Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New kind of eating....for an athlete too!? page

runnerXtreme Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi there! Wow I can’t believe I found this—complements of a great friend and inspiration from RunnersWorld online forums.

I am a passionate runner, but due to health issues that have built up over the past couple years, have just recently found I need to eat low carb and all natural. As of right now the only carbs I can get are those in fresh vegetables [maximal], fruit [whole only], and beans in limited portions.

While I am willing to make these changes for the healing I so desperately need, I hate feeling like I have to give up my athlete lifestyle and eating for that. I feel like an invalid instead of an athlete.

Plus, I am just getting into peak training for my fall marathon! How the heck am I supposed to maximize what I get out of my training without bread and cereal—or even rice and whole wheat for a while here?!

Hence, it is so great to see that this kind of eating CAN be that of an athlete…even a marathoner!

I hope I can learn from you guys and find my own success—for life, for my running dreams.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad you made it.

The folks here are really great, and you'll get some fantastic advice. Not a lot of runners on here, but a lot of people who love health and food.

Ohhh... I just noticed you're right on time for the Primal Challenge!

And another thing- lol. You might find this one especially helpful.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...e-compromises/

runnerXtreme Guest

What's that?

I'm pretty bad at this so far...I thought I was hardcore and already still have more than overdone my carbs with fruit and beans alone! And yet I'm craving a "real" sweet BAD :-/

You'll get the hang of it. I'd drop the beans and stick to just fruits and veggies. Don't worry if you aren't 100% perfect. None of us are.

runnermom Guest

RunnerX,

I am two weeks out from a Half Ironman triathlon and then I have a Fall marathon where I am going for a Boston Qualifier.

I have read Paleo Diet for Athletes TWICE and have just received the Primal Blueprint. I have been trying to stay as Paleo/Primal as possible since about March.

The way that I think about it is some extra carbs around my hard workout (Endurox or Accelerade during long swim/bike/or run workout) with some oatmeal an hour before.

The rest of the day I 'TRY' (not always successful) to go with just lean meats, veggies/fruits, eggs, some almonds, protein shakes.

I have not been totally successful staying with this method, but I don't think it is because I needed more carbs, but because I have not totally been able to ditch the 43 years of bad habits that I developed.

I would like to hear from more runners or triathletes about their journey.

jessher is offline Junior Member

RunnerMom, I am curious if you have now read The Primal Blueprint. I also have read and followed The Paleo Diet For Athletes but what I think the missing link is, that is found in TPB, is fat. It can be extremely hard to follow Paleo if you stick to lean meats and limit fatty nuts or rely on lowfat/non fat dairy (not sure if youeat dairy).

Just curious if you made any adjustments to your diet since the last time you posted and how your training is going.

jbmarshtx Guest

There has been some good advice given. Time your carbs. Use a post workout recovery drink after your harder workouts (I use First Endruance Ultragen). 'IF' you have to eat carbs, I prefer to stick with potatoes (white or sweet) or rice. Again, this is not all the time. The majority of the time we try to keep with the primal/paleo/real food approach. No wheat or gluten products. But, the post about fat being key is a good one. The extra protein and fat will likely help keep you full longer and you'll find that you don't need as many carbs.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Hi RunnerXtreme,

Many on this forum probably tire of hearing this from me, but you don't need the carbs to run successfully. I am an ultrarunner that follows a strict primal diet. I ran a summer marathon on an extremely low carb diet and performed up to my pre-primal fitness levels. I have run ultras on primal diet with no ill effects. I am running a 100 mile trail race next Friday and haven't had a day over 50g of carbs in a long time. Granted, the longer the distance the more fat you're burning during the event so carbs may be even less important than a marathon.

Either way, I read so many threads about people feeling like they can't workout or run due to this type of diet. Completely false. I also do a lot of high intensity CrossFit inspired workouts with no ill effects. Sometimes it takes a little time for your body to adapt but you will, and you will be able to run just as well.

Good luck, keep us updated on how things progress!

nzkoobi Guest

What do you eat during your long runs Get Primal?

And good luck with that 100 miler!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast