Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venison and other game meat page 2

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Game meats would be anything not domesticated by modern folks. That encompasses a whole hell of a lot of animals in north america alone. Deer are oredominantly lean animals, but will fatten themselves up accordingly in order to prepare for the winter. Mature bucks have actually been known to lose 25-35% of their bodyweight during the rut because they become so obsessed with chasing tail that they won't eat. Bears are naturally fatty. Squirrels are lean. Caribou live under artic conditions, so they would naturally carry more bodyfat. This isn't exactly rocket science.

Something that our ancestors did, even as recently as a generation ago, was eat nose to tail. This created a pretty balanced proportion or protein to fat, etc. The whole idea of "eat moar fat" is just stupid when one actually uses a little common sense
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    The whole idea of "eat moar fat" is just stupid when one actually uses a little common sense
    Generally yes, but it is not stupid if coming off a very low fat diet due to hormonal problems! Most people get themselves into trouble if keeping fat below 10 % for extended periods, and those people will do better on eating "moar" fat...

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Venison is expensive in london

From London England UK

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Too much back and forth about fat content of game here.

Bottom line advice:

Get good at hunting. You'll be glad you did.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Generally yes, but it is not stupid if coming off a very low fat diet due to hormonal problems! Most people get themselves into trouble if keeping fat below 10 % for extended periods, and those people will do better on eating "moar" fat...
    Exactly. My point is that if you eat an entire animal, even a "lean" game animal, nose to tail. And you eat other game animals nose to tail, you won't be eating a low fat diet. Just because their muscle meat is relatively lean doesnt mean that there aren't significant amounts of edible fat in other tissues
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Venison is expensive in london

From London England UK
    Well, it is more expensive than farmed meat here in Scotland where the local farm shop shoots the deer that come down from the hills onto the farm. I would say it's worth it as a "treat". If you are able to hunt it yourself that would be like heaven!

DebbyL is offline Junior Member
    We have generally lived off of moose & venison for the last 40 + years. (Canada). We cut & wrap our meat ourselves & love it! What we do, is de-bone the entire animal (1/4 at a time) then cut into steaks, roasts, etc. We leave the fat on unless the animal was in rut. Its really good! You get the strong "gamey taste" if you don't clean it properly upon shooting it. Ours is never gamey. We usually take all the scraps & add fat to it for hamburger, and make jerky too. Oh, by the way, the Native Americans still eat the nose! Oh, you don't have to hang it to "tenderize" it like they do with beef, that just wastes the outside layer, and does nothing for the meat.
    Hope you can go with an experienced hunter the first time to learn how to clean one.

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    I appreciate the feedback, everyone!

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I've started eating wild venison and boar from farm shops. I really want to hunt something. Yes the meat tends to be lean, but superb all the same. Haven't tried organs yet, venison liver is something I want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12