Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody got a primal cat? page

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

Anybody got a primal cat?

Primal Fuel
    I have this stray who has lived on and off with us for about 7 months; at first he came around the door so I left him canned cat-food outside, but soon enough he was letting the wife pet him, and now he is comfortable on our lap on the couch, and hangs around the house for hours at a time.

Anyway he always hung out at my feet while I ate so I started giving him scraps, and that graduated to him refusing cat-food, so I would just make an extra piece of bacon or spoon some of my tuna onto a plate for him.

Now he is full-on only eating people food- sardines from time to time, chicken, tuna, bacon, or hot dogs are just about his entire diet.

So 3 nights ago I gave him raw chicken for the first time, and he seemed to love it absolutely.

Since then though, (diet unchanged otherwise), he has had nasty diarrhea. Is that a normal, "new-to-raw-meat" kinda shitting, anyone with experience?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Cats can get diarrhea if there's an abrupt food change, yeah. You could always try mixing the raw food (cut up) with some canned food to see if that soothes things.

There's pretty thorough info here without buying anything.
    Raw Fed Cats

My cat eats half raw, half canned. I don't want to deal with grinding meat & bones so I buy pre-ground (lightly ground) chicken necks & backs from Whole Foods (it comes frozen and for a while was sold as "pet food"). She gets a little bit of grain-free canned food to cover missing nutrients and I give her the offal when I make chicken soup with a whole chicken about once a week. When I was trying to do exclusively raw, I'd give her a meal of liver once a week.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

haha I would love nothing more than to try giving him canned food of any kind, but he just sniffs at it and walks away and flops in front of the refrigerator; he won't even eat real food off of a plate that still smells like cat food anymore.

He just ate a whole chicken leg that I baked for him. I don't have children, but when I feed him I suspect that it's a human meal portion. But he only weighs 7.8 lbs as of today, 8 before his diarrhea.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    I had a primal cat in Africa. His name was Squiggles and he was super. He basically fed himself, I gave him a small handful of dried fish twice a day but other than that he caught a lot of mice, birds, snakes, and lizards.

He alerted me to a black necked spitting cobra in the house once. I was turning to see what he had and right as I turned some droplets whizzed past right where my face had been. I freaked out a bit but he was so damn proud of himself.

I miss him a lot, I have him to my neighbors when I moved back to the states. He wouldn't have been happy as an indoor kitty here and we have a lot of fox and coyotes where we are, he would have been eaten. And I can't support feral cats in the states. Africa has small felines native to much of the continent but we don't here so they are kind of invasive.

My best friend has 2 cats and she feeds them a raw diet. Make sure they are getting dark meat and rodent brains, sources of taurine. Without it cats die.

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1380923709.308797.jpg
    Squiggles and my dog Dora whom I did bring back with me.

Sent from....right behind you....
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

this feels like a dumb question but what is dark meat, technically? Do legs count? He eats the tips of the bone even.

toscamulder is offline Senior Member
    Foto op 12-09-13 om 10.37.jpgFoto op 26-08-13 om 22.27.jpg

This is Vivaldi. He eats normal kibble and nasty slimy stuff. Poor thing. But he's really energetic and cute and smart, he can even play fetch with small hair bands. My parents don't want to give him meat, they think it takes too much effort and my cat doesn't eat it, but just plays with it. Which is true. He makes sure the meat has been everywhere in the house, and then he just lets it sit there where he left it. (:

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    this feels like a dumb question but what is dark meat, technically? Do legs count? He eats the tips of the bone even.
    Legs of what? Chicken thighs are a good source. Do a little digging on feline raw diets. There is a bit more to it than just throwing people food at them. I like the whole prey model which in humans, I guess, would be like the 'eat the whole animal' train of thought. I know some people who buy frozen feeder rats for their cats.

Sent from....right behind you....
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

chicken legs, like I was saying. I eat chicken thighs constantly so he gets a lot of those.

->dano<- is offline Junior Member
    No primal cat but feeding my dog anything but meat and he blows gas that can clear a room!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    this is my primal kitten, he's been eating pet burgers and organ meats now. they grow up fast.

he's camera shy.

Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast