Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fed's Shut Down Silk Road page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Fed's Shut Down Silk Road

Primal Fuel
    Feds Arrest Alleged 'Dread Pirate Roberts', the Brain Behind the Silk Road Drug Site | Threat Level | Wired.com

A web site, rather like E-Bay except that they sold anything and everything. The Fed's asked ebay to stop selling guns and drugs, but they didn't ask Silk Road. Instead they seized then, shut then down, and arrested the entrepreneur. Why you might ask? Because ebay uses Fed Dollard or cards or Fed Banks, but Silk Road uses bitcoins and that is completely unacceptable to the Fed's. We absolutely can't let people barter with goods of real value, absolutely not. The Fed. Gov't would loose money that way; further they can't track and keep records of bitcoins. A horrible situation, it makes them afraid of the people, whatever are they doing. No, NO. The sheeple must be afraid of the Fed's.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    [
    A web site, rather like E-Bay except that they sold anything and everything. The Fed's asked ebay to stop selling guns and drugs, but they didn't ask Silk Road. Instead they seized then, shut then down, and arrested the entrepreneur. Why you might ask? Because ebay uses Fed Dollard or cards or Fed Banks, but Silk Road uses bitcoins and that is completely unacceptable to the Fed's. We absolutely can't let people barter with goods of real value, absolutely not. The Fed. Gov't would loose money that way; further they can't track and keep records of bitcoins. A horrible situation, it makes them afraid of the people, whatever are they doing. No, NO. The sheeple must be afraid of the Fed's.
    Golly. I've no idea what this is about.

I saw the words "Silk Road" and thought it must be referring to the ancient route from the Far East through the Taklamakan (means Go-in-and-you-might-not-come-out) desert and so on ... the "golden road to Samarkand", as Flecker's poem had it ...

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
    Always a little further: it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow,
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea, ...

We travel not for trafficking alone;
    By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned:
    For lust of knowing what should not be known
    We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand. ...
    This venture sounds rather like it might actually be for "trafficking alone" however ... LOL

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Good. Let's get those internet-minded criminal plotters on the fuckin street and among the people and away from their computer.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    No surprise.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    When I first heard of Silk Road using bitcoin I knew it was just a matter of time before the Feds shut them down.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    With all due respect, if our way out of essentially made-up currency (the Fed) is to invent and widely use a TRULY digital and made-up currency, we are in even more trouble than I thought....

But no, not surprising.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Enjoyed your link j3nn.....it reminds me of the dynamics of wikileaks.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    http://krebsonsecurity.com/wp-conten...lComplaint.pdf

So here is the short version of that:

Advertised Silk Road days after it’s launch on drug forums and bitcointalk.org with the user name “altoid”. 8 months later he used this user name looking for developers and included his personal email (rossulbricht@gmail.com) in the message.

Using records from a seized web server, the FBI agent subpoena'd it's way back through a private VPN server to an IP address at a coffee shop on Laguna street in San Francisco. This happened to be 500 feet away from the house of one on Ross Ulbricht’s friends.

US Customs intercepted a package containing 9 pieces of counterfeit id. All 9 had photos of Ross Ulbricht with different names.

Ulbricht posted on Stack Overflow using his real name, asking “How can I connect to a Tor hidden service using curl in php?”. One minute later he changed his user name to “frosty” "i know i laughed to", but a subpoena shows the original name.

And just in case you are wondering how dumb some people can be to leaving a bread crumb trail..Very dumb.

https://plus.google.com/101844174649242995101

How can I connect to a Tor hidden service using curl in php? - Stack Overflow

various security researchers are now questioning the TOR network.

The issue is that there is a substantial time period between him making OPSEC failures "8 months" and them grabbing the servers. Thus, there is the probability of NSA/Some government agency actually haven broken Tor, found the server "which they skip over in the record" and then traced him from there.

Then, an alternative way of getting there (backwards) is constructed that looks plausible.

Also, the Canadian border official routine seizure of his fake ID's? Yeah, the chances of that happening are 0 percent. So this is the big question, How did they get the location of the server?

The indictment just says "we found this server" which is the crux of the problem. From the SR server "which they made an image copy" they found a hard coded IP address "to protect against hacks" which was the only IP address that could log in. This VPN was subpoena'd, which led to him.

So, how did they get the server? Again, point to the "routine intercept" of his fake ID's. That's just a cover up to give some sort of reasonable start to an investigation against him instead of giving away the leak against hidden services.

That investigative report is a load of crap and was assembled together after the fact to make it seem like there was real legal police work going on. The idea that they'd just happen to find fake IDs from people who know how to properly ship them and make them for living is absurd. It is called Evidence Laundering and the DEA has been caught doing in in the past in other tech related cases.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-efforts.shtml

I think it is reasonable to assume that with this catch, combined with the takedown of FH earlier, that the NSA has broken TOR hidden services. This whole case reeks of shills and seems to be an underhanded excuse to get rid of the privacy it once offered.
    nihil

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm happy to see that a number of people here understand the humor and irony of the Fed's actions.

Forbes magazine last month ran a feature on the Silk Road site and it's owner which drew a lot of attention. Silk Road was the only one of the new sites of this type which used bitcoins. Bitcoin started life 6-7 years ago in which 1 coin represented a specific portion of a 1 ounce gold coin. A unreported and 'large' number of gold coins had been purchased by the group of entrepreneurs and housed in a vault on a island in the English Channel. The hope was that an increasing number of people would do their business using bitcoins.

I don't know how, why, or when bitcoin changed from being gold backed to being backed by an algorithm, or when the owners changed. Does anyone know that story?

The value of a share in the bitcoin company started quite low and rose to several hundred dollars. I suppose now it's very low again.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast