Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Carb and not going anywhere. page

kiwigal is offline Senior Member

Low Carb and not going anywhere.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm guessing my body is trying to tell me enough with the low carb diet. Not only have I gained 4 pounds and am finding it impossible to lose it but my energy has tanked!!!! I'm drinking copious amounts of coffee to get through the day and going to work and walking the dog just seems to have become a massive big mountain that I have to climb!!!

I am at 1500 calories per day, 5'0 145 pounds and need to lose a ton of weight to get healthy!!!!

How did people start incorporating carbs back into their diet again?? I have been low carbing for approximately two years!!!

Should I start with tubers, fruit?? Do I slowly add back in carbs.

Ugh. Carbs seem soo foreign and scary to me after not eating them for soo long.

Thanks guys!!!!!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    That's horrible, I'm sorry. I've never low carbed a day in my life, but I don't think it's too complicated beyond the mental barrier of "omg I can eat carbs again." I'd start off with some fruit, then add potatoes if you still feel you're not getting enough.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I'm guessing my body is trying to tell me enough with the low carb diet. Not only have I gained 4 pounds and am finding it impossible to lose it but my energy has tanked!!!! I'm drinking copious amounts of coffee to get through the day and going to work and walking the dog just seems to have become a massive big mountain that I have to climb!!!
    i had the same problem. i dont like rice or bananas. so i tried tropical fruits. oranges. baked potatoes. and cut the fat a fair bit. i am sure, and i cant prove it, that the craving coffee thing is also to help the liver from the excessive dietary fat. i looked into coffee when i gave up for a while and all sorts came up on my google search but there was a study which showed supposedly that coffee had a protective effect on the liver from alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i had the same problem. i dont like rice or bananas. so i tried tropical fruits. oranges. baked potatoes. and cut the fat a fair bit. i am sure, and i cant prove it, that the craving coffee thing is also to help the liver from the excessive dietary fat. i looked into coffee when i gave up for a while and all sorts came up on my google search but there was a study which showed supposedly that coffee had a protective effect on the liver from alcohol.

UGH thanks!!!!!

Did you find when you added in carbs you were able to lose more weight???

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    That's horrible, I'm sorry. I've never low carbed a day in my life, but I don't think it's too complicated beyond the mental barrier of "omg I can eat carbs again." I'd start off with some fruit, then add potatoes if you still feel you're not getting enough.

Thanks soo much!!!! I think I'm gonna start with that.

Low carb can mess with your mind LOL

Jimm is offline Member
    What is your "low carb" goal? Low enough for Ketosis?

If you are peeing Ketones, you're losing fat, regardless of what the scale says. You can have 5 lbs of meat, fat & water in your belly and keep losing fat, so don't use the scale. Use ketone strips and if they turn color, you're doing it right. The energy will come back after phases of carb flu. Entire populations of people ate fish, blubber and the lichens they scraped off rocks for generations and didn't have "energy problems". I would just recommend low activity levels on low energy days. I experience this too, but I never have as much energy as I have when I've pegged the ketone scale for a week straight.

If you are not shooting for ketosis, there is no really way to tell if you are losing weight, except to check the scale after very long bouts of time with consistent behavior. It's very demoralizing to have your weight read higher with no other indicators of your plan working. I encourage you to shoot for the moon. You will get wind under your wings when you see fat going away. You can calorie restrict, but don't nutrient restrict. Get leafy greens and go easy on fruit/fructose.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Diet isn't enough. You need to do a smart exercise program with your Primal diet. I don't care if you do or don't eat carbs.... you are likely not eating enough calories. And before we talk about the 4 lbs gained and the existence or not of "starvation mode" do realize that as a woman you cold have lost 4 lbs of actual fat and gained 8 lbs of water weight for all we know. Water weight in women is notorious for massive swings depending on hormones, timing of your cycle, ect....You need to invest in some calipers and measure fat and body composition. Ditch the scale, it's worse than useless in cases of body comp, especially when your eating a diet that tends to increase lean mass! It lies to you!

So thats my advice. Measure fat, exercise right, and continue to eat primal with or without carbs up to 150g/day from primal sources.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-01-2013 at 01:03 PM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
    If you are peeing Ketones, you're losing fat, regardless of what the scale says. You can have 5 lbs of meat, fat & water in your belly and keep losing fat, so don't use the scale. Use ketone strips and if they turn color, you're doing it right. The energy will come back after phases of carb flu. Entire populations of people ate fish, blubber and the lichens they scraped off rocks for generations and didn't have "energy problems". I would just recommend low activity levels on low energy days. I experience this too, but I never have as much energy as I have when I've pegged the ketone scale for a week straight.
    I don't see how this could possibly be true. As long as you're eating a high fat, moderate protein, and very low carb diet, you'll get into ketosis eventually. But if you eat an excessive amount of fat/calories, then you'll be in ketosis, but you'll simply be burning the fat you've ingested, and if you've consumed more fat than you need, the excess fat will get stored as fat. In that situation, you'll gain fat even though you're in ketosis.

And how is it that this forum editor thingy doesn't recognize ketosis as a word (yet recognizes "thingy," which is technically not a word)?!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    And before we talk about the 4 lbs gained and the existence or not of "starvation mode" do realize that as a woman you cold have lost 4 lbs of actual fat and gained 8 lbs of water weight for all we know. Water weight in women is notorious for massive swings depending on hormones, timing of your cycle, ect....
    Truth. Everything about women is counterintuitive!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    UGH thanks!!!!!

Did you find when you added in carbs you were able to lose more weight???

Thanks!!!
    i am still in the process of getting it all worked out as it hasnt been long with any consistency. i havent been calorie restricting and i am certainly maintaining my weight which is good. carbs dont seem to make you put on weight after all i sleep properly now and i have energy and i can think a lot better. all of which are positive steps. i am also gaining strength in all my lifts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast