Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If you could recommend one 10-min routine... page 5

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Yoga sun salutations from either main lineage.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Ordered a pull-up bar last night. No more excuses. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free[/QUOTE]
    Very nice!
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I bet 10 minutes of burpee/jump up to hang/negative pullup bar lowers would be a KILLER workout.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I bet 10 minutes of burpee/jump up to hang/negative pullup bar lowers would be a KILLER workout.
    Yup. Tabata burpee (with Pushup) pullups kicks ass
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ShaunP is offline Member
    I am amazed at simplefit. I do alot of walking with baby strapped onto my chest. Baby is now 9kgs which is as much as I have lost since Jan when I changed my diet. I dont get to do the cycling like I used to do so with ski kolidays booked thought I need to do some smple strength training. It has surprised me how effective just doing pull ups, press ups and squats can be!!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I would do something like this: Setting Yourself Up to Win: A Body By Science Approach | Mark's Daily Apple

"If you cannot go to a commercial gym, you can get started with simple free-hand exercises that I will describe to you now.

Chin up: This can be done with a chin-up bar that mounts in a door jam, on a sturdy tree branch or rafter board or playground equipment. If you are not strong enough to do chins, you can set the bar height so you can assist with your legs. If this will not work, simply do them negative only by jumping or climbing to the finished position and lowering yourself as slowly as possible.
    Pushups: If you are too weak to perform strict marine pushups, do them from your knees. If you are too weak to do them from your knees, then do only the lowering portion, lowering as slowly as possible. If you are strong enough to do classic pushups, do them with a few modifications. First is slow movement. Start the first inch very gradually, taking 3 seconds to move the first inch and then keep smooth movement going. Divide the movement in halves. Do the first half (bottom position to elbows bent at 90 degrees) until complete fatigue. After you have exhausted the bottom half, do the top half until complete fatigue (elbows from 90 degrees to almost complete extension).
    Squat: Start first by doing a static wall squat. Place your back against a wall and descend to a seated position where your hip joint and knee joint are both at 90 degrees. Hold this position for as long as possible. You are done when you start to slide down and cannot hold the 90 degree position any longer. Once you are worn out on the static, do a deep knee bend but with the movement divided in half. Do the first half until fatigue (from hips and knees at 90 degrees/thighs parallel to floor, up to the halfway up point where knees are about 45 degrees). Once you canʼt do the bottom half any more, then do the top half of the movement until you canʼt go on. Remember to not straighten your legs completely, but to turn back around when your knees get to about 15 degrees.
    Static Lateral Raise
    : This movement is done using a door frame. Stand with your feet just outside the door frame and bend slightly forward at the waist. Place the backs of your open hands in the opening of the door frame with your elbows slightly bent. You should be positioned like you are going to a lateral raise with dumbbells. With your hands in the door frame, begin to slowly and smoothly press laterally against the frame. Gradually build up to a 50% effort and keep up a 50% effort for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, gradually ramp your effort up to 75% effort and continue for another 30 seconds. After this 30 seconds is up, gradually ramp your effort to 100% and continue for a final 30 seconds. When you first start you will think “this is silly”. However, by the end you will realize that this is probably tougher than anything you could do on a weight machine."

So what I'm saying is that I would find a resistance program with bodyweight and do a HIT workout with it. I would replace the static laterals with some handstand pushups, but thats me. I would also add in a horazontal pull-up ...so their you got the big 5 movements. I might alternate that with a tabata sprint protocol...running or skipping rope.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I would do something like this: Setting Yourself Up to Win: A Body By Science Approach | Mark's Daily Apple

"If you cannot go to a commercial gym, you can get started with simple free-hand exercises that I will describe to you now.

Chin up: This can be done with a chin-up bar that mounts in a door jam, on a sturdy tree branch or rafter board or playground equipment. If you are not strong enough to do chins, you can set the bar height so you can assist with your legs. If this will not work, simply do them negative only by jumping or climbing to the finished position and lowering yourself as slowly as possible.
    Pushups: If you are too weak to perform strict marine pushups, do them from your knees. If you are too weak to do them from your knees, then do only the lowering portion, lowering as slowly as possible. If you are strong enough to do classic pushups, do them with a few modifications. First is slow movement. Start the first inch very gradually, taking 3 seconds to move the first inch and then keep smooth movement going. Divide the movement in halves. Do the first half (bottom position to elbows bent at 90 degrees) until complete fatigue. After you have exhausted the bottom half, do the top half until complete fatigue (elbows from 90 degrees to almost complete extension).
    Squat: Start first by doing a static wall squat. Place your back against a wall and descend to a seated position where your hip joint and knee joint are both at 90 degrees. Hold this position for as long as possible. You are done when you start to slide down and cannot hold the 90 degree position any longer. Once you are worn out on the static, do a deep knee bend but with the movement divided in half. Do the first half until fatigue (from hips and knees at 90 degrees/thighs parallel to floor, up to the halfway up point where knees are about 45 degrees). Once you canʼt do the bottom half any more, then do the top half of the movement until you canʼt go on. Remember to not straighten your legs completely, but to turn back around when your knees get to about 15 degrees.
    Static Lateral Raise
    : This movement is done using a door frame. Stand with your feet just outside the door frame and bend slightly forward at the waist. Place the backs of your open hands in the opening of the door frame with your elbows slightly bent. You should be positioned like you are going to a lateral raise with dumbbells. With your hands in the door frame, begin to slowly and smoothly press laterally against the frame. Gradually build up to a 50% effort and keep up a 50% effort for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, gradually ramp your effort up to 75% effort and continue for another 30 seconds. After this 30 seconds is up, gradually ramp your effort to 100% and continue for a final 30 seconds. When you first start you will think “this is silly”. However, by the end you will realize that this is probably tougher than anything you could do on a weight machine."

So what I'm saying is that I would find a resistance program with bodyweight and do a HIT workout with it. I would replace the static laterals with some handstand pushups, but thats me. I would also add in a horazontal pull-up ...so their you got the big 5 movements. I might alternate that with a tabata sprint protocol...running or skipping rope.
    Sounds good. Those door frame lateral raises are much harder than you think.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Sounds good. Those door frame lateral raises are much harder than you think.
    Yeah, they are... I've done em. I've just got some shoulder issues that do better with a press motion than lateral movements.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Another simple possibility is the first Viking Warrior Protocol. Take the number of reps you can do - going hard - for one minute. Do those for 15 sec, take 15 sec rest. Repeat. Doing that for 10 min will be 20 rounds (15 sec + 15 sec = 30 sec per round).

I like to do an alternating round of pushups (8) and air squats (8). So in 10 min, I've done 80 of each - 8 squats/rest/8 pushups/rest = 1 minute.

The first few minutes aren't too bad ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast