Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wait... is this lard hydrogenated? page

Hilary is offline Senior Member

Wait... is this lard hydrogenated?

Primal Fuel
    I've been buying the occasional block of lard from the supermarket. It's a bit harder than butter, solid at room temperature. Then the other day I saved the fat from the belly pork I fried - and that's much, much softer, dropping from the spoon at room temperature.

Hm. Does that mean the supermarket stuff is hydrogenated? The label doesn't say anything about that - but maybe they're not obliged to mention it...?

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    I have never seen lard in a supermarket that wasn't hydrogenated, but I believe it says it is right on the label. I always buy my lard from a butcher.

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I've been buying the occasional block of lard from the supermarket. It's a bit harder than butter, solid at room temperature. Then the other day I saved the fat from the belly pork I fried - and that's much, much softer, dropping from the spoon at room temperature.

Hm. Does that mean the supermarket stuff is hydrogenated? The label doesn't say anything about that - but maybe they're not obliged to mention it...?
    I'm unsure about hydrogenation but from experience the lard you collect from home cooking tastes ten times better then the store bought stuff. Mmmm.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the labelling requirements are different, US vs Europe? (Though normally I thought the EU tended to be fussier...?) This just says ingredients pork lard and vitamin E as antioxidant. But the consistency is suspicious. Maybe I'll just use it to season the pan, not to cook with.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I discovered hydrogenated lard at the local Mexican Grocer and did a double take. The hell's the point of hydrogenating lard? Satfat's are already stable. Just huck it in the damn fridge next to those 200 bloody types of soda if you need to.

M.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Where in the grocery store did you get it from? Refrigerated section or a shelf?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I discovered hydrogenated lard at the local Mexican Grocer and did a double take. The hell's the point of hydrogenating lard? Satfat's are already stable. Just huck it in the damn fridge next to those 200 bloody types of soda if you need to.

M.
    Because lard isn't very high in saturated fat, and modern lard has a polyunsaturated fat content as high as 30%. Even pastured lard is significantly softer than butter. Modern lard is somewhere in between butter and vegetable oil. It isn't something you want sitting out on your counter. You'd have to refrigerate it, and lard isn't often stored in the refrigerated section in the supermarket. They want it sitting out, so it requires hydrogenation.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    I buy jars of goosefat, its says on the jar's ingredients goose fat 100%

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Because lard isn't very high in saturated fat, and modern lard has a polyunsaturated fat content as high as 30%. Even pastured lard is significantly softer than butter. Modern lard is somewhere in between butter and vegetable oil. It isn't something you want sitting out on your counter. You'd have to refrigerate it, and lard isn't often stored in the refrigerated section in the supermarket. They want it sitting out, so it requires hydrogenation.
    Well, I'll be. Learned something today.

M.

steven.kelly is offline Senior Member
    In Australia lard is stored in a supermarket fridge and it says non hydro generated on mine so were lucky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast