Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Female hormone troubleshooting / menstrual tracking page 6

Lisasaurus is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm sorry - I didn't mean your meds! I was talking about the fish oils, iron and 5HTP specifically. The research I've done into those supplements has given me views different to the norm. I wouldn't take them personally, but I wasn't sure if I should go into it here.
    Oh ok. Like I said I'm very sensitive these days, so even tho you didn't need to apologize, I do appreciate it!
    What's the latest on fish oil? I thought it was still considered a miracle for combatting inflammation and a super food for the brain? I don't love paying so much for it, that's for sure. I've never noticed a difference while taking it. But I've been told that fish oil, d, probiotics and b supps should be something I'm taking for life.

m
    Im trying to get over my fear of liver so I can get some more natural iron. I don't anticipate taking the iron forever. But we still haven't pinpointed why I'm deficient to begin with. I had some clear malabsorption issues over the summer which have gotten better sloooowly....

Anyway thanks again for your response.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about it, honestly I'm sorry I caused you any upset.

I've observed there's a strong link between hormonal imbalances, low Vit D, and low ferritin / iron. I don't understand the connection yet, but I think it's my case my low ferritin is due to low progesterone: progesterone is needed for iron absorption.

Could you simply try eating more beef? Or, some people freeze chopped liver and take it as pills! That would be infinitely better than an iron sup.

There's emerging research that fish oil isn't as healthy as once thought. The reason it reduces inflammation is because it suppresses the immune system. The reduction in inflammation makes people feel better almost instantly, but in the long term the oil can make you much sicker.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Mommyto4 is offline Junior Member
    I've been having serious hormonal issues since giving birth almost 12 months ago. I started going primal a couple of months ago, which helped my moods a LOT, but I was still having PMS. Someone on here recommended taking magnesium. So now whenever I start getting hot flashes and mood swings, I mix up some Natural Calm, a magnesium supplement that you add to water (I bought it on amazon). It really has been making a big difference--I always seem to feel better within a few minutes of drinking it.

I've also been eating extra dark chocolate during my PMS week--yum!

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    My period came today.

I'm shocked. My daughter is 28 months old and nurses around the clock still (3-5x a night), and it's been over 3 years since I had a period.

The biggest change was my diet-- the past month was above 300g carbs, the past week, hitting 400g and over.

Is it really the diet????? And to think I went low carb Primal back in 2012 to regain fertility......

Loka is offline Senior Member
    Hi hi, I'm so glad to discover this thread! Cos I've not had my period since May 2012....and I think I'm too young to be menopausal? I'm only 35! I've tried to induce it with hormonal pills earlier this year from the doctor but it didn't worked. Never did any other tests after that cos I felt it was much more convenient to run (I enjoying running By the way ) without my period.....

Was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether starting this primal diet will help with my issue? Would be great if it could cos I really don't like the idea of using medication

Thanks for for any advice! Cheers!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loka View Post
    Hi hi, I'm so glad to discover this thread! Cos I've not had my period since May 2012....and I think I'm too young to be menopausal? I'm only 35! I've tried to induce it with hormonal pills earlier this year from the doctor but it didn't worked. Never did any other tests after that cos I felt it was much more convenient to run (I enjoying running By the way ) without my period.....

Was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether starting this primal diet will help with my issue? Would be great if it could cos I really don't like the idea of using medication

Thanks for for any advice! Cheers!
    It depends what you mean by "primal" If you interpret Primal to mean LCHF, then no - I dont believe it will help your fertility. LC is okay for some men, and post menopausal women. Women who are in the fertile phase of their lives need carbs.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It depends what you mean by "primal" If you interpret Primal to mean LCHF, then no - I dont believe it will help your fertility. LC is okay for some men, and post menopausal women. Women who are in the fertile phase of their lives need carbs.
    Not trying to be confrontational but LC for women with certain hormonal issues like PCOS can restore fertility. I know of many of my friends, both on line and in the real world who have become pregnant because by eating low carb, they started to ovulate again. How low carb depends on the person as PCOS is a little different for every woman. Most women with PCOS have problems losing weight unless they are low carb (under 100 carbs) or very low carb (NK). I know that this forum has become very anti-LC but it has place.

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    Not trying to be confrontational but LC for women with certain hormonal issues like PCOS can restore fertility. I know of many of my friends, both on line and in the real world who have become pregnant because by eating low carb, they started to ovulate again. How low carb depends on the person as PCOS is a little different for every woman. Most women with PCOS have problems losing weight unless they are low carb (under 100 carbs) or very low carb (NK). I know that this forum has become very anti-LC but it has place.
    I just want to say this has been my experience. I went about 2 years with no periods, then about 2 years with constant periods. I mean Every. Single. Day. And heavy. I would go through a thick night time pad in about 15 minutes. i would cough or laugh and feel this woosh.. this emptying and sure enough even the chair I was sitting on would be drenched in blood. i cannot for the life of me understand how an organism can bleed such a copious amount of blood and still live?!!? But I did.

On top of all this I was getting cluster headaches. I would smack my head against a wall, crying, trying to distract myself from the pain. My Neurologist started giving me steroid shots to the back of my neck/base of my skull, which helped ease the pain a little. The only times I was able to actually sleep was when I took these painkillers my doc gave me that he said normally only terminally ill cancer patients take.

There were three major things I did that turned my life around:

1. I quit work. Work was a major source of stress, and in the end it was my doctor who urges me to quit, and so I did. Took over a year to let go off all that stress and tension. Once I quit the headaches eased incredibly.

2. I started eating low carb. Within a few days of cutting out carbs I could feel a difference in my body and the periods started to lessen. Still took about 4 months before it stopped being a continuous every day thing. I noticed though that if I had any sugar at all the period would start up again.

3. I began my spiritual adventure. I won't go into the details here, but it's closely tied to number 1. It was reducing stress, meditating, finding who i was and where I fit in with the universe. I was majorly into quantum physics when I was younger and it's amazing how closely the two are linked

For the last 8 months, my periods have been on time. They have lasted 3-4 days. They have been quite painful, but each one is less painful then the last. I can feel my body finding it's alignment, and I feel so happy when I think about it that I often tear up and then start kissing my hand and any other part of my body i can reach because i'm so happy with it.

But I do have a lot of weight to lose. I'm down 40kg and still have 100kg to lose. I have just started on a strict keto diet, which I will follow for some amount of months before taking a breather.

Sugar these days does not affect my cycles like it once did. I can have ice cream, or coconut water or starches and it doesn't affect my cycle. But I think it's because my body is starting to find its rhythm.

In the beginning though, I noticed for myself, my own experience, my n=1 that ANYTHING carby I ate caused that heavy clotted whoosh to kick in. But, that's been my experience, take from it what you will
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    My period came today.

I'm shocked. My daughter is 28 months old and nurses around the clock still (3-5x a night), and it's been over 3 years since I had a period.

The biggest change was my diet-- the past month was above 300g carbs, the past week, hitting 400g and over.

Is it really the diet????? And to think I went low carb Primal back in 2012 to regain fertility......
    Great news (I think, you were hoping for this, right?). Good sign of health and fertility.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Great news (I think, you were hoping for this, right?). Good sign of health and fertility.
    Yes, I'd been waiting 12 months, lol! Hope it continues *fingers crossed*

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast