Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autoimmune protocol... I need more calories. page

pollo_la is offline Member

Autoimmune protocol... I need more calories.

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I am on day three of following the Paleo autoimmune protocol. I'm hungry, and getting hungrier by the day. I have been eating mostly Paleo for the last 6 months, but I had still been eating rice, potatoes, and homemade breads using coconut and tapioca flour (and of course eggs). Now that I need to eliminate those foods I feel like I am starving.

I'm currently at my ideal weight, and I'm exclusively nursing my 4 month old baby. I need calories or my milk supply is going to suffer, and I really don't need to lose weight.

I'm really hoping that after about 30 days I will be able to add back into my diet potatoes or eggs (or both). But for now, I need to go at least 30 days without them. Help, where can I get some calories. I can only eat so much meat... kind of makes me sick after awhile, and spinach doesn't exactly fill me up.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Make the meat cuts you buy fattier. Bone in primal cuts and whole chickens. Fat is your friend, cook your veggies in it to get some more. Find how to make curries and other coconut dishes for more good fat. You can still eat fruit on the AI protocol so have at all these: apples, apricots, avocados, berries, cherries, grapefruit, lemons, oranges, peaches, pears, plums

AI isn't about weight loss or carbs or anything except getting rid of foods most likely to be detrimental to your gut or likely to cause you immune system to go haywire (frequent food allergies). So focus on what you CAN eat and just eat a lot of it if you need to.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-04-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I've been preparing some things in advance like homemade sausage patties, precooking sweet potatoes and blanching greens so that I can just add them to whatever I'm having. For breakfast I make a hash out of these items along with onions, it's also good with leftover roasted cauliflower.

Another good thing to have on hand is canned sardines I like to have them with avocadoes. Have you see the Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook? It might give you some ideas. The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I've been preparing some things in advance like homemade sausage patties, precooking sweet potatoes and blanching greens so that I can just add them to whatever I'm having. For breakfast I make a hash out of these items along with onions, it's also good with leftover roasted cauliflower.

Another good thing to have on hand is canned sardines I like to have them with avocadoes. Have you see the Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook? It might give you some ideas. The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook
    Good recs....I forgot to mention yams, sweet potato, and of course this time of year is great for a variety of squash.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    The above suggestions are good, especially squashes this time of year. If you feel like you need more energy, add large amounts of grass fed butter to all of the above mentioned foods.

AIP excludes butter, that may be what I'm missing the most! I'm cooking almost everything in lard.

Can you get plantains where you are? Tostones are really satisfying: Tostones Recipe - Twice Fried Green Plantain Chips I freeze some after the first fry so that I have them on hand when I need them just heat some oil and fry, they're ready in minutes.
    They are delicious with an AIP guacamole! I hope you get enough calories, I know when I was nursing my son (many years ago!) I could not get enough to eat and I wasn't even on the AIP.

BTW I also just started the AIP on October first, though I'd been slowly transitioning into for about a week. So far I've been really enjoying the food and have even come up with some new recipes.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I was also going to suggest squash. It's a great low-starch carb source.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

pollo_la is offline Member
    Urban Forager, I'd love to hear updates on how you are doing from time to time. What disease are you dealing with?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I definitely need to find ways to utilize coconut milk more! Maybe some kind of coconut milk/squash soup? Right now I have been sautéing all my greens in coconut oil and will continue to do that. I made bone broth for the first time last night (overnight). I turned that into a big pot of chicken soup today which was great. I had a banana today, and will try to keep more of those around, as they are a more filling fruit choice. Overall I haven't minded the food, I just feel like I don't have quite enough of it.

Oh, and thanks for the cookbook suggestion. I will look into that!

yilishen is offline Junior Member
    of course this time of year is great for a variety of squash.

I've got Hashimoto's and chronic allergies. I think I've been hypothyroid for a long time, may have started with the birth of my son 15 yrs ago and got worse in the last year when I started going through menopause. But then again I think I've been cold all my adult life.

For me the hardest part of the diet is snacks, sometimes I'm just a bit peckish and don't need a whole meal. I'm not trying to lose weight and from what I've read about Hashimoto's it's not a good idea to IF. Generally speaking I can trust my hunger, it's not like I'm craving something, I just need to eat something small. So far all I can think of for those times is half an avocado, some coconut butter, or an apple. What I would have had prior to the AIP during those time would have been a bit of cheese, some nuts or smoked turkey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast