Thread: New here - looking for weight loss tips page

MetalFan is offline Junior Member

New here - looking for weight loss tips

Hello everyone,

I am a 40 yo female. Very overweight. I need to lose about 150 lbs, if not more. I followed a primal diet in February of this year and lost 20 lbs in a month. I am in my 4th week this time and most of the normal symptoms are gone (I no longer want to murder my coworkers any more than usual.) I am still very tired. I have arthritis in my hip and can only sleep 4-5 hours a night before I'm in too much pain and have to get up. I have PCOS and resolved post partum cardiomyopathy (10 years since dx, ejection fraction 55%). I'm on a high dose of beta blocker, metformin, and Welbutrin. I haven't had the same results this time, only about a 10 lb loss in a month. I have lessened my calories by 200 each week to make adapting easier. Currently doing 1.5 mi per day in 30 minutes on my treadmill. And starting some resistance/weight training. I am limited to a heart rate of 138 bpm and limited by sheer body mass on certain exercises (planking, push ups). As far as food ratio I am eating 60% fat, 25% protein, 15% carbs. I'm here looking for a support system in my journey. Please be nice, but I welcome honest advice =)

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyCohen View Post
    better go to gym for regular workouts
    have green tea
    avoid alcohol
    get a fat free diet
    WTF?
    Have you seen "the leptin reset"? It is an add-on to TPB written by a doctor who also knows about hormonal issues, including PCOS.. Basic beginner strategy, " eat more, exercise less".
    My personal observation of Wellbutrin is that it increases anxiety not decreases.
    How are you not on a statin? I think it is great if you are not but I am curious how you avoided it.
    Ten pounds a month is actually a great rate of weight loss, especially if you are already following some of the tenets of your first attempt.

I am on fenofibrate, I forgot! My cholesterol was fine until I started on the beta blocker in 2005. The Welbutrin has been the best of the worst. I've been on several meds for depression over the years. I will look up Leptin Reset, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    That is awesome that you are trying to improve your health!

I would suggest taking a pain killer if you are able to, to help you sleep longer. Maybe discus this with your doctor as what would be best to help with your sleep and not interfere with the other medications your on. The more weight you lose the less pain you should be in

Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    That is awesome that you are trying to improve your health!

I would suggest taking a pain killer if you are able to, to help you sleep longer. Maybe discus this with your doctor as what would be best to help with your sleep and not interfere with the other medications your on. The more weight you lose the less pain you should be in

Thank you for the encouragement. Unfortunately, my doctor doesn't feel that a pain killer would help me with my long term goals. He has given me an rx for opiates on a short term basis (10 days), but the hip is not something that will go away, at least in the short term. I haven't found anything over the counter to help, either. I do exercises for it at home and I go to a chiropractor.

Celainemccoy is offline Junior Member
    Ten pounds is fantastic and good for you! I am just getting back on track and have about 100 lbs to lose, glad to see I am not alone. I would think that not pushing yourself too hard and not over focusing on calories would be the key. Try focusing on how you feel and how your clothes fit, that's what I generally do or I get too obsessed with weight and calories. Good luck!

Thanks. I am going to try not counting calories for the next month and possibly not weighing myself *gasp.* That is a huge step for me. I will have to report back on how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    My recommendation would be to add resistance training either at home or at a gym. My greatest weight loss success has always been diet combined with resistance training.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    My suggestion is to focus FIRST on eating for optimal health, one issue at a time. A body in crisis is less likely to release the weight. You may find that an optimal health diet will result in weight loss as a byproduct of optimal health. This doesn't include counting calories. Do your research an experiment with foods that make you feel good. For starters, reducing inflammation may help you sleep better.

Have you read this success story?
    The Complete Story Behind the Woman That Lost 88 Pounds in Seconds | Mark's Daily Apple
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Heya and welcome home. First off you should stop thinking in terms of weight loss. Think in terms of eating a healthy diet as Sandra said and let health happen so that weight loss will come in time.

I would look up Jason Seib at everyday paleo and read his book, "the Paleo Coach" he specializes in helping women loose weight and get healthy. Most of my advice is based on his and Robb Wolfs versions of paleo.

Find a goal in life that motivates you to get better. Make it something that you want to do and would do no matter what but it has to be important to you, not just to get skinny. That way lies failure when your motivation flags. I will never give up being a dad and will fight for every minute I can have with my children and wife. That is my motivation for doing this, not just to get skinny.

Stick to a basic paleo woe and get it dialed and keep it there for a year or so before you try to mess about with hacks and tricks.

Eat 1 gram of protein for every lb of current weight, I measure non starchy veggies as a double handful for every meal and fats should be used to cook or dress foods and not as a huge percentage of your calories. Dont be afraid of them and later on you can probably increase the amount you eat if you like but they are mostly empty calories and right now you should be maxing the nutrients you eat per calorie so you can get healthy.

I would avoid a lot of starchy veggies for now but everyone processes starchy carbs differently and some folks do better with more or less, you will have to figure out where you run best. Start low carb for a few weeks and see how you do before upping carbs. I do best at 50 to 100 grams a day if I am busy and much less than 50 if not.

I would walk as much as you can every day, multiple times a day if possible. Find ways to fit it into your day even 100 yards at a time if you need to. The lifting workouts should be as heavy as you can 2 or 3 times a week for 2 or 3 reps. No more than that just yet. Add more as you can but for now dont stress about it.

Stress, yes manage your stress, meditate, sleep better eliminate anything that stresses you if you can.

Hope this helps
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.