Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You may be strong but are you tough? page 3

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Great to hear your personal stories. As I get older I care less about what others think of me and now I'm 42 the only person whose respect I am trying to earn is my own. This forum is refreshing, it's people and their will making right decisions over and over. Congratulations to all who are achieving their goals and defeating their demons.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I'm wary of making any grand chest-beating pronouncements one way or the other on my toughness. You'll know how tough or smart or ethical you are when you're offered an enticing choice of being none of these things. That's when the moment of discovery comes, and the men are separated from the boys.

Until then, stay sharp.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Born in the "Wild West" of china with the "barbarians" under the commie regime. Raging ethnic warfare in my hometown.

Traveled everywhere from Himalayas above timberline to central china and up to Mongolia to collect plant samples with botanist parents.

Then lived 1hr from the Mexican border as one of the only Asian kids on the block while everyone was in a gang.

Good enough for me in terms of learning how to be tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    I forgot my french press once and had to drink instant coffee like some kind of peasant.

There, that is toughness for you.

yeah, I am a pussy. >.>
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I forgot my french press once and had to drink instant coffee like some kind of peasant.

There, that is toughness for you.
    O.M.G. I don't know how you survived! You're so brave!

(I didn't know that instant coffee was still a thing.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have mixed feelings on this. I've had no choice but to be "tough" my whole life. Grew up in a orchard growing and farming family with very little money. We worked long, hard hours in brutal weather day in and day out. We didn't know any different though and never thought to complain. Worked 2-3 tough jobs to put myself though college, again, never occurred to me to want anything different.

I then developed a severe autoimmune disorder with disabling pain and pretty rough treatments....blah, blah, blah ....I guess we all have our stories.

Here's the thing though. I am tired of being tough. Just for a while I want to be warm and comfortable. So if hardship is supposed to make us tougher and stronger, why am I just getting less and less toleranct of it?
    Last edited by jammies; 10-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Oh - and one other thing I find funny in regard to toughness. All the dogs I've ever owned were rough and tumble mutts that could push themselves to their physical limits and endure freezing cold, and other kinds of hardships.

But, every one of them knew how to find the MOST comfortable spot on the sofa or on the bed. They would all seek out soft pillows to rest their head on. So I'm not sure that being tough means going without comfort
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Oh - and one other thing I find funny in regard to toughness. All the dogs I've ever owned were rough and tumble mutts that could push themselves to their physical limits and endure freezing cold, and other kinds of hardships.

But, every one of them knew how to find the MOST comfortable spot on the sofa or on the bed. They would all seek out soft pillows to rest their head on. So I'm not sure that being tough means going without comfort
    I think this is the lesson learned here. I consider myself pretty tough. Having worked under adverse conditions and in demanding jobs, well, toughness was a requirement that was not written into my job description.

But I enjoy putting my feet up in a comfy chair and relaxing. I'm not giving up my comfortable bed to sleep on a rock to toughen myself up, even though I have done my share of sleeping in weird places.

Even the tough as nails mountain men, enjoyed the comfort of a warm fire and a full belly.

Everything in balance, tough and comfortable can both be had. But people choosing comfort over things that might toughen them up make them weak in the end.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post

Here's the thing though. I am tired of being tough. Just for a while I want to be warm and comfortable. So if hardship is supposed to make us tougher and stronger, why am I just getting less and less toleranct of it?
    Know the feeling. I was once told I was strong, I would get through it. I burst into tears, I was tired of being tough & (due to my situation) going it alone. It's exhausting.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Ok, I have to ask. How do you measure TG? Is there a special instrument for that?
    TG-ometer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast