Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help for the new guy page

welshjames is offline Junior Member

A little help for the new guy

Primal Fuel
    Hi Guys, I have been trying to eat primal for the last 6 weeks. I did lapse a bit last week so I am trying to get back on track now. I was wondering if you guys could help vet what I eat to see if I am getting the principle right.

I only drink water or green tea

Breakfast
    Chicken breast with handful of brocolli.
    Some blueberries and strawberries.

Or

3 bacon slices and 2 egs
    Some melon.

Mid morning snack
    1/4 grapefruit

Lunch
    Chicken breast and handful of brocolli.

Or

Stir fried chicken or beef with red pepper,spring onion, brocolli, zuchini (all fried in coconut oil).

Gym/or rugby training

Tea

Or

Stir fried chicken or beef with red pepper,spring onion, brocolli, zuchini (all fried in coconut oil).

On weekends I tend to make a paleo chicken curry as a "cheat" meal.
    Sometimes I will snack on some peanut butter (not primal I know but I am still human and in this for the long haul and not a quick fix )

I just want to see if I am doing this correct or whether I need to change things up a little?

Grok 'n Roll is offline Junior Member
    I've not been eating primal very long myself either but your foods are all on the approved list, it just looks a bit, I dunno, chickeny! There are other things to eat that will keep it interesting! As an example this week I have eaten as an evening meal (I skip breakfast and have a salad for lunch, with some lean protein and nuts for satiety)

Beef Stroganoff
    Homemade meatballs with braised spring onions (Scallions for our American friends!)
    Cheese Omelette

Tonight I have crispy pork carnitas on the menu, and I made some home made chicken Kiev's last night, which I'll have on Friday. All the above can be found in the Primal Recipe section on the main site.

Yes, there is some effort and planning involved. But you get out what you put in mate, if you just buy a job lot of chicken and spend your days wondering how you can vary your meals it's no wonder you'll fall off the wagon occasionally. But if you vary things I think you have more chance of gradually merging this style of eating to the extent it becomes alien to not do so.

Last night I also had some blueberries and vanilla double cream, gorgeous. I didn't even feel the slightest pang of guilt about having half a fairy cake that the mother in law had made

Variety is the spice of life so they say!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welshjames View Post
    Hi Guys, I have been trying to eat primal for the last 6 weeks. I did lapse a bit last week so I am trying to get back on track now. I was wondering if you guys could help vet what I eat to see if I am getting the principle right.

I only drink water or green tea

Breakfast
    Chicken breast with handful of brocolli.
    Some blueberries and strawberries.

Or

3 bacon slices and 2 egs
    Some melon.

Mid morning snack
    1/4 grapefruit

Lunch

Or

Gym/or rugby training

Tea

Or

On weekends I tend to make a paleo chicken curry as a "cheat" meal.
    Sometimes I will snack on some peanut butter (not primal I know but I am still human and in this for the long haul and not a quick fix )

I just want to see if I am doing this correct or whether I need to change things up a little?
    Man, swap out some of that dry, boring chicken breast for some fatty meat.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Man, swap out some of that dry, boring chicken breast for some fatty meat.
    Yeah, too much chicken!! why so much chicken ? Lamb and beef, that's the deal! And their organs too!
    What is your goal exactly ?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    +1 on RM's suggestion. Beef is a better meat. At the very least, roast the whole chicken. One thing that I would recommend as an essential staple is home-made bone broth (it is one of the most important things that help feeling well on Paleo/Primal). And adding some liver or other offal in will be super as well.

If possible (i.e. you do not have blood sugar problems), please, eat the whole grapefruit. You are quite active, so you should be able to eat an extra fruit serving. On the same note, after your training, I suggest that you'd add some good tubers in.

Adding a variety to your veggies can also help! Cucumbers, tomatoes, cauliflower, radishes, eggplants... Make a good hearty soup or chili with the bone broth.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thank you for the responses guys. I try and eat beef 2-3 times a week to mix it up. I do love lamb so I will start adding that in more.

My ambition is to make some stews/broth when I learn how to use our slow cooker lol.

My goal is to lose weight/fat without having to train twice a day 6 days a week like I used to. Feels like I was trying to out train a bad diet. So I'd rather eat better and train a little less

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welshjames View Post
    Thank you for the responses guys. I try and eat beef 2-3 times a week to mix it up. I do love lamb so I will start adding that in more.
    Yeah, I try to eat beef 2-3 times/day. Lamb's just as good.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    welshjames, you don't have to train 2x day, 6 days week!!!! Man, I would hate it myself ...
    Sprint hard 30mn / week, do HIIT (high intensity interval training) 2x week like heavy weight lifting, anything that takes your whole body to "commit"! And that should be it
    Relax the rest of the time by walking a lot, sleeping well and enough, avoid chronic stress, etc. But yeah, the food must not be an obstacle but your priority.

Thanks Frenchfry that's the new plan, relax more but incorporate more HIIT, sprints, lifting may throw some crossfit in too.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think you are doing great.

Slow-cookers are super easy. Just don't forget to roast your bones (or get them from roasted stuff, like a chicken) before putting it in a slow cooker. Tie your spice pack into cheese cloth (along with onion, celery, dry shitake if wanted). Put for about an hour on high to start the boiling, then reduce to low for 8-12 hrs, and you are golden. I prefer making broth on the stove-top myself though, but I have the really low settings on mine so I can leave it bubbling away for a day or two.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast