Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movin' to the weights room- please adapt my program! page

heatherp is offline Senior Member

Movin' to the weights room- please adapt my program!

Shop Now
    Finally I've joined a gym and had my induction to the free weights room. No longer just for the boys...

The PT gave me the following exercises, which Im thinking I'll do low weight/high rep for a couple of weeks to ensure my form is good, and then drop some of them and ramp up the weights (3 sets approx 5reps?) thoug your advice would be awesome! (thinking of dropping exercises marked with *)

Warm-up: 5-10min cardio.
    Assisted chin ups (machine) 2 sets/10 reps
    Pushups: 3 sets/12 reps
    Deadlift: 3 sets/12 reps
    *Tricep rope pulldown: 2 sets/12 reps //superset with tricep dips using 7kg weight
    Squats: 3 sets/12 reps
    *Lunges: 3 sets/12 reps, no weight as my R knee has had an op and want to build up slowly
    *Leg extensions: 3 sets/12 reps
    Plank: ugh. 1min and build up from there.
    Stretch.

Thanks in advance

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Why do you want to drop those exercises? Do they hurt in a bad way? Is there something else you think is more effective?

I would ask the PT what the purpose is for those exercises, and ask for alternatives that you can tolerate, or ask if you can drop them out. Or else I would just make an executive decision and not do them. I'm not sure how much help a bunch of strangers on the internet can be when it comes to rehab in a specific individual.

Personally, I'm not a fan of tricep extensions nor leg extensions- they put weird stresses on my elbows/knees for minimal results, but maybe that's because I haven't done them since my knee was busted up and I was trying to rehab it. The best thing I ever did for my knee was squatting- bodyweight at first, then under a bar.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Needs more squats. 3 x 5 for sure.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Needs more squats. 3 x 5 for sure.
    Also yoga pants.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

monkspeed is offline Member
    Just take it easy on the 5-10 min cardio, just do some slow walking for 5 mins or so. Loosen up your shoulders, neck, do some bodyweight squats, get some blood flowing in.

This is the program I'm using at the mo...

Tuesday
    Deadlift
    Chin ups
    Standing overhead press

Friday
    Squat/(feel free to substitute lunges)
    Dips
    Incline dumbbell bench press.

Drop the tricep workout (they will get worked from the dips and bench).
    Drop the abs (they will get worked from the deadlifts, chins, OHP, and squats, especially when things get heavy).
    Drop the leg extensions, your legs get worked from deadlifts and squats/lunges.

If you can't manage a dip or a chin, then use your legs to jump to the top and then slowly lower yourself.

3 sets x 5 reps sounds good, and use linear progression. Start with an empty Olympic bar (20kg) and each time you successfully get 3 x 5, add 5lbs (2.5kg) to the bar for next time.

:-)

My PB & Workout Log

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Can't fault the monk on this...that's almost exactly what I do with three or four days between sessions and lots of quality food and rest. If my back muscles are sore from the deadlifts the I may have a day with no squats and or deadlifts and do bench pressing and dips but the key is to use as many of your bodies muscles as you can with each exercise. Machines have a place in my workout but only right at the end to finish off my quads if I have been squatting etc
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Why mess around with all the complexity? Just jump into something like a dead-simple Stronglifts 5x5 routine, and off you go! You'll be the toast of the weight room in no time.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    3 sets of 12 reps on deadlift would be something I would re-think. 1 or 2 sets of no more than 8 if you are doing full deadlift, not the straight-legged one. Give the whirl to the rest. PT must have had his or hers reasons to come up with the programme.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Did it ever occur to any of you that the original poster never stated her goals? How in the world can you give advice when you don't know what she's trying to achieve? It doesn't make any sense.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Everybody is Karnac on the internet.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast