Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foods for big muscles page

CRise is offline Junior Member

Foods for big muscles

Shop Now
    Hey everyone,

Been needing to get back to the PB and have had several things on my mind, hoping some of you can help. I am more interested in being a big, powerful, strong guy at this point in my life, but, I have never felt better than when I stuck to the PB. I am just wondering if there are any of you PB'ers out there that have the same goals right now and have found success with that while living the PB? Every strength based athlete seems to preach the need for grain based starches to really help any mass gains, and would like to hear what could be done on the PB to get the same result? Can grains and starches really be completely replaced without sacrificiing goals?

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    i feel like grains/starches are just an easy way to get calories in. you can easily eat 100g of carbs in oatmeal and not even blink. try doing that with vegetables. its seriously a matter of calories, you know that. you can get even more calories by upping your fat intake, just like the blueprint suggests. in a mass gaining stages, for example, ive taken a shot of olive oil after breakfast. thats 500 calories right there. add 500 cals to your maintenance number of cals and you are gaining weight. a full shot could act a little like a laxative for some people but you get the idea... extra butter+coconut with eggs, handfull of nuts between meals, etc. strength based athletes like powerlifters/strongmen are very rarely lean and are more concerned with muscle mass. they are also tearing their gut to pieces with gallons of milk, in my opinion. eat more fat, more fish, more steak and you are good.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    For those in love with the insulin spike, eat some yams or sweet potatoes. Pwning one's digestive system with bird food is not in the interest of one's future fitness goals.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Eat beef.

(Not me, please).

Also, grain will only hinder you, no matter what anyone says. Munch on an apple if you need carbs. It's better for you.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    For those in love with the insulin spike, eat some yams or sweet potatoes. Pwning one's digestive system with bird food is not in the interest of one's future fitness goals.
    +1
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I concur, good sir.

Thanks for the advice, AntonG, I hear exactly what you are saying. Trying to eat enough carbs through vegetables would pretty much keep you busy all day! Fat is obviously the easier, more logical route. All of this is so new, its hard to reprogram how you think about food, which is honestly the hardest part in making the transition in my experience. I slipped back into my old habits after a month I think more so because I was scrutinizing every thing I put in my mouth like, "really I can eat this, like this, and its what Im supposed to eat?" and so on, I am sure you all know what I mean when you go to making the switch.
    Stabby-definately not fond of the insulin spikes which is why I am working back to the primal choice.
    Beefsister-check on the beef, double check on not eating you.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I dunno...I think I am doing alright not eating grain products - muscles aren't build out of bread.

Mac, I get your point, but as I am sure you are aware bread isn't exactly the point. Brown rice, oatmeal, potatoes are staples in pretty much any strength athletes diet at some point. Bodybuilders, powerlifters, strongmen or the average joe gym warrior that just likes to be stronger than the average bear. This is one area that I haven't really seen the PB reach yet, and is where my interest in its capabilities and effectiveness in this field that really holds my interest. I guess you could say its one CW area that I haven't really seen get debunked by the PB way of eating. Not saying it isn't possible, just haven't seen it really touched on either. Calories are calories but some things have a distinct reaction in the body that strength athletes "need" some may say to attain their goals, This is just a big area of interest for me and am interested in what opinions and hopefully some facts are that are out there on this.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    That's the best you're probably going to get from Mark http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain-...-build-muscle/

In my experience primal eating is great for fitness and overall health but I can't see myself gaining tons of muscle on it. Best to look to guys like Robb Wolf and Art Devany. But then again they aren't huge either. Strong, fit and a hell of a lot healthier than any whey-guzzling dextrose using bodybuilde but not massive. Look at pictures of hunter-gatherers. They're shredded and extremely strong/agile but not huge. So I don't know if I can really say that low carb is great for getting huge. There's a site called "lean gains" where a dude gets, well, lean gains on a low carb diet. But even he doesn't look massive and bulky.

I honestly do not think that eating some yams after a workout is the least bit unhealthy in the case of a young, fit, insulin-sensitive person. Grains are unhealthy but some cooked yams for an active person with great nutrition, good tissue polyunsaturate balance, good sleep/stress levels is like big deal. Insulin goes up, insulin goes down reasonably quickly. More muscle makes for better insulin sensitivity as well.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast