Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wait... is this lard hydrogenated? page 2

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    If it's hard, then it's probably hydrogenated. I make lard from cooking down pork fat from the butcher. I refrigerate the lard, and even in the refrigerator it's soft. On another note. I also make my own beef tallow, and that is VERY hard in the refrigerator.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    It's refrigerated. A bit harder than butter.

Well... more coconut oil for me.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    It's refrigerated. A bit harder than butter.
    Hard to say. If it was on the shelf, I'd definitely guess that it's hydrogenated. Does the company have a website or phone number on the package?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    With butter and coconut oil both so inexpensive and so stable, I don't see the point in using lard. Everything that lard can do, the other two can do better. Possibly the best cooking fat in existence is ghee, so if you can make your own from pastured butter you have the ultimate fat -the flavor goes with everything, it is probably the most nutritious fat, it is extremely stable and the smoke point is over 400 degrees.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    The one thing lard does particularly well is condition the cast iron frying pan. More saturated fats are much more likely to stick. However, much as I'm concerned for my frying pan's health and wellbeing...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    The one thing lard does particularly well is condition the cast iron frying pan. More saturated fats are much more likely to stick. However, much as I'm concerned for my frying pan's health and wellbeing...
    Just use bacon fat for that.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    If you don't want to use coconut oil or butter, check out US Wellness meats for tallow.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Or check out FatWorks for beef tallow, duck fat and pork leaf lard. Great little company here in Oregon. They ship all over the country.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Check out Alderspring Ranch Store as well. Organic, grass-fed, grass-finished, 5lb packages. Not as drastic as the 5 gallon bucket at US Wellness.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree, beef tallow is great stuff. I prefer to use that over lard. But like mentioned, coconut oil is great too. We do almost all of our stove top cooking on a large cast iron skillet. 90% of the time we are cooking with tallow or coconut oil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12