Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying PB / Paleo while snacking? Where is the line.... ? page

wattfood is offline Member

Staying PB / Paleo while snacking? Where is the line.... ?

Primal Fuel
    I am trying to stay as primal as possible, even when i am snacking.
    I am a little confused at the moment cause i am seeing sites and recipes that say they are primal but its a cookie, or a pancake, being plugged as a fantastic snack.

My head is thinking "ok, its primal ingredients, BUT was grok really resting on a rock after a big day of hunting, unwinding with a COOKIE or a snuggling up with his animal skin blanket on sunday morning with PANCAKES?"

I guess my question is, although you may be eating essentially primal food, is deviating from their whole source and modifying the cooking methods to such an extent that basic honey, whole nuts, cocoa, agave, coconut and raisins MORPHS into a "caveman cookie", actually still in line with the PB philosophy?

Im confused....

Id love a cookie, but should i ?
    Opinions?
    Facts?

help me.....!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your current situation and future goals.

Personally, I'm not interested in "being primal" just for the sake of living like Grok but because eating these foods makes me feel healthy and happy. So, combining and cooking primal ingredients in a delicious way definitely gets the green light. Having said that, I tend to regard honey, nuts, cocoa and raisins as treats rather than core items. I do eat them often, but not (usually) at the expense of eggs, veges and meat. I would also reduce/eliminate them if/when aiming to lose weight.

That's just me, I can't say whether you should have a cookie or not.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    That's called Faleo. Stick to things which are still whole-celled for the majority of your intake. Whole plants, animal tissues, etc. Fat burns so slowly that it's usually no threat if rendered properly, so many fats aren't necessarily still in the cells of their source plant or animal, but that's okay. If it is powdered, it's going to break down faster and - many people - find that this makes them hungry, while providing no real nutrition. If you are trying to lose body fat, and were a sugar addict, stay away from those fakey bakey things for a good while.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you're trying to lose weight and cut the sugar addiction, your best bet is to stay away from the snacks and paleo junk food for now. Otherwise, go ahead.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

wattfood is offline Member
    I wouldn't really say I have a sugar addiction, my vice was always the salty snacks, I'm just thinking for those days when you just HAVE to have something.

To me it's almost like healthy junk food, certainly not honest primal, it wouldn't feel right to be trading in my 12 almonds for a cookie at morning tea.

x Claire x
    31 y/o
    4'10"
    88kg (on 23/9/13)
    Practicing full primal

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Some people don't care about what grok did, but enjoy alternatives to meat and veggies made with less inflammatory foods. I just ate pancakes. Bananas, eggs, coconut flour, with a side of sausage. Many mornings I have eggs scrambled with sausage and a banana. Same foods, different format, a bit of coconut flour as a binder. I don't see how that becomes junk food because it's made into a pancake.

At some point, a lot of people get tired of the same 12 almonds with their tea. Far better to have an almond cookie than an oreo. But YMMV. A lot of the paleo baked goods taste like crap, but for someone who is gluten intolerant or can't have dairy they are a good thing that helps them maintain their health. It took me a good year before I had any desire for "treats", but yeah, a year in, bacon and eggs and dark chocolate lost it's luster and the occasional pancakes, banana bread, mug cake have come into my diet.

for me, the paleo baked goods act a lot differently than standard in that they fill you up. I used to make 16" pizzas and my husband and I would eat the whole thing, no problem. I made a paleo pizza with a gluten free crust, 12" and we had half the pizza left over. Same with paleo banana bread- I can eat a piece and I'm stuffed versus half a loaf of the normal sugar and flour version. They are a lot more substantial and don't mess with my sugar cravings at this point.

But having lost a lot of weight, adding a ton of strength and looking great, my concern over the concept of "is it paleo or primal or are you eating faileo" is exactly zero. It does help to avoid these things at the beginning, but at some point you might appreciate having them to incorporate into your diet.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Jimm is offline Member
    I snack on the bones of enemies.

I for one am against paleo or atkins or whatever versions of junk food (or even things like pancakes) for me. If you buy the concept that sugar can drive down dopamine receptor regulation in the brain reward center and creates true addiction, it's best to break the psychological and physiologic association with sweets. There is even a good case against using wholesome things like Stevia for the same reason diet soda is bad (disregarding the toxic chemicals) in that it may be bad to take in so much sweetness with no calories.

Your healthiest option is to lose the sweet tooth. But it may -no joke- feel like kicking heroin. I'm lucky in that I have no sweet tooth. Carmelized onions, Jersey White sweet potatoes, roasted carrots and beets are sugar bombs to me. If I want to do the mono-saccharide thing for tea or desserts, I try to limit it to grade A maple syrup or local honey.
    Last edited by Jimm; 10-05-2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Used an unforgivable homophone for "your".

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    I'm also only interested in the primal lifestyle because it makes sense and is the healthiest way to live. I will probably use some of the paleo treat recipes as holiday items or on a special occasion, certainly not as daily or weekly food items. I have found that eating a primal diet has left me with no desire for primal cookies, pastries, etc. - and I was a bread and dessert junkie. But that's just me.

Carve out your own path - the one which will help you to meet your personal goals.

pamola10 is offline Member
    I have noticed that my desire to snack has dropped off dramatically with the habit that was left over from doing a Whole 30; of eating a really FULL plate of food for my meals. If I have a chunk of some sort of protein and then fill in the plate with cooked veg, with sufficient fat, then I usually can make it just fine to my next meal. If I skimp on the protein or fat, or go too lightly even on the cooked veg (which is odd because they don't really supply much in the way of calories), then I am looking for something mid-afternoon or evening. I am really amazed that my evening snacking habit has dropped way off since being more generous in the size and variety within my meals.

And I am scared of those "faileo" snacks because of a lifelong sugar binge habit. I have to be sure my dark chocolate is dark enough that I don't start craving it, even. I do understand that many people are different from me!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Your healthiest option is to lose the sweet tooth.
    I think you can reform a sweet tooth that is calibrated to SAD sweets. I have a sweet tooth, but normal sweets taste like hell to me now (too sweet). I think we tend to crave what our body needs once we eliminate chemical foods. So when I want something sweet, some fruit seems to do the trick.

There seems to be a good portion of people who can't do the VLC thing without a lot of problems. I'm one of them. It's kind of a disservice to call any whole food more or less healthy than another. Really, if you wake up, crave something sweet and eat a banana and feel better, that's a healthy solution, not feeding a sugar addiction. I noticed when I did VLC that when I craved something sweet and denied myself, I'd end up way overeating random stuff. Like, hmmm, I can't have a banana, so I'll eat a cup of nuts, then an egg, then a burger, then half an avocado. LOL, I just needed some sugar and carbs from the banana.

I dunno, if you need more carbs and sugar, you need it. It's not an addiction.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast