Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my superdeluxe primal challenge page

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member

Wink my superdeluxe primal challenge

I've been following the Primal Blueprint for about 3-4 weeks, and feeling great, but have decided that a journal would help me have a bit more structure. (Also, I'd like to connect with some of the great people who have also been inspired by the book and this site.) I feel like my skin is better, and I have morning energy. But I've been eating too much yogurt/berries/nuts, so I haven't been losing weight, which I would like to do.

A bit about me: I'm a single woman livng in NYC. I'm about 5'1" and 143 pounds. My goal weight is 120. As I'm very muscular, that would be quite thin for me even though it's at the high end of the weight range for my height. As much as I'd love to be the willowy type, I think I have to give in to my natural body type, which is that of a Romanian weight lifter. Short muscles that bulk easily. I've had success with low carb diets before but I think one reason why I didn't stick with them long-term was that I was trying to stay too low carb. Also I was still addicted to Diet Coke. In the past month, I've gone from drinking 2-3 liters per day to less than one per week. I still allow myself a rum and diet coke if I'm on a date or at my recent HS reunion.

My favorite thing about PB is no chronic cardio. I tried to love running, really I did. And I hate it. But I'm really enjoying sprinting! And weight lifting comes naturally to my body type. I have just started Shovelglove, which is quite the workout.

Last night I cooked dinner for some friends, chicken breasts stuffed with tomatoes, artichokes and goat cheese, topped with mushrooms cooked in butter, and served with green beans and carrots. My friend's husband was relieved that she had stopped her vegan diet (she's just trying to find a healthy diet, not lose weight) and I think they were pretty shocked at the amount of animal fat I now eat! I gave my friend a copy of Primal Blueprint...I hope she'll be convinced to give it a try.

Anyway, so far today I had a 2 OZ coconut flakes, 2T coconut oil and 1T of a low carb chocolate with malitol (leftover from low carb last year). This was purely to try to get something to start working with my intestines, which seem to have gone on strike for 5 days. Otherwise, I'm fasting until dinner, which will be chicken breast stuffed with artichokes, sundried tomato and a bit of goat cheese and a big salad with hearts of palm and peppers. I'm not consciously fasting, I'm just not hungry and my protein hasn't defrosted! I spent the morning (Monday's are my day off) sprinting in the park, scaring the cat while I swung my sledgehammer around, and increasing my pull up skills--today I did 3 negative pull ups.

So my goals for the first 30 days are to lose 5 pounds and to make some progress on the pull up front!

Thanks to everyone who has posted their stories on MDA; you have inspired me and I'm excited to hear your tips throughout the next month.
    IMG_2008..jpg
    Last edited by superdeluxe; 06-20-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Greg is offline Senior Member
    Hi, superdeluxe

Welcome to MDA and glad you're keeping a journal. Cool name & AMAZING picture too!

Hopefully you can adapt to ditching the artificial sweeteners all together. Although I can understand if you need to splash some in your Bacardi once in a while lol.

Trying to stay too low carb... How did that wind up throwing you off?

Looking forward to reading your future posts
    ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply! I think the issue before was that in order to stay on Atkins induction-level carbs for long periods of time to keep losing, I severely restricted my vegetables and had no fruit. I would carefully measure out bits of onions or peppers, and didn't have a carrot for 6 months. Now I'm enjoying all the vegetables I want, and eating berries frequently. Of course I will have to reduce the berries quite a bit if I want to see progress on the scale. And I'm not going to go on any carrot binges, but it will be nice to not have to pick them out of my foods. I just missed those thing so much that it was hard to persist, although i did stay on it for 6 months. The other issues were definitely chronic use of artificial sweeteners and not eating enough fat. And I was definitely using the wrong types of fats. I cringe now when I think of the fats I used to cook with. I'm all about butter, olive oil and coconut oil now! Last week was a crazy week so I thought I would buy some storebought dressing, and was horrified by what was in the dressings at wholefoods: soybean oil, corn oil, canola. Ugh! And of course, it only took 5 minutes to make enough of a delicious homemade one for the whole week.

As for the picture, walking the Camino Inca is pretty much the ideal primal vacation! Lots of walking and sunshine at high altitiude, going to sleep when the sun went down...I highly recommend it. But don't do it in rainy season like I did! Camping out for four nights in the pouring rain was not fun at all!
    In fact, I believe I referred to those four days as the nadir of my existence...

before photo

Attachment 874
    File under "please don't let my ex see this photo." I'm committed now! In one month, I want to look healthier and leaner, and um...more bathed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What have I done to myself? I had an excellent primal day and then really messed up tonight. I was running late today, so I just had a spoonful of coconut oil before work. At work, someone brought a big middle eastern spread, and I had yummy salad, chicken, gyro meat, lamb, hot sauce and tzatziki, ignoring the baklava/pita/humus/tabouli. Gold star.

Took a pleasant two mile walk to dinner with colleagues, in high heels, wishing I had my vibrams on. At which point I had 2 rum and diet cokes, and decided I could eat a lot of carbohydrates. i'm not sure why I thought it was okay. In any event, until I started PB, I was someone who had a stomach of iron. No longer. I had 3 rolls (I know, I know, I would never have done that in the past...somehow I felt invincible), some potatoes and a little chocolate cake for dessert. And it's not like there wasn't perfectly appropriate food there, because I had plenty of crudite and some nice roasted chicken too.

Anyway, I was about 1.25 hours from home, and it was the longest journey ever. Stomach cramps, bloating to the point I had to take my belt off, nausea and cold sweats. I thought I was going to be sick on the subway or on the street on the way home. I made it home but I've been in agony for 3 hours. I still look as though I'm about to deliver a bowling ball. My bloating is so severe that I'm wondering if I may develop stretch marks from this one night! I guess I'm no longer able to digest grains. The trick will be to remember how I feel at this very moment the next time I'm presented with any grains again. I'm exhausted but too uncomfortable to sleep, and have a long day ahead at work and guests coming over in the evening.

And to top it off, I couldn't an allergy pill tonight because I think swallowing anything will put me over the edge in terms of nausea, the cat won't leave me alone, and I'm sneezing my head off.

No one to blame but myself. Grrr.

Anyone else have an issue with not being able to tolerate grains after giving them up? I used to eat plenty of bread before (okay, probably never tried three rolls at one meal before!) and never felt like this...

Had a pretty good primal day yesterday after my disastrous Tuesday night. I had a teaspoon of coconut oil at 8 AM and then nothing until 8PM, which was nice gut rest after all of those carbs. No hunger. During my lunch break I took an hour long walk around Chinatown to get vegetables for my dinner party.

Dinner was a Brazillian seafood stew with tilapia, shrimp and lots of red pepers, tomatoes and onions. A salad with lettuce, hearts of palm, red onions and lots of homemade dressing with olive oil. The guests had rice, as I didn't want to force my dietary views on them. I will just draw them in with my success! Although the guests are all very thin (my friend in fact has osteoporosis in her 20s due to lots of running as a teenager, and I'm sure in part due to her high grain diet), so they think this is just a crazy weight loss diet instead of a new healthy lifestyle for me. For dessert we had blackberries, cherries and blueberries with whipped cream; my roommate whipped it with about 2 teaspoons sugar for all four of us...I should have passed on the sweetened whipped cream but didn't.

Ironically, my roommate, who is a PhD student in nutrition (oh the mice that have died at his hand) is trying to participate in a statin study himself. He thinks it will be funny to be able to tell his students that he was in a statin drug trial, and he thinks they're a great idea. I warned him about the conginitive/muscle effects of statins, and he laughed off my concerns. I can understand someone with cardiovascular disease being frightened enough to take a statin, but for a healthy young person to sign up to take the drugs (that I consider harmful) for no good reason is beyond ridiculous. Smart people can be stupid. (Hey, I've done dumb things too. Often I even know they're dumb while I'm doing them.)

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Oh yay, a fellow NYC-er! Welcome!

Also, I personally think looking "willowy" is overrated, muscle is hot. :P
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

No fruit is safe in my presence

SGP--what part of the city are you in? I'm in Washington Heights

Breakfast: 1 t. coconut oil
    Lunch: lettuce, peppadew peppers, 3 oz chick breast, 1 oz boursin, homemade vinaigrette
    dinner: 1 t coconut oil, Brazilian tilapia and shrimp stew...wait for it...1 cup blackberries, 2 cups cherries, a small peach and 0.5 pint heavy cream with a little splenda (bad girl)

I'm just barely under 100 grams of carbs, but about 16 percent carbs thanks to all that coconut oil. Luckily, I'm near the end of my fruit supply--I just have my incredibly sour blackberries left. Must not visit the fruit stand over the weekend!

Sprinted after work in the park. Fun! Tomorrow is my early day at work so I'm having a quiet night in with a Nurse Jackie marathon.

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
    SGP--what part of the city are you in? I'm in Washington Heights
    I'm in the bronx...but I work and spend most of my time in the city it's nice to know there are more new york PB-ers. I get lost in the sea of vegans sometimes.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Had a big breakfast before heading into work: Steak some boursin on top.
    Lunch: Tilapia and shrimp stew (lots of red peppers, tomatoes, onions)
    Dinner: Shrimp and tilapia stew, blackberries, blueberries, greek yogurt, 1 t honey, shredded coconut! Finally finished the sour blackberries.
    Snack: coconut oil because I'm still a bit peckish

I had a bit of a pick me up as someone I have a crush on sent me a postcard today. I met him in Peru but he's Swiss. File under geographically undesirable! Might be time for a ski holiday next winter...I'm really a 12-year-old trapped in the body of a grown up.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast