Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which fat? page

Which fat?

Shop Now
    Hi,

I have finally sourced a great place in the UK to buy my grass feed beef from. They are also selling grass fed beef dripping and pastured pork lard.

Which is the best type of fat for cooking my beef and eggs in? Is beef dripping essentially the same thing as tallow?

I read about how great duck and goose fat is, but I assume the supermarket sold fats were from conventional grain fed animals.

Any recommendations to get the best beef sausages and eggs?

Thanks a lot guys!

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    I imagine the beef already has fat on it? I'd use that...
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Beef has a better saturated/polyunsaturated ratio than even the best pork, but I'd use all of those choices, just beef more often.

Jimm is offline Member
    I think bacon drippings taste best. Tallow is Beef fat, yes. Bird fat is higher PUFA, I think.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sige_na_please View Post
    Hi,

I have finally sourced a great place in the UK to buy my grass feed beef from. They are also selling grass fed beef dripping and pastured pork lard.

Which is the best type of fat for cooking my beef and eggs in? Is beef dripping essentially the same thing as tallow?

I read about how great duck and goose fat is, but I assume the supermarket sold fats were from conventional grain fed animals.

Thanks a lot guys!
    My understanding is that dripping is the fat that drips from the meat while it's roasting (hence the name). My grandparents used to save this in a jar from the Sunday roast and then use it as a spread on toast throughout the week. It tends to be yellower and softer than tallow, which is beef or Mutton fat that has been rendered and trends to be harder than dropping at room temp.

Rendered pork fat is lard.

It's go for tallow over lard due to the higher sat fat content. Whichever you use, make sure it hasn't been hydrogenated.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sige_na_please View Post
    Hi,

Thanks a lot guys!
    Where is ur source out of interest?

From London England UK

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Step 1: Cook bacon every single morning (its good for you )
    Step 2: Cook everything else you eat for the rest of the day in the left over bacon grease in that pan. EZPZ

Actually I do the same with our ground beef since I buy the best 75/25 beef there is. Lots of yummy fat.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    EZPZ
    Izzat how yoo spell that?

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I cook my steaks in grassfed butter, grassfed ghee, and sometimes beef tallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Izzat how yoo spell that?
    Tis now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast