Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Adrenal fatigue fact or fiction page

  1. #1
    MaceyUK's Avatar
    MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    640

    Adrenal fatigue fact or fiction

    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The symptoms of adrenal fatigue sound like general stress and overwork symptoms.
    Is there any precedent for a gland becoming fatigued?
    Is it not more likely that the body becomes resistant to adrenaline and cortisol (as in insulin resistance)?
    I believe the cure for these symptoms is probably the same regardless (destress, chill out, do nice stuff outside) but I'm keen for the primal community not to get tripped up by something that gets debunked.

  2. #2
    dilberryhoundog's Avatar
    dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    The symptoms of adrenal fatigue sound like general stress and overwork symptoms.
    Is there any precedent for a gland becoming fatigued?
    Is it not more likely that the body becomes resistant to adrenaline and cortisol (as in insulin resistance)?
    I believe the cure for these symptoms is probably the same regardless (destress, chill out, do nice stuff outside) but I'm keen for the primal community not to get tripped up by something that gets debunked.
    When some one gets insulin resistance the body has to greatly increase its production of insulin to get the same effect as a normal health person, this fatigues the beta cells in the pancreas, which leads to the delayed/ reduced production we see in T2 diabetics.

    I imagine the same effect would happen to the adrenals if your "adrenaline and cortisol resistance" holds true. The production gets ramped up to overcome the reduced sensitivity. This then fatigues the adrenal organs


    Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

  3. #3
    MaceyUK's Avatar
    MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    640
    Yes but are they capable of becoming fatigued...
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

  4. #4
    Rueben's Avatar
    Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    144
    Adrenal Fatigue is very real for me. I am a totally different person than I was 6 to 9 months ago. I am working out every day and have ENERGY!

    I had saliva testing and my cortisol was rock bottom I went on Dr Wilson's adrenal supplements and within a couple of weeks was feeling a million times better. I have had my cortisol tested again, and I'm normal.

    Don't knock it unless you have experienced it. Being a little stressed is not adrenal fatigue.

  5. #5
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,784
    I think it's real. I have a hypothesis that caffeine consumption in both tea and coffee masks the problem a great deal. Caffeine might help with artificial highs, but sleep pattern gets eroded. Once I have stopped ingesting caffeine in all forms, after a few weeks, I was confronted with a completely unnatural fatigue, as in "I cannot move for 2 days' fatigue.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  6. #6
    MaceyUK's Avatar
    MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    Adrenal Fatigue is very real for me. I am a totally different person than I was 6 to 9 months ago. I am working out every day and have ENERGY!

    I had saliva testing and my cortisol was rock bottom I went on Dr Wilson's adrenal supplements and within a couple of weeks was feeling a million times better. I have had my cortisol tested again, and I'm normal.

    Don't knock it unless you have experienced it. Being a little stressed is not adrenal fatigue.
    So who is Dr Wilson then?
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

  7. #7
    Skylark's Avatar
    Skylark is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27
    Dr Wilson's site:
    http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/
    I think it is very real. I have had to give up caffeine entirely to rid myself of adrenal fatigue symptoms. Most of his other recommendations correspond well with primal - similar dietary recommendations, get to bed by ten, that sort of thing.

  8. #8
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,377
    Unfortunately, there's a lot of interaction between the adrenals, the hypothalamus, and the pituitary gland. That's why I've heard a lot more talk about HPA-axis dysregulation than adrenal fatigue lately. But yeah, minimize stress, get lots of sleep when it's dark (and see some light during daytime), minimize huge blood sugar swings and all that. If you still have symptoms, time to discuss supplementation or consider actually seeing a practitioner. I don't think Chris Kresser is taking on new patients presently, but I'd get on his waiting list if I felt I had this problem.

  9. #9
    Heather Clark, PharmD's Avatar
    Heather Clark, PharmD is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2
    Adrenal fatigue (also known as burnout or HPA axis dysfunction) is real. It isn't so much that the gland itself has fatigued, but the whole feedback loop gets messed up. There is chronic stress (mental, lifestyle/diet, or otherwise) which creates a fight, flight, or freeze response in the body. This response is super helpful when running from a bear, but when it doesn't shut off--as in chronic stress--the reaction ends up creating more stress and perpetuating the problem. This creates an imbalance, and if it goes on long enough the imbalance can create changes in how the body works. If that goes on long enough, then you get symptoms of which fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, and moodiness are the most common. I use a variation of the primal diet along with mindfulness, supplements, and other approaches to fast-track recovery for my clients.

  10. #10
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather Clark, PharmD View Post
    Adrenal fatigue (also known as burnout or HPA axis dysfunction) is real. It isn't so much that the gland itself has fatigued, but the whole feedback loop gets messed up. There is chronic stress (mental, lifestyle/diet, or otherwise) which creates a fight, flight, or freeze response in the body. This response is super helpful when running from a bear, but when it doesn't shut off--as in chronic stress--the reaction ends up creating more stress and perpetuating the problem. This creates an imbalance, and if it goes on long enough the imbalance can create changes in how the body works. If that goes on long enough, then you get symptoms of which fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, and moodiness are the most common. I use a variation of the primal diet along with mindfulness, supplements, and other approaches to fast-track recovery for my clients.
    Well damn. We have a real expert here rather than an interwebz dilettante! Tell us more, some of us really like to "geek out" on this stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •