Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying PB / Paleo while snacking? Where is the line.... ? page 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think you can reform a sweet tooth that is calibrated to SAD sweets. I have a sweet tooth, but normal sweets taste like hell to me now (too sweet). I think we tend to crave what our body needs once we eliminate chemical foods. So when I want something sweet, some fruit seems to do the trick.
    x2!

There seems to be a good portion of people who can't do the VLC thing without a lot of problems. I'm one of them. It's kind of a disservice to call any whole food more or less healthy than another. Really, if you wake up, crave something sweet and eat a banana and feel better, that's a healthy solution, not feeding a sugar addiction. I noticed when I did VLC that when I craved something sweet and denied myself, I'd end up way overeating random stuff. Like, hmmm, I can't have a banana, so I'll eat a cup of nuts, then an egg, then a burger, then half an avocado. LOL, I just needed some sugar and carbs from the banana.

I dunno, if you need more carbs and sugar, you need it. It's not an addiction.
    Even on very low carb, there is room for a banana or two in my life! They bloat me terribly, but once in awhile - it's just food! Eat it!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't snacking be like grazing? And isn't grazing one of the thing we avoid?

As to dessert type foods made with healthier options, as you can see, there are basically two camps. Those that believe it's okay to create this treats, and those that call them Faileo.

For me, it's a gradation of health. If for eg., you start at point A where you have a lot of wheat, legumes, processed/fake foods, industrial oils, and added sugar in your diet, and a year later, you're at point B eating wholesomely raised animals, organic vegetables, and have basically eliminated the worst of the poisons, even the occasional SAD sweet isn't going to kill you unless you have a specific allergy, etc.

There are plenty of people who use their 20 for things like protein/whey/gelatin supplementation, so I don't see why the occasional snack is worse. For the die-hard, 100%ers, it may seem terrible. But if I wake up full of energy, don't have to take any medications, can walk home from almost anywhere in the city, I'm not going to lose any of my eight hours of sleep because I ate some dates wrapped in bacon and dipped in dark chocolate.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wattfood View Post
    I wouldn't really say I have a sugar addiction, my vice was always the salty snacks, I'm just thinking for those days when you just HAVE to have something.

To me it's almost like healthy junk food, certainly not honest primal, it wouldn't feel right to be trading in my 12 almonds for a cookie at morning tea.

x Claire x
    31 y/o
    4'10"
    88kg (on 23/9/13)
    Practicing full primal
    You don't ever "HAVE' to have something. That type of thinking is what got you to where you are today. Eat whole foods and concentrate on your goals. Forget about the faileo stuff until you are in a better place and mindset
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    You don't ever "HAVE' to have something. That type of thinking is what got you to where you are today. Eat whole foods and concentrate on your goals. Forget about the faileo stuff until you are in a better place and mindset
    +1000

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I view a snack as a thumbs down review of the previous meal. When I'm cooking properly snacks have no place. When we're legitimately hungry we need protein and not carb/fat. If this is a frequent issue keep some boring boiled eggs, chicken breasts, tuna, or cottage cheese on hand and work on reinforcing the meals.

That's not the same thing as carb/fat party recipes (cookies etc.) Denying their place in culture and banning them forever just for the martyrbation is not ideal, but keep them infrequent and social. It's the difference between "fillup foods" and "flavor foods".
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Staying PB / Paleo while snacking? Where is the line.... ?

I don't make paleo desserts. I don't see the point when I can just eat real dessert: fruit, whipped coconut cream, sorbet, dark chocolate, jello, flan, choco pudding with gelatin. If I am feeling fancy I will make a gluten free cake like I did for my birthday.

I might make some pumpkin cheesecake with whipped coconut cream topping soon though for when my friends comes to visit me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-05-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Don't make the paleo treats a staple, but for special occasions that stuff is just fine.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post

I might make some pumpkin cheesecake with whipped coconut cream topping soon though for when my friends comes to visit me.

How about making that for your friends in nj?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I view a snack as a thumbs down review of the previous meal.
    This is an excellent way of putting it. It took me a while to let go of some of my old ideas about portion control and just eat enough at meals.

One of my objectives is to keep blood sugar/insulin as low as possible for as much of the day as possible. Snacking doesn't help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I don't make paleo desserts. I don't see the point when I can just eat real dessert: fruit, whipped coconut cream, sorbet, dark chocolate, jello, flan, choco pudding with gelatin. If I am feeling fancy I will make a gluten free cake like I did for my birthday.
    +1
    There are so many desserts and savory party foods that are naturally grain free. IMO, the root/nut flour versions of grain foods are disappointing enough that I just don't bother any more. I will have cake or bread with wheat when I'm eating out now and then, though.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    How about making that for your friends in nj?
    Come on down!!!!

------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast