Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a high fat keto diet fix LC anxiety? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Does a high fat keto diet fix LC anxiety?

Shop Now
    Anytime I go low carb I get severe anxiety. It sucks. I lost a bunch of weight doing paleo before pregnancy and now a year after pregnancy if I drop my carbs like rice, potatoes, and dark chocolate and just eat veggies (fruit doesn't sit too well with me) then I get horrible anxiety. I'm eating ribeyes, chicken thighs, bacon, eggs, etc., so do I need to add even more fat on top of that? Or am I resigned to have to do low fat high carb like PHD recs? I don't know if I can do that either though...I love cooking my food in fat now.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If a low carb diet gives you anxiety, how can another low carb diet not also give you anxiety?

It is not necessary to go to extremes. Just eat a moderate amount of carbohydrate like the Primal Blueprint suggests, something perhaps closer to the 100-150g range than the lower 75g - 100g range.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Will I still be able to lose weight? I mean the Perfect Health Diet recs those kinds of carbs but says to lose weight you need to eat less fat. :/

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Will I still be able to lose weight? I mean the Perfect Health Diet recs those kinds of carbs but says to lose weight you need to eat less fat. :/
    You will find varying opinions on that here. In order to keep calories in line, I do think you need to cut fat a bit. It might take some experimenting to figure out how much.

You won't know unless you try! Eat some taters

Sent by carrier pigeon.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Less fat, not zero fat. Maybe try eye of round, chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, seafood? Of course starches and vegetables will taste bad without fat but IME using a half-portion with more tossing and seasoning is just as good. Chocolate is not a carb (energy is ~85% fat), maybe try cocoa powder + greek yogurt to scratch the itch.

Put another way, if you're following PHD you aim for adequate protein and adequate starch at all times then embellish it with as much or as little fat as needed to make the meal digestible and palatable while mindful of total energy, with priority toward the special nutrient sources like eggs, coconut, salmon, liver, etc.
    35//6'3"/180

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Put another way, if you're following PHD you aim for adequate protein and adequate starch at all times then embellish it with as much or as little fat as needed to make the meal digestible and palatable while mindful of total energy, with priority toward the special nutrient sources like eggs, coconut, salmon, liver, etc.
    Exactly the way I operate. No need to take things to extremes. Just up the carbs and down the fats a little. Don't swim everything in bacon grease and butter on one side of the spectrum and don't pour honey and maple syrup all over big piles of potatoes and dried fruit on the other. Find a middle ground.

Your body will be extremely happy just being off the wheat, flour, sugar and crappy vegetable oils.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    I found out the hard way that I need to keep my carbs above 80 mg/day or else have the same problem. I try to keep my carbs primal, so starchy veggies, fruit, maybe some rice. The last time I made an effort to lose weight I did just fine with carbes between 80 and 150 mg/day. Every once in a while I'd have a day above or below, but the long-term average was within that range. I think you'll probably be fine if you get some more carbs. Maybe increase a little at a time and try to pinpoint your threshold.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Are you getting enough magnesium? That can be low on a low carb diet and can cause anxiety.

But in general, I would be surprised if you had to be uber low carb to lose weight. Try something a little more moderate and see what happens.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating enough calories?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Are you eating enough calories?
    I actually think this was it. I'm having to add a ton of fat to every single dish. I'm still having some anxiety, but when I do, I eat more fat lol. And I'm back to dropping weight again instead of constantly plateauing. Fat is amazing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast