Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keratosis Pilaris page 2

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    pie,
    UR hella busted.
    CYa....

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    You know, more and more I come across problems like this that are touted as "hereditary" that have very definitive connections to possible vitamin deficiencies. Vitamin deficiencies can be "hereditary" too, as in, if a pregnant mother isn't getting enough of something she's going to pass that deficiency on to her young. She's also likely got whatever health problem those deficiencies cause, and it gets passed on. Then it gets called "hereditary" and people assume that there's nothing they can do about it because well...mom had it, grandma had it, sisters have it...whatever. I wish there was more study on this stuff.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    yeah i get this really badly, too! i've had it for a few years all over my thighs and the back of my arms. gross.
    at first, i treated it with an iron fist... i would wash with soap and water, then scrub with salt, and keep it dry. -i was told it was similar to acne, and to let it "dry itself out".
    then, i realized i wasn't eating any fat and that my skin was now itchy and dry. so i started using a really good moisturizer after the salt scrub and eating a crap ton of fat, even taking fish oil. also getting a little sun on the pasty parts. it worked, my skin is really nice now. my advice: unscented moisturizer, fat, and sun.

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Scrub your arms well when you take a shower. It will go away in a few weeks.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I've struggled with this so badly! The scrubbing often makes it worse unless like cookie suggested you can find a moisturizer that really helps. I'm still searching, but soaking in epsom salts (2 cups for a bath) everyother day has really cleared it up a lot. I'm using coconut oil afterwards right now.

SKarry is offline Member
    I have this problem too - the best scrub I've found is the Basin White Shea Salt Scrub. It's a bit pricey at $35/jar, but the jar will last you about three months. I use it on my arms and legs approximately every other day. Doesn't eliminate the problem, but it helps more than anything I've tried.

A somewhat distant second would be Bath & Body Works "I'm in the Mood for Scrub" for $20. Not quite as moisturizing as the Basin White, but okay and much easier to come by.

Otherwise, I second the Amlactin lotion and getting plenty of sun. I'm going to try Vitamin D supplements and epsom salt bath as well to see if either of those helps. Unfortunately, changing my diet hasn't made any improvement.

ginabmonkey is offline Junior Member
    I have this in a very mild form on my upper arms. I've been primal since April 1st, and I've begun noticing an improvement in my arm skin the past couple weeks. Could be just the diet change, but may also be attributed to 6,000 IU of D supplementation.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Even with optimal serum 25(OH)D levels and a variety of A levels (I've tweaked A intake for 7 years), I still have KP.

KP can be prevented via a multi modal approach to increase cell turnover (exfoliants; chemical and/or physical) and moisturizing. It's not acne or pimples and is not like acne or pimples (ie not caused by a combination of p acnes bacteria and hormonal factors)

Applying topical exfoliants can be very helpful as well - BHA, any of the AHA's, or even retinoids like retin-A (tretinoin) or tazorac. A yogurt and aspirin mask is also really wonderful for it - but cold.

My favorite AHA lotion in terms of formulation is C Booth Alpha Hydroxy Lotion but it's hard to find and I'm not in love with the smell.

Here's what I do:
    aqua glycolic or derma E glycolic cleanser or Priori lactic acid cleanser - every few days, applied to dry skin. let sit for a few minutes then hop in shower, wet, scrub with scrubby gloves, then rinse.

CeraVe lotion or C Booth AHA lotion after getting out of the shower.

Additionally i'll swipe my arms every once in awhile with an AHA or BHA product and will mix some tretinoin with CeraVe and apply that to my arms.

When I want really fabulously super soft skin, the yogurt aspirin mask is the best bet. B/c it's cold and messy, I don't do it often. 1/4 tsp pulverized aspirin to 1T full fat yogurt. Leave on dry clean skin as long as you can stand it, then shower/exfoliate as above and moisturize well.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Faumdano is offline Member
    I used to have a very mild case of it on my upper arms (mostly just a slightly rough texture and faintly visible bumps), but ever since I've experimented with showering in warm water only (no soap) using a washcloth to scrub, I've noticed a very significant improvement in the texture and appearance of my upper arms. My skin in general is much less dry since I've stopped using soap, so perhaps, as others have suggested, skin moisture is part of the problem.

Maybe try giving the no soap thing a go? I haven't tried no shampoo because I use hair styling wax, but it took virtually no effort to adjust to no soap showering.
    Last edited by Faumdano; 06-07-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo

ginabmonkey is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Faumdano's reply reminded me that I also stopped using soap on my arms as well, so that might also be something to try.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast