Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this insulin resistance? page

Muppet is offline Senior Member

Is this insulin resistance?

Shop Now
    So here's my little story - up until about a year ago I weighed 117, give or take. I am female, 5'4" and 42. This past year I gained about eight pounds. I didn't think my eating had changed much, but I wanted to work on my healing my gut so about three months ago I did an autoimmune paleo diet for about five weeks, which was basically almost carb free. I lost those eight pounds, I felt fantastic and I became regular (a first for me!). But I was getting some wicked insomnia so I decided to move to a perfect health diet protocol. I started eating more starchy carbs and a little fruit. Probably about 100 grams of carbs a day. I immediately gained back those eight pounds. All in my stomach. It does not look healthy or muscular but more puffy.

So is it the starchy carbs? Have my previous 38 years of horrible eating made me insulin resistant? Any insight?
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    You need to get some blood work done. Anything else is hearsay.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

I had blood work done a year ago and three months ago. All wan within normal range and no red flags (I have a paleo dr who doesn't freak at my 250 cholesterol). I also had my total western med dad/dr check the blood results and not see any problems
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

otzi Guest
    Here's what I say...

You lost a bunch of water weight on your low carb diet and then gained it back. Lots of 42 year old women have a poochy belly. Doesn't mean you are insulin resistant. You may well be insulin resistant, but I doubt it. Stick with PHD, play with carbs but don't go below 100g/day!

I would say that there is a big difference between "not seeing any problems" and a strong insulin response. What "no problems" likely means is that you had a fasting BG that was not over 126, thus you weren't tagged as diabetic.

What you are asking about in more general terms is whether you have metabolic syndrome....this can cause the affects of dieting to not be as strong as one would like, as caloric restriction alone tends to lose less fat that it otherwise would, due to prolonged high insulin.

To get this ideally tested, you would need a fasting BG, an Hba1c, and a 100g glucose test. Putting these together, the true metabolic condition can be better assessed. None of these should be terribly expensive, and they are constantly moving. This makes them great motivators for any regimen, because you can SEE your progress in concrete numbers
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Fasting is 85 and hba1c was 4.9. I never did the glucose test, even when pregnant.

Wow. Then no. You are kicking ass. Well done

Sub 5%'s make a little tear form in the corner of my eye.

So then it must just be my eating choices....? Hmmmm...less carbs? Less food?

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Go see if WellnessFX is in your area and get a panel done with them. There's no reason to speculate anything -- we have the ability to easily get objective results.

poing is offline Member
    This could be about cortisol.

Raging insomnia and belly fat suggest high cortisol.

I've read about a few cases where people on paleo/autoimmune diets end up with high cortisol. Not eating enough carbs can be a physical stress for some people, especially if they have low thyroid function... so the release of more adrenal hormones might be a mechanism for maintaining blood sugar when a person is not eating enough carbs for their particular situation.

The tests will show good blood glucose control, i.e. low fasting blood glucose and HbA1c because your diet is so clean... no glucose or stuff that digests to glucose. If there is a problem with cortisol/insulin, those tests won't pick it up.

If you want tests, then I would look at cortisol and what actually happens to glucose/insulin after you eat something sugary/starchy (I think that's called the HOMA test).
    Last edited by poing; 10-01-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast