Thread: Experiment: Oil absorbed in a pork chop during frying page

MsSmith is offline Senior Member

Experiment: Oil absorbed in a pork chop during frying

I have been curious about this so I experimented!

I started with a thin bone in pork chop, 4 ounces.

I put 1 tsp. EVOO and 1 tsp. CO (8 grams total) in a smallish non-stick skillet and fried the pork chop, salt and pepper only. No flouring, no batter.

With a paper towel, I patted the fried pork chop dry on both sides to absorb oil and wiped the remaining oil from the skillet with it. I retrieved the paper towel that the fried pork chop rested/drained/cooled on. I also wiped the plate and my fingers with one of the paper towels. I shook the bits and pieces from the paper towels.

I weighed 2 clean paper towels on a gram scale and then set the display to zero.

I removed them and put the two oily paper towels (same brand) on the gram scale. They weighed 11 grams.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Wait.. so instead of pouring the left over oil overtop of the chop, you wiped it up with a paper towel? I don't get it

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    I have been curious about this so I experimented!

I started with a thin bone in pork chop, 4 ounces.

I put 1 tsp. EVOO and 1 tsp. CO (8 grams total) in a smallish non-stick skillet and fried the pork chop, salt and pepper only. No flouring, no batter.

With a paper towel, I patted the fried pork chop dry on both sides to absorb oil and wiped the remaining oil from the skillet with it. I retrieved the paper towel that the fried pork chop rested/drained/cooled on. I also wiped the plate and my fingers with one of the paper towels. I shook the bits and pieces from the paper towels.

I weighed 2 clean paper towels on a gram scale and then set the display to zero.

I removed them and put the two oily paper towels (same brand) on the gram scale. They weighed 11 grams.
    Good experiment--your inconsistency is from moisture, and that will be hard to overcome. You could fry the pork chop in the oil, pick it up and allow any fat to drain off into the pan, then heat the oil a bit longer to burn off any moisture that leaked out of the meat, and then weigh the remaining oil. I'd guess that half or more is absorbed.

I take it you are doing the experiment because you wonder how much crappy seed oil you used to eat in your SAD days. Quite a bit I tells ya! In fast food establishments, they have to keep adding oil to the fryers because so much disappears into the french fries and McNuggets.

I used to make lots of breaded/fried fish and egg rolls--those soaks up a ton of oil, too.

mvheartscw is offline Junior Member
    I bet that paper towel would have been tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    Wait.. so instead of pouring the left over oil overtop of the chop, you wiped it up with a paper towel? I don't get it
    I was trying to be scientifically disciplined.
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Good experiment--your inconsistency is from moisture, and that will be hard to overcome. You could fry the pork chop in the oil, pick it up and allow any fat to drain off into the pan, then heat the oil a bit longer to burn off any moisture that leaked out of the meat, and then weigh the remaining oil. I'd guess that half or more is absorbed.

I take it you are doing the experiment because you wonder how much crappy seed oil you used to eat in your SAD days. Quite a bit I tells ya! In fast food establishments, they have to keep adding oil to the fryers because so much disappears into the french fries and McNuggets.

I used to make lots of breaded/fried fish and egg rolls--those soaks up a ton of oil, too.
    I was trying to figure out how much oil to add raw meat for my paleotracker to get the stats for fried meat. I didn't even think about moisture from a source other than fat! Next time I will try your suggestion. I don't usually pat the meat on both sides with a paper towel before I eat it.
    48 - 5'7.5"

Quote Originally Posted by mvheartscw View Post
    I bet that paper towel would have been tasty.
    The pork chop sure was! Yummy.
    48 - 5'7.5"

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    I was trying to figure out how much oil to add raw meat for my paleotracker to get the stats for fried meat. I didn't even think about moisture from a source other than fat! Next time I will try your suggestion. I don't usually pat the meat on both sides with a paper towel before I eat it.
    Thinking about it, it's still going to be hard to do, you could also be getting fat from the porkchop mixed in with the cooking fat. Better yet, use a known amount of oil to cook with and then eat all the oil as a sauce on the meat. It should be fairly healthy, as it will have absorbed stuff that leaked out of the meat--just don't heat it to scorching.

But for the sake of your calculation, you could probably assume 50% of the oil you cook with will end up in pork chop.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Thinking about it, it's still going to be hard to do, you could also be getting fat from the porkchop mixed in with the cooking fat. Better yet, use a known amount of oil to cook with and then eat all the oil as a sauce on the meat. It should be fairly healthy, as it will have absorbed stuff that leaked out of the meat--just don't heat it to scorching.

But for the sake of your calculation, you could probably assume 50% of the oil you cook with will end up in pork chop.
    OK, thanks. I know it is not a big deal.
    48 - 5'7.5"