Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another sleep question page

Chris Bickley is offline Junior Member

Another sleep question

Primal Fuel
    I know this is probably been answered before but i am after some specific answers to my problem.

I have being Paleo for a little while and never used to have trouble sleeping. I used to be one of the 5 small meals guys. This week i have i have gone to doing 3 larger meals while doing a 16/8 fasting model (I eat between 2pm and 10pm). I eat three meals at 2pm,6pm and 9:30pm. I used to have 5 small meals eating at about 3pm/6pm/7pm/8pm and 9:30pm. So as you can see i was going to bed quite full due to eating a lot close to bed. I now howerver eat the same amount over 3 meals instead of 5. I am going to bed not too full but not hungry as i eat right before bed. I feel better as i am not cramming food into my stomach.
    Since going from the three meals to five, my sleep has been poor. Sleeping a lot less and tossing and turning more. I have not eaten any less or more, just grouped my 5 meals into 3.

Below i will list the three meals. Just so everyone knows, i dislike fish and Avocados so that is why they are missing from my diet.

I use 2 tbsp of Coconut oil for cooking

Meal 1 - 2pm

10oz Chicken
    3oz Sweet Potatoe
    1 tbsp butter
    Apple
    Large veggie mix (Carrot/squash/mushrooms/red pepper)

Meal 2 - 6pm

7oz rump steak
    3oz gammon steak
    3oz sweet potatoe
    20 Almonds
    Large veggie mix (Carrots/mushrooms/red pepper/squash/cauliflower/lettuce/tomatoe)

Meal 3 - 9:30 (just before bed)

3 Eggs
    2oz sweet potato
    7oz Chicken
    3oz Gammon steak
    1/2 cup blueberries

This lot works out to roughly 250g protein (i know its a lot but it fills me up more), 200g carbs, 100g Fats.

Works out to around 2,600 cals. Not looking to drop or gain any weight.

I workout 3 times a week.

I am looking to add some more fat in place of the protein a bit further down the line.

Anybody know why after eating these 3 meals i am having trouble sleeping, as opposed to the 5 smaller meals i was having before which made me sleepy?

Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hello, i would suggest stir-fried white rice instead of sweet potatoes in your last meal, and increase your prebiotics in general (unripe bananas, onions, artichokes, roasted-cooled 24h-then-fried-white-potatoes, etc). It makes me sleep like a baby after years of broken sleep due to poor gut flora I believe. Just try it and see if that helps.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If you eat the same foods only in 5 smaller meals, would you sleep better? Primal does not insist on having less meals a day. Some folks do great on the IF, some do badly, because of the added stress on the system.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

poing is offline Member
    I don't quite understand the schedule. You're loading up with food, and are pretty much as full as you can get by the time you go to bed, but asleep is when we expend the least energy. I know that if I eat close to bedtime, then I can't sleep because I feel too energised. I need to leave a couple of hours between eating and sleeping.

This doesn't exactly answer the question of why five small meals worked and three large ones doesn't, but it could be because you've moved more of your food closer to bedtime when you moved to the larger meals.

Why not move your meals to an earlier time in the day? You could eat between 10 am and 6pm and still maintain the same 16/8 fasting model. I don't do this on purpose, but I have naturally moved to a way of eating where my first proper meal is at about 9:30 and my last is at about 6:30... I just do it because it just seems to work for me.

I'm sure I came across a study recently where insulin control was better with the majority of the food loaded into the earlier hours of the day compared to when food was loaded into the later hours in the day. The study was on women with PCOS, so may or may not be generalisable to everyone else... but it's not the first place that I've heard it's better to load your food consumption into the earlier parts of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If you eat the same foods only in 5 smaller meals, would you sleep better? Primal does not insist on having less meals a day. Some folks do great on the IF, some do badly, because of the added stress on the system.
    I was sleeping better on the 5 meals but my stomach feels better with meals spaced out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    I don't quite understand the schedule. You're loading up with food, and are pretty much as full as you can get by the time you go to bed, but asleep is when we expend the least energy. I know that if I eat close to bedtime, then I can't sleep because I feel too energised. I need to leave a couple of hours between eating and sleeping.

This doesn't exactly answer the question of why five small meals worked and three large ones doesn't, but it could be because you've moved more of your food closer to bedtime when you moved to the larger meals.

Why not move your meals to an earlier time in the day? You could eat between 10 am and 6pm and still maintain the same 16/8 fasting model. I don't do this on purpose, but I have naturally moved to a way of eating where my first proper meal is at about 9:30 and my last is at about 6:30... I just do it because it just seems to work for me.

I'm sure I came across a study recently where insulin control was better with the majority of the food loaded into the earlier hours of the day compared to when food was loaded into the later hours in the day. The study was on women with PCOS, so may or may not be generalisable to everyone else... but it's not the first place that I've heard it's better to load your food consumption into the earlier parts of the day.
    2PM till 10pm fits with my schedule best. I work out fasted and eat straight after. I dont think moving the meals earlier would cure the problem as i used to eat a lot before bed and slept better.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    If I were you, I would eat twice a day and make the meals earlier. Or at least the second meal not as close to bedtime.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If I were you, I would eat twice a day and make the meals earlier. Or at least the second meal not as close to bedtime.
    But i was eating a lot and close to bedtime and sleeping great. Since spacing the meals out, sleep has worsened.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bickley View Post
    But i was eating a lot and close to bedtime and sleeping great. Since spacing the meals out, sleep has worsened.
    And maybe it won't help, but you won't know unless you try!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

True, i may have to try the standard Breakfast, lunch and dinner again. Going to be difficult as i love eating often. Going 4 hours plus in between meals will be a challenge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast