigines: Living Off the Fat of the Land - Weston A Price Foundation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast