Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New kind of eating....for an athlete too!? page 2

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Hi nzkoobi,

Looking forward to that article you're writing, just read about it on another thread. On long training runs, up to about 20-25 miles, I don't eat anything. Just water and electrolyte capsules if it's hot. For long races like this 100 miler I eat the pumpkin loaf recipe I posted here some time ago. You can also find it on my blog site by clicking on my name and going to the 'recipes' link on the right. Nothing has ever sat so well with my stomach during a race. I try to eat about 250-300 calories worth per hour. For fluids I drink only water, and depending on temperature I'll take 1-2 electrolyte capsules per hour.

Most likely this will be the last hoorah...less running and more primal workouts after this race.

nzkoobi Guest

I wanted to try the recipe - but how much pumpkin is a can?

It's about 300 grams of pumpkin, or about 3/4 of a 15oz can.

KXS
    KXS is offline Member

I looked for your recipe and could not find it? (the pumpkin loaf)

which 100 are you doing?

Daughter of Grok Guest

Get Primal- Awesome! I'm doing my first 100 miler this weekend also! I haven't had any problems eating primal and running long distances either. For running these long distances I run so slow that I don't think I ever enter sugar burning mode even. Really, I think when done right it is very "Grok-like" to occasionally go on a long trek of running and walking when you can't find food. Mark's experience as a runner seemed to be super speedy, whereas I'm always back of the pack with 14-15 min/mi averages, thus why I don't get sugar cravings probably. For my hundred miler this weekend, one of my main sources of fuel will be almond butter. I'm bringing a jar, and a spoon, simple, primal, and keeps me going with little digestion required. there will also be meat based foods supplied at the race, which i'll gladly indulge in to satisfy my meat cravings. i'm VERY curious how both of our 100 milers will go!

The 100 I ran was in September...Superior Sawtooth 100. Unfortunately had to drop out at 62 miles due to my toes and feet being battered so badly by all the rocks and roots. Running muscles and stomach felt wonderful at that point, no issues whatsoever.

Ultras are definitely far more primal than marathon running. In a marathon (assuming somebody is running it to their optimal ability) a runner is riding that line of going over to burning almost exclusively 100% glycogen. It is in that 80-90% of max HR depending on the athlete. This is the zone that causes much more inflammation within the body. Unfortunately a majority of marathon runners also train in this zone on a daily basis. As Mark mentions, cardio work should be done at a HR less than or equal to 70% of your max HR. Many people are not capable of running at any speed without exceeding this, thus the emphasis on walking. Well trained runners can run for very long periods under 70% of max HR. Heck, I can run at 8:00/mile under 70% max HR. Most people doing a 100 miler are well below that 70% mark for a vast majority of the race.

Good luck on your race, let me know how it turns out!

bonesheal Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Get Primal, it's good to hear this. I've spent a lot of years running. Now I'm recovering from an injury and discovering that I can stay in shape while not running, but I'd like to be able to pick it back up once in a while--it's a good way to see the world you live in.

Daughter of Grok, I hope you write a race report.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12