Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Female hormone troubleshooting / menstrual tracking page 2

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great thread!

It's also worth absorbing the quality of the menstrual blood-- according to my TCM doctor, dark color and clots are abnormal.

Interestingly, the type of sanitary product you use can help with observations also. When I used a menstrual cup and cloth pads, I cramped less.

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    I have PCOS so I'm lucky IF I get my period.... a normal period that is.
    The few times before getting pregnant that I got a normal period on my own, I had some back aches that were solved by ibuprofin and that's it. My periods are usually painless.
    As for PMS, no mood swings, just usually oily skin, slight increase in acne sometimes, hunger shoots up, and I'm a bit more tired.
    After TTC for 3 years prior to getting pregnant, I'm very familiar with tracking my few and far between screwed up cycles... temping, using OPKs, checking CM, etc. Not a fan of CM checking, and I could never check the cervix position (stubby fingers :P). But temping and using OPKs is easy. Can't do temping anymore though b/c of my baby girl
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

zinnia is offline Member
    Ladies, I need your help, or maybe just your reassurance.

My period is over a week late - and no, there's no chance I'm pregnant. It's my first full cycle since I started 2x week strength training and 3-4x week IFing (basically just skipping breakfast) a little over a month ago. Other than that, not much else has changed. I eat 90% primally, moderately low carb, and at least 1500 calories a day. The workouts are hard, for sure, but I think I'm getting adequate rest in between. I feel pretty good.

I guess I should add that I'm 5'2" and about 120 lbs, so I really don't think it's an issue of low body fat-induced amenorrhea. My periods are quite regular, anywhere from every 25-30 days but usually falling in the 27-29 day range and lasting about 5-6 days (3-4 days bleeding, then a few days spotting). I could've sworn that I was PMSing last week, mainly because I was moody and craving sweets :P But my period hasn't come yet.

I'd like to lose this last little bit of body fat and get more toned, but I am terrified that I am somehow royally wonking up my hormones. The later my period is, the more I stress out about it, which I'm sure is not helping.

So I guess what I'm asking is, should I be worried at this point? Or is it just my body taking a while to adjust to a new routine?

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaLS View Post
    I have PCOS so I'm lucky IF I get my period.... a normal period that is.
    The few times before getting pregnant that I got a normal period on my own, I had some back aches that were solved by ibuprofin and that's it. My periods are usually painless.
    As for PMS, no mood swings, just usually oily skin, slight increase in acne sometimes, hunger shoots up, and I'm a bit more tired.
    After TTC for 3 years prior to getting pregnant, I'm very familiar with tracking my few and far between screwed up cycles... temping, using OPKs, checking CM, etc. Not a fan of CM checking, and I could never check the cervix position (stubby fingers :P). But temping and using OPKs is easy. Can't do temping anymore though b/c of my baby girl
    Hi LisaLS, did you get post-partum period already?

I also had PCOS prior to conceiving my daughter and also want to try for #2 soon.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    zinnia, I have not lost my period when lifting, but I was on the bcp the whole time. But once I stopped bcp, my periods stopped. The first month I felt very stressed, but now that I am in the 3rd month without a period I kindda just stopped caring. I hope you will feel less stressed about it as well.

YB, yours was a very interesting post!

I seem to experience the period-like symptoms at the beginning of each month (weight gain, cramps, acne) but no blood flow. I am not sure if I am peri-meno, or its just taking long for the body to work its ways out without the synthetic hormones.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zinnia View Post

My period is over a week late - and no, there's no chance I'm pregnant. It's my first full cycle since I started 2x week strength training and 3-4x week IFing (basically just skipping breakfast) a little over a month ago. Other than that, not much else has changed. I eat 90% primally, moderately low carb, and at least 1500 calories a day. The workouts are hard, for sure, but I think I'm getting adequate rest in between. I feel pretty good.

I guess I should add that I'm 5'2" and about 120 lbs, so I really don't think it's an issue of low body fat-induced amenorrhea. My periods are quite regular, anywhere from every 25-30 days but usually falling in the 27-29 day range and lasting about 5-6 days (3-4 days bleeding, then a few days spotting). I could've sworn that I was PMSing last week, mainly because I was moody and craving sweets :P But my period hasn't come yet.

I'd like to lose this last little bit of body fat and get more toned, but I am terrified that I am somehow royally wonking up my hormones. The later my period is, the more I stress out about it, which I'm sure is not helping.

So I guess what I'm asking is, should I be worried at this point? Or is it just my body taking a while to adjust to a new routine?
    Hey Zinnia

Everything we do effects our hormones. A big lifestyle change for sure will cause a shift, but it may not be a bad thing. Provided you're not starving yourself or overexercising. Give it a few weeks and see what happens - one late or even missed period isn't a cause for concern I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    zinnia, I have not lost my period when lifting, but I was on the bcp the whole time. But once I stopped bcp, my periods stopped. The first month I felt very stressed, but now that I am in the 3rd month without a period I kindda just stopped caring. I hope you will feel less stressed about it as well.

YB, yours was a very interesting post!

I seem to experience the period-like symptoms at the beginning of each month (weight gain, cramps, acne) but no blood flow. I am not sure if I am peri-meno, or its just taking long for the body to work its ways out without the synthetic hormones.
    Glad you enjoyed it

It's really hard to say without blood testing... I really wish that there was a little device (like a blood sugar tester) that you could use to test hormones on a daily basis
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Hey YB,
    It's so weird that you created this thread at a time when I've just begun trying to balance out my hormones and my daughters.

Very good info!

Have you looked in any of the research/books by John Lee, MD? He seems to know quite a bit about estrogen dominance.

We've been using progestelle (Progesterone Cream Oil SPECIALTY Progestelle PRESERVATIVE FREE - Women's Therape) since Sept. 25th so it's only been 1 week. I've already done most of what's recommended for eliminating the xenoestrogens we had in the house but it's not easy.

I'm hoping this is the answer to the PMS symptoms that we both seem to have and to let the men in the house not have to suffer through it too.

Looking forward to everybody's input, experience and knowledge.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Hey YB,
    It's so weird that you created this thread at a time when I've just begun trying to balance out my hormones and my daughters.

Very good info!

Have you looked in any of the research/books by John Lee, MD? He seems to know quite a bit about estrogen dominance.

We've been using progestelle (Progesterone Cream Oil SPECIALTY Progestelle PRESERVATIVE FREE - Women's Therape) since Sept. 25th so it's only been 1 week. I've already done most of what's recommended for eliminating the xenoestrogens we had in the house but it's not easy.

I'm hoping this is the answer to the PMS symptoms that we both seem to have and to let the men in the house not have to suffer through it too.

Looking forward to everybody's input, experience and knowledge.
    Hey Aurora

Yes, I know John Lee's stuff! He was a huge supporter of Ray Peat, and coined the term "Oestrogen Dominance" after researching Peat's work. He was regarded as the pioneering researcher in thyroid health in Oz.

Why are you trying to balance your hormones? Do you have symptoms? Have you had blood tests done?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Aurora

Yes, I know John Lee's stuff! He was a huge supporter of Ray Peat, and coined the term "Oestrogen Dominance" after researching Peat's work. He was regarded as the pioneering researcher in thyroid health in Oz.

Why are you trying to balance your hormones? Do you have symptoms? Have you had blood tests done?
    No blood testing needed when symptoms are so blatant. Plus, from what I've read, blood testing can still show normal levels even when everything is not balanced.

Let's see... DD - migraines to numerous to count, extreme cramping, heavy flow, extreme mood swings, can't get enough sleep
    Me - (all in the week or so before period would start) raging, irrational witch, bloating, can't get enough chocolate/sugar

I had a hysterectomy earlier this year but they left one ovary. I thought that maybe my PMS (which has gotten much worse w/ age) would lessen considerably, but it has not.
    My daughter has really cleaned-up her diet but still is having issues. She just won't totally give up some of the xenoestrogens. I'm workin' on her as much as I can.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

zinnia is offline Member
    Thanks, Leida and YogaBare. I'm going to give my body a few more weeks to adjust and try not to panic in the meantime. I just think properly functioning hormones are so, so important and I don't want to screw them up.

I'll be following this thread with keen interest. Thanks for starting it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast