Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: in your opinion...best fat reduction strategy? page 3

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Regarding the Dumbbells, buy some small weight discs ( around 1 lb ) and duct tape them to your dumbbells.
    Or wrist weights and ankle weights. They come in 1-pound increments too.

as for the food, please read Mark's website and books.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Sprinting (assuming your body can take it) is always a good fitness thing, but it burns very few calories during the exercise (Usain Bolt burns less than 20 calories(!) running at world-record speeds) and the "afterburn" effects have been studied to death and found to be insignificant.

Nothing wrong, and lots good, with doing them, just don't increase your calorie intake on the belief that sprinting is helping you burn a whack more calories.
    It has nothing to do with the burn while doing them. Post exercise burn is where its at. Exercise for caloric expenditure at the time of said exercise is a losing proposition. Thats why chronic cardio gets a bad rap.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-04-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
    thank you for all your input...very much appreciated.

NH, thank you for this...i will answer within the quote.

so based on that info, any other recs/changes? i have had way too many social events the last week, i rather don't like it, but don't seat them either. i just enjoy a bit of whatever is at said events and back to primal. i think they should let up soon. so feel i have back a bit this last week. but any way, thank you for your input.

(haven't read the other replys yet, but will tomorrow. thanks all! )
    I recommend a HFLC with 50-100g from carbs and 1g/lb of lean mass from protein as a general rule. Fat should figure itself out by eating primal chunks of meat, eggs, fish, nuts, seeds, and such.

For the exercise portion I like the squats and deads.... but you would do well to incorporate some larger muscle groups from your upper body. Chest, shoulders and back in particular. Assisted or unassisted chins, rows, horizontal pull-ups, push ups, bench press, overhead press....ect. Pick 2 pushes, 2 pulls and 1-2 leg exercises for each workout. For sprints I greatly prefer doing them on a bike with variable resistance. Sprints have had me pull a hammy a couple times... increasing resistance on a bike lets you up the intensity and reduce risk of injury and wear and tear on them knees.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Don't eat. Don't eat for 40-48 hours. During this time, fill a one gallon jug with a preparation of BCAA, salt, lemon juice, and chia seeds. This will be your only companion for your all day hike on the second day of fasting.

Do this twice a month. Do not eat retarded the rest of the time. Workout with heavy weight to get strong. Enjoy being ripped up.

Done. Just wrote my own diet book
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
    i know every body is different, but i am looking for various things to try for reducing body fat.

background:

female
    38 yo (39 the end of the month)
    mother of 4 by c-section

on and off weight loss efforts since 2007 with several bouts of not giving hoot about what i eat, but i always return. have always HATED exercise. BUT, have been blessed with an intense desire to get fit with more than just losing weight, so for the last 2 mos have been walking and 3 days a week lifting as heavy as i can. i only have access to dumbbells so am limited on increasing weights, can only increase by 5 lbs. that's a big jump so have been at the weight i am at for awhile, but they are getting easier so am hoping to move up to the next weight in the next few weeks.

my goals for now are fat reduction and toning...IF i get to a point that i am able to add muscle, great, but for now, i simply want fat reduction with toning/firming.

i mostly eat protein, fat, WELL cooked veggies occasionally (gut can't handle too many veggies) and fruit ('mushy' type fruits work best...grapes, melon, frozen fruit in protein shakes/smoothies, altho i do love apples, they act like veggies do on my gut. ). have no idea on macros/calories/percentages as i can't tolerate that close of monitoring as it leads to obsessive tendencies. so it's best if i just don't count anything. i generally make loose mental notes of where i am protein wise. i have decided to try cutting fat down to see if that helps speed up fat loss along with some calorie reduction. it hasn't been long that i have been doing this and those danged social events keep popping up, but am hoping to get a good string of days with no 'interruptions'.

so, there's some background...i'd love to hear your best/favorite fat reduction plans.

thanks so much!!
    Hey there Dazygrl... I'm a mom of 4 kids too and we're about the same age. Like your other thread, I will tell you what works for ME and what I learned. Most men on here are all for the weight lifting and it is great but I know with all my heart that women need to do cardio for weight loss.

Years ago after my fourth baby, I started my running up on the treadmill in the winter. I started by sprinting for one minute and then walking for one minute. I did this for about 8-10 sprints. By the end of each sprinting minute, you should feel like you are going to fall off or die before the minute is up. That way you know you are doing enough and the progress will be quick.

Another big thing, is you should be clearing your bowels every morning for a flat tummy. If you are not fully cleaning house every morning you should work on getting that fixed.

For ME, I need to eat a high protein, no carb breakfast. If I have carbs, even fruit at breakfast, I will most likely be hungrier during the day.

I do not eat very much at dinner. It is by far the smallest meal of the day.

I learned from Chocotaco on here that you do not need oil on your salad. I use balsamic vinegar now and don't miss the super fattening olive oil at all!

Make sure if you are truly hungry before you eat. Sometimes I feel hungry and drink a bunch of water to find I'm not hungry anymore.

**I wanted to add the sprints are great and work for a good while but eventually you'll need to get outside and do a straight run after you hit a plateau. You will be able to do it too!

All the best to you!
    Julie
    Last edited by JulieRUNS; 10-04-2013 at 09:51 PM.

dazygyrl is offline Member
    thank you all! i appreciate all the different ideas to sort out what would work best for me.

NH...where i do my lifting doesn't have sort of bar work. i could do pushups, but no place for any of the other things you mentioned so will see how i can improvise. thanks for the ideas on sprints...when i hear 'sprint', i think that only means running. there is an elliptical where i lift and a bike, i didn't even think of using those things for 'sprints'. i think there is a rower too.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The rower is supposed to be the best actually. And your sprint should be short. 1 minute is not a sprint. It should be 20-30 seconds.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Grizz is offline Banned
    The most effective method to lose weight is to stop eating bread & anything made from wheat.

Our neighbor lost 100 lbs in one year doing this, and she is house bound - cannot exercise. We have other friends with similar results. Photos & why it works here:
    Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight

Melissa-Ann-before-and-after-300x253.jpg

Before & After WHEAT !
    Story here:
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/0...lly-challenge/

Steph's Story:
    Steph-before-225x300.jpg
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/0...-not-worth-it/

Amazing health benefits also follow giving up wheat.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    Hey there Dazygrl... I'm a mom of 4 kids too and we're about the same age. Like your other thread, I will tell you what works for ME and what I learned. Most men on here are all for the weight lifting and it is great but I know with all my heart that women need to do cardio for weight loss.

Years ago after my fourth baby, I started my running up on the treadmill in the winter. I started by sprinting for one minute and then walking for one minute. I did this for about 8-10 sprints. By the end of each sprinting minute, you should feel like you are going to fall off or die before the minute is up. That way you know you are doing enough and the progress will be quick.

Another big thing, is you should be clearing your bowels every morning for a flat tummy. If you are not fully cleaning house every morning you should work on getting that fixed.

For ME, I need to eat a high protein, no carb breakfast. If I have carbs, even fruit at breakfast, I will most likely be hungrier during the day.

I do not eat very much at dinner. It is by far the smallest meal of the day.

I learned from Chocotaco on here that you do not need oil on your salad. I use balsamic vinegar now and don't miss the super fattening olive oil at all!

Make sure if you are truly hungry before you eat. Sometimes I feel hungry and drink a bunch of water to find I'm not hungry anymore.

**I wanted to add the sprints are great and work for a good while but eventually you'll need to get outside and do a straight run after you hit a plateau. You will be able to do it too!

All the best to you!
    Julie

Not to hijack, but Julie would you mind sharing what your typical day of food looks like? What are your macros like? I ask b/c I've always struggled to run AND attempt a LC diet.
    Tx!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    1200 calories per day. Once a week or every 10 days, eat 1700 calories.
    Measure and weigh everything or you'll only be guessing how much you eat.
    Walk or bike about an hour at least 5x per week.

Plan your protein first. Eat eggs. Try hard boiled to curb hunger.
    Low carb to your comfort zone.
    Don't go so low fat that the ends of your hair start breaking off.

Figure out how you can do it for the long haul. If that's three small meals, cool. If it's one big meal, cool. Find something that feels like a treat so you don't feel deprived. Keep as primal as possible.

Take five or ten minutes in the morning to plan what you're going to eat. You'll make errors if you have an empty fridge or nothing around when you're hungry.

Just an opinion.
    I agree with this. Definitely do your protein first. We usually plan the next day's meals the evening before in case we need to do prep in the evening before bed. Much easier to do it then than in the morning.

Your exercise sounds great, so keep doing that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast