Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan paleo diet page

steffosaurus is offline Junior Member

Vegan paleo diet

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It seems as the debate is a bit one sided. It is always vegan vs paleo and my question is; Is it possible to thrive on a vegan paleo diet? Do you know anyone who has tried?

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    I don't know anyone who's tried, but my guess is the answer would be a resounding no. Unless your version of veganism includes oysters, anyway.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I believe the book It Starts With Food covers vegetarian paleo-esque options, but it's not really paleo by standard definitions since you'd have to rely on fermented/soaked legumes for your protein source. Paleo ways of eating also includes a lot of animal fats, optimally, and you'd have a hard time getting enough of the right kinds of fats without them, I think.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

laurathegoth is offline Member
    I know someone who was very strict vegan for 18 months, she is now eating paleo. We agreed on a lot, but disagreed on more-I can't see them being compatible tbh

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    There is no traditional culture in the world that we know of that has ever existed on an entirely vegan diet. Sure, some eat more or less meat than others, but nobody in "the real world" is a vegan. Veganism is luxury, a product of our modern society. Sure, it is possible to stay alive on a vegan diet and maybe do OK if you ate lots of coconut oil and healthy plant fats. For optimal health results, animal based protein and fat are necessary to really perform as well as the human body is capable of performng.

To answer your question, while some vegan foods (vegetables for example) are considered paleo, adhering to a 100% vegan diet is definitely not paleo, and in my personal opinion, not very healthy either. If this is something you are thinking about (assuming you currently follow a vegan diet), you may want to start with some sort of vegetarian diet with high quality dairy (grass fed butter!), eggs, shellfish, etc. Then work your way up from there to things like grass fed beef and wild fish as you start to see results, improved health, and better mental clarity.

I have never personally had any interest in or experience with vegan diets, but if you search around this forum and other sites you will find plenty of former vegans who switched over to a more ancestral way of eating. Do your own research and make your own decisions about what is best for you.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I don't understand why we have to walk on eggshells about issues like religion and veganism. The answer is a firm, definite no. As in no evidence that anybody survived for any period of time on a vegan diet during the paleolithic period,, no chance we'd have these large brains and small acidic stomachs if we were to thrive as vegans, no way to be healthy on a truly vegan diet in the long run, and no reason to feel self-righteous about not eating other animals.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Cows - yes; humans - no.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    I don't see how vegan paleo could be possible - what would you eat for protein?

Meat, fish, eggs, dairy - not vegan.
    Legumes, grains, meat substitutes from a factory - not paleo

What's left? Tempeh, maybe - not strictly paleo, but not as bad as the modern meat substitutes - and nuts and seeds. So you have a lifetime of nut cutlets, with flax seed to bind instead of egg. Doesn't sound much fun, nor yet particularly healthy.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I don't see how vegan paleo could be possible - what would you eat for protein?
    Vegans.

Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
    https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
    MFP Food Diary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
    (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Mushrooms & potatoes. But it's gonna take a lot of mushrooms.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast