Thread: Plateau? Too little food? Body healing? page

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member

Plateau? Too little food? Body healing?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all. I've been strictly primal for 45 consecutive days now, meat, dairy, veg, a piece of fruit maybe every other day, dark chocolate a few times a week, and a glass of red wine maybe 3 times a week. I have a journal going in the journals section. When I plug in a random day of my food into a tracker, it comes in somewhere between 1000-1500 calories, with generally 50-75 grams of carbs or less. I am 5'2", I weigh about 195 lbs, and I lost about 10lbs in the first couple weeks, but I have stayed about the same for the last 2 weeks now. I can't believe I'm eating too much, calorie-wise, and that carb range should be fine. Any thoughts?

Goal: Feel good, be active!

Kimberly P is offline Member
    Do you exercise at all? I know we have about the same numbers (except I am taller at 5'7") and my eating is almost identical to yours. I have been at it for 9 weeks with no "cheats". First month I lost 16 lbs and then nothing. I have been stuck floating between 3-4 lbs up and down each week. When I asked my question I was told I need to up my activity.

Currently, I walk 4-6 days per week and run all out 1-2 times per week (which trust me is not very far or fast LOL). I don't do much lifting because I have very little strength (hopefully that will get better as I go along) but I do turn myself into a swing for my 27-lb grandson a few times a week. I also work from home so I converted by sitting desk to a standing desk and make sure I run up and down my stairs a few times a day.

I am not sure on advice on how to fix the stopped weight loss but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I am in the same boat but I am also not giving up. I know I feel better and sleep better and have more energy since giving up grains and fake foods so I will just keep going and see what happens next. Hang in there!!

I don't exercise a ton.. I generally go for a few (slow) walks and bike rides each week. I just feel like, with so much extra body fat, it's crazy that it's not coming off more with the food I'm eating. I think even if I was just counting calories, under 1600 should be enough to guarantee some loss.

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    I started eating Primally in June 2012 at 192 lbs (5'7"). I lost 4 pounds, then nothing. Several forum posters recommended giving up dairy, which I did, except for heavy whipping cream. Not only did the scale move, but long-term skin issues cleared up as well. I went down to 170 lbs by Jan 1. I had no intention of giving up dairy, so I psyched myself up to do it as a 30-day experiment, and it worked immediately. I have since given up the HWC as well.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaglassgreen View Post
    I don't exercise a ton.. I generally go for a few (slow) walks and bike rides each week. I just feel like, with so much extra body fat, it's crazy that it's not coming off more with the food I'm eating. I think even if I was just counting calories, under 1600 should be enough to guarantee some loss.
    A lot of people see stalls that last weeks to months. Its frequently some healing and general changes going on in the background. Sometimes its just that you've been so overfed BUT undernourished for so long that it really does take a while to get the machinery up to snuff and start accessing that extra energy you are carrying. I'd recommend you make the focus "health" rather than just weight loss. Just keep focus on adding healthy activities and loving yourself with health promoting nutrition. Its not a race. Just keep eating well, moving well, and thinking well.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Plateaus can be super frustrating. Unfortunately (or fortunately -- depending on how you look at things) they're a natural part of the process. We would all love our weight to just drop continuously day after day. But, if you look at anyone's progress chart over the long term you'll see drops and then periods of leveling off. You may even see acute increases here and there.

The TREND however, is downwards. It's just a slow process. You may want to consider helping that process speed along by adding some additional exercise, but in that regard you'll simply be confused if you continue using a scale to track progress because you can be losing fat without the scale moving.

So:

1) Add some exercise (bodyweight strength training, resistance training, intervals, sprints, whatever -- doesn't have to do more than 20 mninutes).

2) Ditch your scale.

PrimalCon New York
    Thank you all... I will try to be more patient, and look for other ways to measure progress.