Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You may be strong but are you tough? page

texas.grok is offline Senior Member

You may be strong but are you tough?

Primal Fuel
    Excellent article from the Art of Manliness site and it applies to both sexes.

You May Be Strong . . . But Are You Tough? | The Art of Manliness

I wrote a post on my blog sometime back about how humans seems to have become "weak and needful things", here to read if your interested.

Hardcore Mind Blog Archive Weak and needful things

It is interesting, and disgusting to me to see to what lengths people will go to, to avoid any level of discomfort.

I'm not talking about pain due to injury here or suffering heat/cold to the point of actual bodily harm. But from comfort foods to comfy chairs, some people seem unable to handle any degree of discomfort.

When it turns cold, they bundle up to walk the 10 feet to their car, which has likely already been warming up and drive to the store or work, to only rush the few feet to the comfort of another climate controlled environment. Now I have to admit that I do not like the cold and avoid it if possible. Acclimatizing to the cold is something I really have to work on but I can and have done it.

I have seen people wait for a parking place two spaces closer to the door of the store, just to avoid the additional walking of, perhaps, 15 feet. Disgusting.

One of my favorite quotes came from a martial arts teacher of a friend of mine who said...

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable
    Wise words indeed and one of the first steps towards developing toughness.

And toughness is not the same as physical strength. One of the toughest people that I have heard of is Stephen Hawking. To be in the physical condition he is in and still contribute his brilliance to the world is a strong statement on how mentally tough he is. And I also admire his sense of humor, his voice and cartoon character, as been featured on Family Guy several times.

Toughness, IMHO, is much more important than physical strength. In an emergency, a strong will or toughness will win out over some muscle bound person that melts down when the going gets rough.

Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    I have read a few "survival" skills authors, and they all say the same thing.... that mental toughness is the most important factor in surviving bad situations. The same holds true in every day life. Mental toughness is far more important than how much you can benchpress...

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it is about "being comfortable" because "comfortable" is a feeling, a direct experience, that depends on the individual's reality. I'd rather say that people tend to seek being CUSHIONED, everything has to give that impression of security, safety whereby you can both satisfy the principle of least action AND derive a sense of entitlement.

I will read the article, looks interesting ...

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    In my yoga classes, I teach people to "become comfortable with discomfort" (a take on your martial arts teacher's saying).

And yes, I'm tough. Tougher than most people expect. I work on achieving True Grit. I'm averaging about 67.43% TG right now, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    In my yoga classes, I teach people to "become comfortable with discomfort" (a take on your martial arts teacher's saying).

And yes, I'm tough. Tougher than most people expect. I work on achieving True Grit. I'm averaging about 67.43% TG right now, probably.
    Ok, I have to ask. How do you measure TG? Is there a special instrument for that?
    Randal

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Try living with $1 a day in China or India for a month.
    We will talk about courage, toughness, mental strength, etc.
    Few but ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    Try living with $1 a day in China or India for a month.
    We will talk about courage, toughness, mental strength, etc.
    So far I have worked in 14 different countries, mostly 3rd world/developing countries and you are exactly right.

Being tough and being poor are two things people around the world live with daily. Being tough is nothing they have to develop, it is a way of life.

The so-called "poor" in the USA live like kings compared to a lot of people.

That being said, I have said before that a lot of people didn't realize they were "poor" until Western civilization came in and told them they were poor.

With TV and movies, people are being told that they aren't shit unless they have Coke, Levi's and the latest, greatest star endorsed fashion.
    Randal

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i'm tough enough on most things, but when it's 30 outside i'll be wearing a coat to climb in my heated car to drive to the store to walk the 15 feet to the door

i don't even care. that level of cold is painful.

unless you're with another adult doing adult activities out in the cold. then it's less noticeable.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i'm tough enough on most things, but when it's 30 outside i'll be wearing a coat to climb in my heated car to drive to the store to walk the 15 feet to the door

i don't even care. that level of cold is painful.

unless you're with another adult doing adult activities out in the cold. then it's less noticeable.
    Like a complete idiot, I took a job on a drilling rig in Northern Russia. Above the Arctic Circle. In February. I was supposed to work 28 days on/28 days off. It was 50 below when I left, never went back.

30 degrees I can handled for short periods barefoot and no coat. 50 below was just beyond insane. My brain was freezing, I could not complete a thought.

Never again.....
    Randal

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    and that is the point i'd pitch a fit and cry like a baby til i got back home
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast