Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new to Primal eating - how's my diet? page

dgasoa is offline Junior Member

new to Primal eating - how's my diet?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

Just finished reading Primal Blueprint (great book!) and am going to eat totally Primal for at least 30 days.

My planned diet is:

BREAKFAST
    - bacon and eggs with tomato, mushrooms and peas

LUNCH
    - chicken and stir fried vegetables

DINNER
    - fish and stir friend vegetables (or salad)

SNACKS
    - nuts
    - fruit

Any suggestions for improvement? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for any help with this

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Which oil are you using to stir fry? Use coconut oil where possible and have a smoothie for breakfast with coconut milk, kale and blueberries. Fruit is fine but don't go mad on the really sweet stuff.
    Provenance is important so make sure you're getting the best quality meats you can find and start eating more than just the meat...liver, and connective tissue such as oxtail stews will also give your body the nutrients it needs.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I disagree with the smoothie idea. I think food should be eaten. Chewed. Savored. Many on here do smoothies, so do what you think is right for you.

Just so you know..peas are a legume, so I dont consider them primal. I actually don't know Mark Sisson's stance on them, but if you google "Mark Sisson peas", something will pop up if you are curious about it.

I would caution you about bacon and nuts. You really don't get much bang for your buck, but if you have self control (I don't when it comes to nuts or their butters, so I voted them off my island), they can certainly play a part in your diet.

A lot really depends on your goals, size, and age so there is no one fits all. It's good to start with how it's written and see how it goes for you.

Good luck and enjoy your journey.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Mark is okay with peas, but he concedes it is a legume. He kind of framed it as a personal preference though.

OP: your menu looks pretty primal... So try it out and see if it works. However, I would personally not eat the nuts, chicken and bacon if I want to lose weight. Those are high in omega-6. I would personally eat more red meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    I am not going to chew a load of raw kale and blueberries. I believe that by blending you make it easier to digest and more likely that your body will absorb the minerals whilst retaining the sating effect of the fibre and the benefit of giving your gut flora something to work with. Similar to how you can make compost quicker if you cut it up first.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

alanwil2 is offline Member
    How much fat are you eating? 60%-70% of your daily calories should be from fat. Coconut oil, butter, and cream are good. Some people make bulletproof coffee or eat it raw. Coconut oil can also be mixed with cocoa. The fat will make you feel full and a person can go many hours without feeling hungry. Yesterday, for breakfast I had bulletproof coffee and didn't eat until dinner. I was not hungry at all because my body was burning body fat for fuel. It felt awesome.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Well, the bacon, chicken, peas and tomatoes aren't primal, but if you enjoyed it, who cares?

Rock on!

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanwil2 View Post
    How much fat are you eating? 60%-70% of your daily calories should be from fat. Coconut oil, butter, and cream are good. Some people make bulletproof coffee or eat it raw. Coconut oil can also be mixed with cocoa. The fat will make you feel full and a person can go many hours without feeling hungry. Yesterday, for breakfast I had bulletproof coffee and didn't eat until dinner. I was not hungry at all because my body was burning body fat for fuel. It felt awesome.
    You don't need 60-70% calories from fat. Most people around here have success with much lower fat levels than that. You have to experiment and find out what works out best for you. It's hard to judge your diet without knowing your body stats or goals.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Do you experience any problems? If not, your day looks just fine. Bacon every morning will not work for most folks in the long-term if the fat loss is thought. Make sure that you include quality red meat in the rotation as well.

Cheers!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    I am not going to chew a load of raw kale and blueberries. I believe that by blending you make it easier to digest and more likely that your body will absorb the minerals whilst retaining the sating effect of the fibre and the benefit of giving your gut flora something to work with. Similar to how you can make compost quicker if you cut it up first.
    Kale should be cooked anyways. Humans are much more suited to cooked food in general.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast