Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I lose weight if I UP my carbs? page

sparklylikeaholiday is offline Junior Member

Will I lose weight if I UP my carbs?

Shop Now
    Hi there!

I know that paleo/primal is not a low carb diet... But I was SUCH a high carb eater, that just cutting out grains alone plummeted me into a low carb state. (not much of a fruit eater). I've been tracking my food and I've been eating between 50-100 carbs daily and my ratio's have been about 55% fat, 20% carbs, 25% protein - give or take.

It's been a few weeks and I am just outright EXHAUSTED! I can't even explain how tired I feel. And I thought I'd "push through" thinking my body was undergoing a shock of switching from burning sugar to burning fat. But after a few weeks, I have only lost 1 pound and my hair is now starting to fall out in clumps!

Upon researching, it appears that dropping my carbs that low, that fast will hinder my T3 levels and make my metabolism plummet -- and think that's what happened with me.

But then other things I read, say if I raise my carbs over 100, I will hinder my weight loss. (Which I think is already hindered by my thyroid/metabolism).

I know that raising my carbs (maybe adding an apple or two?) will probably help my fatigue. But will I still lose weight? Or will I just maintain.

I think I've cut my calories a little too much too - but not purposefully... I came from a high carb, low protein, low fat diet and so eating all that fat is very very filling... so the hunger just hasn't been there. And my calories have been ranging from 1000-1300. (I'm 5'2" female). (My original plan was to eat between 1300-1600).

Anyway, sorry this turned into a book. Any insight would be wonderful! Thanks so much!

Sparkly

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    If your hair is falling out so quickly from changing your diet, it was either too drastic a change or you have something else going on (such as thyroid issues). Do you have any known medical issues?

You never know if you don't try. I would say absolutely eat more and eat more carbs.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 Guest
    I don't see how 30g of carbs and 140 calories a day (approx 2 apples) is going to damage your weight loss. I also do not think you magically lose weight at 99g of carbs and gain weight at 101g. Eat an apple or two. Eat a sweet potato. See how you feel doing so for a week or two.

namelesswonder - yes, I have an autoimmune disease (which is why I started paleo) - (ankylosing spondylitis). I know it's only been a few weeks, but dropping from a severely high carb diet to a relatively low carb diet has been the only major change I have made and I wasn't this exhausted (nor was my hair falling out) before.

canio - LOL - well, yes... you are right, I do know that at 99 grams = weight loss while 101 grams = gain is silly... But there's so much conflicting information out there and I'm totally new to this (former vegan). When you read posts about people who complain they aren't losing weight, the response is almost always "How many carbs are you eating?"

I did bring an extra apple with me to snack on later. I don't like sweet potatoes, but I can definitely add more fruit to my diet and see how I feel.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklylikeaholiday View Post
    canio - LOL - well, yes... you are right, I do know that at 99 grams = weight loss while 101 grams = gain is silly... But there's so much conflicting information out there and I'm totally new to this (former vegan). When you read posts about people who complain they aren't losing weight, the response is almost always "How many carbs are you eating?"

I did bring an extra apple with me to snack on later. I don't like sweet potatoes, but I can definitely add more fruit to my diet and see how I feel.
    Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you were being silly, but some do get caught up in the numbers. They do act as if they eat one more bite of apple they hit a tragic carb number and gain 10 pounds as if by the magic of the macro-fairy.

For me it seems to be more about balance. Some people (see the local peat folks) do much better on high carbs. Others (knifegill and paleobird) do much better on close to no carbs. I do better on an amount between those two groups. If I eat too much fruit or too much sugar I want to eat everything that isn't nailed down. If I cut carbs I get dizzy, light headed, and very irritable.

It is about finding the balance that works for you. If you are feeling like crap try increasing your carbs a little at a time and see how you feel. If you feel better (without making your autoimmune issues worse) keep doing it. You can be low carb compared to most of America while still eating more carbs than the average primal carnavore

Edit: I think many people who are not losing weight get asked about their carbs because for many extra carbs are a trigger to over eat. Also, some people say things like "I had a few nuts" when they mean "I ate 500 calories of nuts as a snack three times a day" Asking for more concrete amounts makes it easier to give suggestions.
    Last edited by canio6; 10-02-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    You have already gotten some great advice. Try adding 25 g of carb (1 apple) to your daily intake. If you feel better, then stay at that level. If not, add another 25 grams from another source (sweet potato). Just experiment until you find your best macro levels. This way of eating has to be livable for you.

Canio,

No worries, I wasn't offended at all... :-)

I don't want to be wrapped up in the numbers! I've never tracked my food before, so I think that I am trying to fine tune what works for me -- like you said, the balance. I want to feel good, but still lose weight.

In the end, my health will be all the better off - weight lost or not. Afterall, a couple pieces of fruit per day certainly beats the half loaf of bread I'd eat in the past!

I chuckled at the "few nuts" = 500 calories of nuts. LOL

Ultimately, my goal is to feel good, lose a few pounds and minimize the effects of my disease without having to take more medication. If the former and the latter happen without the middle - that's STILL better than what I was before! :-) But I do find the middle to be motivating! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    You have already gotten some great advice. Try adding 25 g of carb (1 apple) to your daily intake. If you feel better, then stay at that level. If not, add another 25 grams from another source (sweet potato). Just experiment until you find your best macro levels. This way of eating has to be livable for you.
    Thanks Pebbles! I agree... anyone's way of eating has to be livable... otherwise, they won't stick with it! (Well, I know I wouldn't, anyway!) :-)

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You are simply suffering low carb flu. Some people do lose their hair with a sudden change to a carb restricted diet. It does not mean that your metabolism has plummeted or anything like that. Other sudden changes can also make you lose hair temporarily. 50-100g of carbs isn't so low that you will cause damage to yourself. Give yourself a little time to adjust. Things you can do:

- get more sodium, potassium and magnesium in your diet.
    - eat an orange section or a sliver of apple if you are feeling weak or dizzy. Carry around a bag of slices so you can have one now and then.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I'm one of the ones that does better on higher carb -- and that means breaking the holy 100g carb limit. For me, it also means sliding towards the Peat side, as starchy carbs give me less results than fruity or sugary carbs. Aka, a bit like how I used to eat... I'm finally, finally losing the weight that I've gained back over the last year.

Some do well on low carb, some don't. You have to find what works for you, trial and error one thing for a few weeks. No one thing works perfectly for everyone.

I lost a lot of hair on low carb as well, just another n=1. I do have a (slow!) thyroid issue, fwiw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast