Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Female hormone troubleshooting / menstrual tracking page 7

zinnia is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Hello again ladies. My period is still missing, and I'm kind of freaking out. (I am not pregnant.)

I've been paleo, moderately LC with occasional bouts of VLC, for over a year now, and never had any problem with my periods. Then in August, I started working with a personal trainer. I do a cardio warmup and then about 40 minutes of strength training 2x per week. No other formal exercise but I do walk and bike a fair amount for transportation. Anyway, my August period was lighter and shorter than normal, and it has gone completely MIA since then. I'm 5'2" and about 120 lbs and have a normal amount of body fat (probably around 23-24%).

I'm trying not to stress about it, but I am, which I think is making the situation worse. The thing is, I really need to get my period back as soon as possible. I'm trying to get an IUD inserted before my health insurance runs out at the end of the year, but the doctor won't do it unless I'm on my period.

So, what do I do? Vastly up the carbs? Quit working out? I don't really want to do either of these things since - missing period aside - I'm physically feeling and looking pretty darn good, and I'm getting ready for my wedding. Diet and exercise changes aside, are there any vitamins, supplements, or any other remedies for restoring your menstrual cycle? I am willing to consider anything!!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I've read that making a parsley tea can help restore a missing period. I think adding in some carbs might help, but obviously you'll have to try it to see. It doesn't sound like you are working out too much.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

abraka8 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I've read that making a parsley tea can help restore a missing period. I think adding in some carbs might help, but obviously you'll have to try it to see. It doesn't sound like you are working out too much.
    I have tried the parsley tea before a few times with good success. Simply steep a bunch of fresh, clean parsley in a tea pot and drink it. You can use dried to, but use less as it is more potent- maybe a couple tablespoons for a pot. After doing this, my period came the next morning. Sometimes, your cycle can get out of whack due to stress, a trip, or whatever. I think the parsley tea is a good natural remedy to know.

zinnia is offline Member
    Thanks, namelesswonder and abraka8. I just brewed up and drank some parsley tea. It wasn't bad, but I'm not sure I made it strong enough. I hope I can post with some good results soon!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    hi Zinna,

SOrry, I'm late to the party with this... have you had your hormones checked? Supplemental progesterone might help!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Spheni is offline Member
    Very cool thread! I have PCOS and have always had irregular cycles. When I started primal I was LC (under 100) and didn't ovulate until I tried upping my carb intake by eating potatoes again. It worked fast. I ovulated after 2 weeks of increased carbs. I'm really hoping things level out for me now. I'm hoping to get pregnant this year (first time) and would love to do it without fertility meds.

zinnia is offline Member
    Success!! After three days of drinking parsley tea and taking vitamin C (another method I read about online), and a serious uptick in carbs (probably too much...), I finally got my period. It came on Day 67, or about 40 days late. I was almost certain that I had ovulated because I was experiencing all the usual symptoms (changes in cervical mucus, ovulatory cramping), but for some reason the flow just wouldn't come. So now that that's happened, I'm hoping my body has "reset" itself and that I won't have problems moving forward. Ladies, thanks for your help and encouragement.

Next up, scheduling an IUD insertion for this week! I'm getting a copper IUD so that there shouldn't be any interference with my hormones. I'll continue to follow along with this thread.

abraka8 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zinnia View Post
    Success!! After three days of drinking parsley tea and taking vitamin C (another method I read about online), and a serious uptick in carbs (probably too much...), I finally got my period. It came on Day 67, or about 40 days late. I was almost certain that I had ovulated because I was experiencing all the usual symptoms (changes in cervical mucus, ovulatory cramping), but for some reason the flow just wouldn't come. So now that that's happened, I'm hoping my body has "reset" itself and that I won't have problems moving forward. Ladies, thanks for your help and encouragement.

Next up, scheduling an IUD insertion for this week! I'm getting a copper IUD so that there shouldn't be any interference with my hormones. I'll continue to follow along with this thread.
    Glad to hear that worked out. And good luck with the IUD.

sidewinder is offline Member
    Just an FYI on the IUD...

After I got mine, I gained a stubborn 10ish pounds that I just couldn't seem to shake. After about 8 months it came off just as easily as I'd put it on. So you may find there's an adjustment period even though it's hormone-free. Other than that, I love mine! I'm willing to endure a little bit heavier/more painful period (which also leveled off after 8 months) if it means I can have hormone free birth control that I don't need to think about.

ETA: typo

dazygyrl is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    if this question is way too off topic, then disregard.

i was wondering if any of you ladies have found the secret to maintaining that high level of libido experienced during ovulation all month long?? my hubby always says he wishes i knew what it was like to be a guy….and i tell him, SO DO I!!! i can literally feel my desire fade as my hormones change after ovulation and i hate it. it's like i am totally aware it's happening but feel like i can't do anything about it. i don't deny hubby, but it's not nearly as fun for me, kwim?? and i hate feeling that way.

so if any of you have a magic trick for this, please share!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast