Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Female hormone troubleshooting / menstrual tracking page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Female hormone troubleshooting / menstrual tracking

Many women here seem to have menstrual and hormonal difficulties and I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we can pool our knowledge and hopefully work towards some solutions and balance

My angle: I was diagnosed with oestrogen dominance a few months ago. I went on supplemental progesterone and it changed my life (good bye: life long depression and chronic fatigue!). But, I think I can be healthier. I still get frequent periods, debilitating PMS, and severe mood swings. I'm 31 (32 next month).

I've started menstrual tracking because knowledge is power, and apparently the simple act of observation can help to alleviate symptoms. Just wondering if any one else has done this or is interested in learning about it with me?

Please share your stories and we'll see if we can help each other! Men with knowledge are more than welcome too
    Last edited by YogaBare; 10-05-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

What I've learned about the menstrual cycle so far:

The menstrual cycle is a map. When you observe it you can begin to identify patterns that your body, mind and emotions go through each month. You can then use the map to orientate you: to pre-expect symptoms, and to make the most of your time during your energy's ebbs and flows.

Knowing the cycle is knowing yourself. From that you no longer feel like you are a bystander who experiences "happen to": you become empowered to take charge of your health and life.

What happens within the cycle is actually fascinating.

The rise and fall of particular hormones generates different emotions, thought patterns, and physical reactions. So much so that the four stages of the cycle have been associated with the four seasons.

Associating a mental / emotional aspect with each phase of the cycle may sound "woo-woo" to some people, but it makes sense if you consider that different hormones trigger different emotions. As hormones rise and fall within the cycle, so do different mental states.

The Cycle Day-by-Day

Stage One: Menstruation: Winter

Cycle Days 1-5: Day one of your cycle is the first day you see red blood. Your reproductive hormones are at low ebb: Progesterone has dropped off from your last cycle and estrogen levels are still to rise. The 'old' uterine lining is shed.

Cycle Days 6-8: The cool phase of your cycle is dominated by the hormone estrogen. However, before estrogen can be produced, the brain and body relay a set of sophisticated hormonal messages to get your body on the path to ovulation.

1) The hypothalamus facilitates the secretion of gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH), which in turn nudges the pituitary gland to produce FSH - or follicle stimulating hormone. The follicle is the body that holds and nurtures an egg.
    2) The pituitary gland also produces LH (or luteinizing hormone). FSH and LH facilitate the maturation off eggs and follicle.
    3) As the eggs develop, they in turn produce estrogen!

Physical aspect:
    Your body will likely be in its "cool phase" with temperature low.
    Cervix: closed.
    Mucus: During the early part of the cycle, after day 5, there may be very little cervical mucus. As estrogen promotes mucus production, through cycle days 6-8, you may begin to observe more cervical mucus (though it will be opaque, sticky, and white/yellowish in colour).

Emotional and Mental aspect: Reflective.

Stage two: Pre-Ovulation: Spring

Cycle Days 8-11: As the eggs mature, estrogen production should now be at full speed! Estrogen supports the build-up of the endometrium (the lining of the womb), preparing your uterus for pregnancy.

Cycle Days 11-13: If you have a 28-day cycle, you're getting close to ovulation and are just entering your fertile window. Estrogen levels are high. You should start to see stronger "ferning patterns" in your ovulation microscope. At this point of the month, your fertility level is "high", even though ovulation may be more than a few days off. The reason you can still get pregnant is because sperm, under optimal conditions (fertile CM), can survive a handful of days in a woman's body.

The hormone that causes ovulation is called LH, or luteinizing hormone.

Physical aspect:
    Temperature: As estrogen is still the dominant hormone, your body temperature will remain low.
    Cervix:
    Mucus: after the period, a woman will normally experience several “dry” days. The cervical fluid samples she takes with toilet tissue or a clean finger from just inside her vagina will not feel slippery or textured. The increase in estrogen should effectuate observable tactile changes in the cervical mucus. The cervical fluid will build up, beginning with a moist sensation and/or a tacky or creamy texture. Any mucus or moist sensation at the vulva after the period signals that the fertile phase has begun. Cervical mucus (CM) will start to become clear, stretchy, and slippery - and there will be more of it!

Emotional and Mental aspect: Creative.

Stage Three: Ovulation: Summer

Cycle Days 13-14: The estrogen levels are at their highest, which ultimately precipitates a boost in the hormone LH. This LH surge actually causes ovulation, the emergence of the egg from the ovarian follicle. By day 14, ovulation is about to - or already - taking place! You are at peak fertility. Some women experience midcycle pains, or ovulation pain, or "mittelschmerz". These are physical symptoms that ovulation may be taking place.

Cycle Days 14-15: Ovulation has just taken place! With ovulation, estrogen levels drop sharply and your body moves from the cool phase to the hot phase (the luteal phase where progesterone calls the shots). After the egg emerges from the follicle, the follicle becomes a "corpus luteum" and starts producing progesterone - and your body starts to warm up. A few days before your period, if you are not pregnant, the corpus luteum will exhaust itself and progesterone levels will drop.

Physical aspect:
    Temperature: The day of ovulation, your basal temperature will remain lower. Within 24 hours, you can confirm that ovulation has taken place by seeing your basal body temperature rise (a bbt increase of typically 4/10ths to a full degree). The temperature rise should last through most of the remainder of your cycle.
    Cervix: Open and soft.
    Mucus: cervical fluid tends to become slippery and clear—like raw egg white. The last day of this stretchy cervical fluid or wet sen- sation is called the peak day and signals that ovulation is imminent.
    Blood sugar levels are higher and more stable during the fertile time.

Emotional and Mental aspect: Extroverted.

Stage Four: Pre-Menstruation: Autumn

Cycle Days 16-22: The corpus luteum continues to produce progesterone through the second half of your menstrual cycle (the luteal phase). If the egg is fertilized, it begin the trip to the womb to implant.

Cycle Days 23-27: Unless you become pregnant, the corpus luteum will begin to falter. If there is a pregnancy, the developing placenta will "tell" your body to keep pumping out the progesterone. That's because once the embryo implants, it produces a special hormone called hCG. It's the same hormone that your common home pregnancy test looks for.

Cycle Days 28: If you have a 28 days cycle, this will be your last cycle day. Both estrogen and progesterone levels are low.

Physical aspect:
    Temperature: Basal body temperature remains high. About a week after ovulation, progesterone levels are peaking as are your bbt temps. If pregnant, your bbt temps will stay high. If not, the basal temperature will begin to drop at the end of your cycle.
    Cervix:
    Mucus: A few days after ovulation, the amount of cervical mucus should decrease and you will see it become more cloudy, opaque. It will increasingly become more sticky.
    Blood sugar is lowest during the pre-menstrual infertile time.

Emotional and Mental aspect:Critical (of self and / or of others).

Link with Moon:

Again, this sounds like hocus pocus, but there's a growing body of people who believe that a woman's mentrual cycle is supposed to sync with the moon (full moon – signals ovulation; new moon – menstruation). When it does fertility is supposed increased and menstrual symptoms are reduced: http://www.cheeseslave.com/lunacepti...e-you-fertile/

To sync your cycle with the moon:

Sleep in complete darkness. This means covering up alarm clocks and windows that allow in any artificial light. Absolute darkness is best, but if you live in an area where there are no outside lights (in the boonies) you don’t have to be as picky about covering the windows. If you often get up at night to use the restroom, place dim nightlights in the hallway and bathroom and refrain from turning on overhead lights.

The day before the full moon, allow a small amount of light into the room. Natural moon light through a window is best, otherwise try and find a very white, yet dim nightlight for your room.

Three days later, go back to sleeping in complete darkness until the next full moon. It's recommended that you sleep in a completely blacked-out room for the entire month, bar three days.

I'm not going to try Lunaception just yet (charting is enough for me right now ) but if you fancy giving it a go, report back here!

-------------

Useful links:

http://www.naturalfertilityandwellne...d-lunaception/
    http://www.gardenoffertility.com/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread22423.html
    http://paleohacks.com/questions/8117...#axzz2gaWtCjHo
    cervical-changes-throughout-the-menstrual-cycle
    Last edited by YogaBare; 10-02-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Hey YB, great post and thread! I'm going through menopause and am now taking 100 mg progesterone (along with thyroid meds).
    I'm feeling more even tempered and the hot flashes seem to be diminishing but I still don't have a whole lot of energy. My doc said it could easily take a year before everything is back in balance.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to begin tracking using an app.

Great thread, YB! <3

I'm a hormonal wreck, as you know. I'm not producing progesterone. My only progesterone supplement is currently Progest-e which I have not taken consistently, but plan to.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

andreoilin is offline Member
    Great topic. This has been on my mind recently.

I've always been very regular (29 days on the dot, with the only forewarnings being chest tenderness for a week beforehand and a monstrous appetite for two days beforehand), menstruation would last three days, with a fourth of sort of...light, spotty-ness, and then done. No serious PMS or cramps or anything of that sort. Always felt very lucky.

But earlier this summer a month was skipped. I had very rough month with some things going on in life and lost about 10 lbs, so I didn't think much of it. Then I had a normal bout. Then three months were skipped! Very unusual. When it returned, I had my normal ravenous appetite, cramps the first day, but no chest tenderness, and bleeding seemed lighter than usual. All bloodwork / exams merited nothing alarming or unusual, so it's been chalked up to high stress (which makes sense, considering things going on at the time, but still.)

Since that last one, which was 11 October, I've been much more diligent about proper eating, started taking D3 supplements, being very conscientious about stress management, and am waiting to see how this month goes. I've never had anything unusual like those three missed months before / never taken birth control / never had any hormonal irregularities / no STIs, and that irregularity is all new to me. I'm also now keeping daily track of moods / eating / energy for the sake of seeing how everything is interrelated.

Folks, keep checking the second post: I'm editing it to include more info and make it more succinct

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Hey YB, great post and thread! I'm going through menopause and am now taking 100 mg progesterone (along with thyroid meds).
    I'm feeling more even tempered and the hot flashes seem to be diminishing but I still don't have a whole lot of energy. My doc said it could easily take a year before everything is back in balance.
    I'm glad you think so! I just feel like I'm stabbing in the dark with a lot of this, and it would be great to talk to others about it.

This thread might be useful to you UF: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread22423.html

You know I'm not a fan of low carb so I don't agree with all of it, but there's some good info on there for menopausal women.

Also, this: Anyone have estrogen dominance and sorted it out? - Paleohacks

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I'm going to begin tracking using an app.

Great thread, YB! <3

I'm a hormonal wreck, as you know. I'm not producing progesterone. My only progesterone supplement is currently Progest-e which I have not taken consistently, but plan to.
    I tried to cycle Progest-e this month during my luteal phase, as apparently that makes it more effective. Today I had the most extreme oestrogen surge I've had in months. I literally look pregnant, had the blackest mood with a near panic attack etc. etc. I think I'm still too unstable to cycle the progesterone. Bottom line: you need to be consistent!!! <3

- Ray Peat

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I'm excited about this thread!

Wish they'd implement some new subforums, like health, diet variations, etc.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Thanks YB that thread looks really interesting.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    My hormones are out of whack, but my cycle (thanks iPhone app!) is exactly on point, in regards to timing anyway. Very very light flow though. I was on the pill for about 6 years before finally stopping a few months ago. So far, the only change since then is the reintroduction of cramps on day 1.

Also was given Progesterone cream to supplement with; I've only done it for about 2 weeks so far. (Off this week). I haven't noticed any difference, but I'm not sure what I should be noticing!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bear with me guys, still working on the mother post I'm so glad I started this thread actually - it's forcing me to learn, ha

Quote Originally Posted by andreoilin View Post
    Great topic. This has been on my mind recently.

I've always been very regular (29 days on the dot, with the only forewarnings being chest tenderness for a week beforehand and a monstrous appetite for two days beforehand), menstruation would last three days, with a fourth of sort of...light, spotty-ness, and then done. No serious PMS or cramps or anything of that sort. Always felt very lucky.

But earlier this summer a month was skipped. I had very rough month with some things going on in life and lost about 10 lbs, so I didn't think much of it. Then I had a normal bout. Then three months were skipped! Very unusual. When it returned, I had my normal ravenous appetite, cramps the first day, but no chest tenderness, and bleeding seemed lighter than usual. All bloodwork / exams merited nothing alarming or unusual, so it's been chalked up to high stress (which makes sense, considering things going on at the time, but still.)

Since that last one, which was 11 October, I've been much more diligent about proper eating, started taking D3 supplements, being very conscientious about stress management, and am waiting to see how this month goes. I've never had anything unusual like those three missed months before / never taken birth control / never had any hormonal irregularities / no STIs, and that irregularity is all new to me. I'm also now keeping daily track of moods / eating / energy for the sake of seeing how everything is interrelated.
    It sounds to me like you're fortunate and that your missed periods were due to weight loss (and hormonal fluxes) rather than chronic hormonal imbalances Btw, I've lurked in your journal and want to say Heeey! I'm Irish too

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I'm excited about this thread!

Wish they'd implement some new subforums, like health, diet variations, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Thanks YB that thread looks really interesting.
    Really glad! Hope there's some good info on there for you. It's a pity Dragonfly and Zoebird don't post as much these days: they know A LOT about all this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    My hormones are out of whack, but my cycle (thanks iPhone app!) is exactly on point, in regards to timing anyway. Very very light flow though. I was on the pill for about 6 years before finally stopping a few months ago. So far, the only change since then is the reintroduction of cramps on day 1.

Also was given Progesterone cream to supplement with; I've only done it for about 2 weeks so far. (Off this week). I haven't noticed any difference, but I'm not sure what I should be noticing!
    What I've learned through this is that the timing of the cycle is not all that matters: it's worth observing all the other variables, like body temp, cervix, cervical fluid etc, to see if you are in good health and that hormones are working as they should be.

What cream are you using? Most of them are shit tbh Do you have low progesterone?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 10-02-2013 at 05:12 PM.

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast